DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mini 3 Pro Micro SD usage/space vs DJI RC Micro SD usage/space?

boldblue737

Reactions
I use 256 gb cards in my drones including the Mini 3 Pro (which I intend to upgrade to the 4 Pro this week) but I've just never got around to putting a card in the DJI RC. I need to change that... my question is I assume the storage needs of the video saved by the DJI RC is considerable less because it is recording a much lower resolution file. Maybe I'm overthinking this, but I'm curious if anyone knew HOW much less space it uses for the same amount of 4K 30 or 60 video from the drone? Bottom line? I'm wondering if a full 256 gb card inside the drone would be equivalent to a full 128 gb or 64 gb card in the DJI RC... yeah, I know, this is more than a bit in the weeds.

I don't know for sure but I've found a couple of things to be helpful. The amount of spaces on a microSD card is so cheap that you would be ok to simply assume whatever you put in the drone you can also put into your RC and it really won't cost you anything i.e. the actual calculation is irrelevant (because it's too complex) and I would just go with 128GB; you can't go wrong with half.

Reactions: MS Coast
I don't know for sure but I've found a couple of things to be helpful. The amount of spaces on a microSD card is so cheap that you would be ok to simply assume whatever you put in the drone you can also put into your RC and it really won't cost you anything i.e. the actual calculation is irrelevant (because it's too complex) and I would just go with 128GB; you can't go wrong with half.

like I said... I'm overthinking it. I get super fast great 256 gb cards for $25-30 and I bet I can do 128gb for $15-20 so that's what I'll do. thanks... that's too obvious lol.

I've just never got around to putting a card in the DJI RC. I need to change that...
Why?
What do you want the cached low-res video for?

I'm wondering if a full 256 gb card inside the drone would be equivalent to a full 128 gb or 64 gb card
The cached video would probably be around 1/4 the filesize of the equivalent full resolution video.
But what would you want it for anyway?

I have found low res useful as backup in case of bad accident or fly away. I have some bad crashes and fly aways over the years and having controller based files helped me analyze what happened . (and find one drone that was on top of a chimeny.)

Reactions: Ridefreak
Why?
What do you want the cached low-res video for?

The cached video would probably be around 1/4 the filesize of the equivalent full resolution video.
But what would you want it for anyway?

My thoughts were having it for a fly away as well as capturing screen recordings of the UI details of the flight for review (speeds, camera settings etc.) Bottom line is the feature is available and with the low cost of small capacity micro SD cards I figured why not...

I have found low res useful as backup in case of bad accident or fly away. I have some bad crashes and fly aways over the years and having controller based files helped me analyze what happened .
My thoughts were having it for a fly away
The recorded flight data from the phone, tablet or controller are the most important information to find the cause of flight incidents or find lost drones.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PilotOne