DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Corp of Engineers Dams & Locks no fly zones?

Totally national security I would think, other than a nuke if you wanted to cause massive casualties destroy a dam. Everything for 10's to hundreds of miles would be destroyed!

I'm actually surprised dams aren't NFZ by default.
Cheers

Destroy a dam with a drone?

Survey and 3D map. I'm not saying it's a high risk or even a low one but NFZ are put in place for less.

If you want to destroy a dam then you don't need a drone to map it first. Can you point to an NFZ in place for less?

Reactions: badaxed and macoman
If you want to destroy a dam then you don't need a drone to map it first. Can you point to an NFZ in place for less?
No I probably couldn't, not something I pay much attention to.

But from an engineering standpoint a survey by a drone could help pin point weaknesses that could be exploited. I do remember that ISIS in iraq had a plan to blow up a dam or two. But this is all speculation on my part.

I don't think this possibility is nearly as far fetched as the American military banning fitness trackers because they could be used to help plan an attack.
Cheers

Thanks, TVA has covered all the bases. Dam’s are off limits and as I read it so is any other property all they have to charge you with is harassing wildlife. That puts drone operator on the defense and we all know even if you win in court you lose money. Thanks again, I will just mark that off the list of opportunities. Had I known what I know now I would have never bought a drone or considered this hobby. I want be buying any newer drones going forward. This will be a short lived hobby for me. I wanted to do the 107 license to be a better owner/operator, now that desire is diminishing as yet another point of interest is squashed due to government regulations. Too old to fight the Gov, Don’t want lawyers bleeding me dry.

Thanks, TVA has covered all the bases. Dam’s are off limits and as I read it so is any other property all they have to charge you with is harassing wildlife. That puts drone operator on the defense and we all know even if you win in court you lose money. Thanks again, I will just mark that off the list of opportunities. Had I known what I know now I would have never bought a drone or considered this hobby. I want be buying any newer drones going forward. This will be a short lived hobby for me. I wanted to do the 107 license to be a better owner/operator, now that desire is diminishing as yet another point of interest is squashed due to government regulations. Too old to fight the Gov, Don’t want lawyers bleeding me dry.
Don't give up on the hobby just yet, as there are plenty of other interesting places to fly. I have gotten some amazing shots near my house, snow fall, sunsets, fog....you name it. I've also flown at some beautiful state parks, and has of yet, not had any issues.

One of my favorite videos was one I shot @ Lake Sherwood:

And USAC

There are several airfields like that, just keep a good record of your contact with them.
I am in that same situation with small airfields. Hope your experience is different the following is my latest conversation with Nashville airport and Gallatin airport. I stopped by Gallatin couple months ago they have no air traffic controller was given a piece of paper with Nashville airport number and radio frequency to call for checkin/approval. I have called Nashville several times informing/asking for clearance to fly my drone. The Nashville person answering is different each time and gives a different worded answer each time but consistently tells me to contact Gallatin airport, when I tell them Gallatin said call Nashville the Nashville airport person gets annoyed and refers me to Gallatin and says goodbye. This past Sunday Gallatin airport person said I guess it is ok but I can’t really give you the Ok. I am on the very edge of the circle on the B4 U fly app, my DJI RC gives me warning I am within 5 mile radius contact airport. I am trying to figure out if I can workout a reasonable protocol with Gallatin airport. I am new drone owner and was just looking to new hobby that blends with my passion for photography may need to abandon drones.

Don't give up on the hobby just yet, as there are plenty of other interesting places to fly. I have gotten some amazing shots near my house, snow fall, sunsets, fog....you name it. I've also flown at some beautiful state parks, and has of yet, not had any issues.

Thanks, I have a small state park named Bledsoe but it is within the 5 mile circle. I will keep looking for opportunities and use the drone where I can till I can justify or drone tears up after Refresh expires. The thrill is gone for me. I don’t live in geographical areas that even come close to open spaces that could offer opportunities to fly and capture. Amazing piece of equipment and blows my mind, just came to the game too late. General public drone owners and over protective governance has ruined drone ownership for me. All the best to you and other drone owners. This is my once and done endeavor. $1500 I feel like I should have applied to newer camera body instead.

That video is beautiful thanks for sharing and the encouragement. Happy New Year and safe travels. We did the motor home scene for over 13 years and loved everything about it even when things broke it was a challenge to fix and get back on the road. Fun times indeed.

Loopers..what I see most of are snow birds going south then back up in the spring . :p
View attachment 58187View attachment 58188 just screen shots from raw footage.
Just cut this for ya, ya never know what you gonna come up on.These boats where waiting to lock through and when he saw me I yawed back and forth like to wave at him when he saw me and he waved back .:p
Lots of barge traffic also :)

Thankfully you didn't come around too quick and get an eyeful before he zipped up. lol

Corp Of Eng sites have always been No Fly Areas for as long as I can remember. This was long before "drones" were even entered into the dictionary as aircraft.

Keep in mind that if an entity is deemed "Sensitive Infrastructure" ( detainment facility, energy production, water containment, nuclear anything etc) it becomes a No Fly Area per the FAA. I don't know who or how it is deemed "Sensitive Infrastructure" but once it is it's off limits per National Security measures.

What's troubling is how in the world are we, John Q. Public, supposed to know this unless there is a GROUP effort for all of these facilities to be included in the Electronic Interface (aka App). Even if they place signs up at the facility we all know we "could" be flying from land several hundred yards (or more) away and not see the signs. If it's not in the App or on a Sectional (most hobby operators don't know what a sectional is let alone carry one and reference it for flights) how in the world can we know ahead of time? WE CAN'T!!

I think this is a classic example of the technology (sUAS) growing faster than the rules, laws, and regulators are able to handle.

Reactions: Rich55
Corp Of Eng sites have always been No Fly Areas for as long as I can remember. This was long before "drones" were even entered into the dictionary as aircraft.

Keep in mind that if an entity is deemed "Sensitive Infrastructure" ( detainment facility, energy production, water containment, nuclear anything etc) it becomes a No Fly Area per the FAA. I don't know who or how it is deemed "Sensitive Infrastructure" but once it is it's off limits per National Security measures.

What's troubling is how in the world are we, John Q. Public, supposed to know this unless there is a GROUP effort for all of these facilities to be included in the Electronic Interface (aka App). Even if they place signs up at the facility we all know we "could" be flying from land several hundred yards (or more) away and not see the signs. If it's not in the App or on a Sectional (most hobby operators don't know what a sectional is let alone carry one and reference it for flights) how in the world can we knowI was at ahead of time? WE CAN'T!!

I think this is a classic example of the technology (sUAS) growing faster than the rules, laws, and regulators are able to handle.
Great example I was at Ft Donelson a federal park that today maybe better known for eagle nesting than civil war battleground. I knew no drones in federal parks but if I had not there was a 6 inch by 6 inch sign posted on one of the outlooks no drone flying. Trying not to make anymore trouble for the drone family I would not even considered flying out of caution and love for the eagles that live there.

Reactions: AMann and BigAl07
Thankfully you didn't come around too quick and get an eyeful before he zipped up. lol
No kidding and really didn't know just what he was doing till it was to late .
I mostly get the barges but when the snow birds come down and am lucky enough to go out and get some pictures I do . Some have some really nice boats .

Ok, I have kind of an update. Spoke with a local airport manager who is a pilot, and is familiar with part 107. He stated that the only thing the Corp can restrict, is drones taking off and landing on their property (which we were definitely at fault for). They have zero authority on the airspace above the dam, the only agency that can restrict that airspace is the FAA, and the dam in question was not, and never has been, a no fly zone. He said they may try to mention the old 75' private airspace law, but as long as we were at least 150' to 200' above the dam (which we were), there was no worry.

I am still going to get some information directly from the FAA, and will report back when I do, but it may not be till this whole shutdown ends.

I flew around Fontana Dam for a few hours while talking to 4-5 TVA employees. I stupidly didn’t know, so I asked them and they told me there’s drones flying there almost every day. I found out afterwards that that Dam is the main power supply for the whole area-Tennessee/Virginia.
The second time flying around there, another drone was also flying at the same time.
This was for the Miata’s at the GAP 2017 week when 100’s of Miatas met for a Club run.
b5dfbc8060c5a82172213d81467e4462.jpg

Still unclear after reading the post before mine, so I’ll just steer clear of anything with power near it.

Last edited:
Reactions: Rich55 and BigAl07
I flew around Fontana Dam for a few hours while talking to 4-5 TVA employees. I stupidly didn’t know, so I asked them and they told me there’s drones flying there almost every day. I found out afterwards that that Dam is the main power supply for the whole area-Tennessee/Virginia.
The second time flying around there, another drone was also flying at the same time.
This was for the Miata’s at the GAP 2018 week when 100’s of Miatas met for a Club run.
b5dfbc8060c5a82172213d81467e4462.jpg

Still unclear after reading the post before mine, so I’ll just steer clear of anything with power near it.

Great pic! That's right up the road from where I'm at. Spend a lot of time on Lake Fontana and the surrounding area (Tail of the Dragon).

I'm not sure how this wold play out in court (remember if they claim National Safety all bets are off) but here is what the TVA "allows/restricts" in terms of sUAS on and OVER TVA property:

Rules for Use of Undeveloped TVA Public Lands

Drones and other unmanned aerial vehicles (UAVs)
  • Drones may be operated on or over undeveloped TVA public lands in accordance with applicable federal, state, and local laws, rules and regulations, unless otherwise posted. Please note, however, that public operation of drones is prohibited on developed TVA public lands as outlined in the Rules for Use of Developed TVA Public Lands section below.
  • Operation of drones may not harass, harm or otherwise interfere with any person, personal or real property, natural resources, wildlife or TVA operations or activities on or over TVA public lands.
  • Drones may not be abandoned. Unattended drones may not be left overnight. Any unattended drones are subject to immediate removal at TVA’s sole discretion.
  • Violators will be subject to immediate removal from TVA property and all applicable civil or criminal remedies. Owners and/or operators of drones are liable for any and all consequences or damages caused by the possession, operation or use of a drone. TVA assumes no liability with regard to the operation or use of drones.

Rules for Use of Developed TVA Public Lands

Drones and other unmanned aerial vehicles (UAVs)
  • Public operation of drones is prohibited on and over all developed TVA public lands, facilities or structures--including but not limited to TVA dam reservations and developed recreation areas (such as campgrounds and day-use areas)—as well as power plant reservations, power substations and transmission lines, unless permitted by applicable law or regulation.
  • Violators will be subject to immediate removal from TVA property and all applicable civil or criminal remedies. Owners and/or operators of drones are liable for any and all consequences or damages caused by the possession, operation or use of a drone. TVA assumes no liability with regard to the operation or use of drones.
  • TVA may, on a case by case basis and in its sole discretion, approve operations of drones on or above the aforementioned areas. Requests for approval must be submitted to TVA’s Public Land Information Center at 1-800-882-5263 or [email protected].
Find out more about recreation on developed TVA public lands.

TVA - Rules for Use of TVA Public Lands

Thanks for that info. Not sure, but that might have been the same # I called and the person told me to get in touch with someone at the Dam location for permission.... the TVA employees thought it was ok too.
A lot of rules changed since my time there too. (I edited my first post, it was 2017)

It’ll just be a “never again “ kinda thing.

Last edited:
Thanks for that info. Not sure, but that might have been the same # I called and the person told me to get in touch with someone at the Dam location for permission.... the TVA employees thought it was ok too.
It’ll just be a “never again “ kinda thing.

Lots of differing answers which only makes it that much harder to attempt to do the right thing LOL

We were contacted by a media production company (back in 2015) to possibly go fly the dam for them for a TV Commercial. The red tape was silly and the insurance requirement was a MIN of $200M.... that is NOT a typo.... I've got the details in am email somewhere and I called and said, "This sheet says $200M.... I think there's a typo in the requirements". The guy said, "That's not a typo. We have to make sure you're covered if you drone flies into the equipment and creates a massive power outage for the millions of customers we service down stream."

I didn't end up bidding on that project but I'm sure someone either flew it w/o asking or they paid the $$ and got the insane amount of insurance for the day.

Last August, I flew in Deer Creek State Park (Ohio) and was informed by a model airplane enthusiast that I could fly the drone legally there IF it did NOT have a camera onboard. I did, of course, have a camera and was actively making a video at the time. When I asked him what the rationale for that rule was, he said he knew but was "not allowed to tell me." I immediately landed, packed up, and went home - and never returned to that park. The only notification I could find anywhere of this regulation was the small print on a sign at the entrance to the model aircraft flying area:Corp of Engineers - sign.png

Destroy a dam with a drone?
There's a CoE earthen Dam nearby and drone flights are prohibited near it yet there is a public highway on top of it. You can't fly a Mavic there but you can drive a multi-ton semi truck over it. Also, CoE prohibits Drones anywhere near the lake because it's a water supply yet anyone can take their boat out on the surface. Huh?

Reactions: gerrymad
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
miguelmas