DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Crack in prop

john2k

Reactions
I managed to clip a tree using quickshots. Luckily the drone recovered itself, at first I thought it lost signal but upon inspecting the footage later at night it seemed to have clipped a tree and one of the props has a crack. I didn't see the crack on that day and continued flying and it flew fine. I don't have any spare props with me and need to fly, is it a no no to fly with one cracked prop?

A pic of the crack.

Attachments

• 20190820_082226.jpg
    20190820_082226.jpg
    1,005.7 KB · Views: 200
I managed to clip a tree using quickshots. Luckily the drone recovered itself, at first I thought it lost signal but upon inspecting the footage later at night it seemed to have clipped a tree and one of the props has a crack. I didn't see the crack on that day and continued flying and it flew fine. I don't have any spare props with me and need to fly, is it a no no to fly with one cracked prop?
Let me ask you this:
Would you get in an airplane that has a crack in it's wing or show any external defect/damage?

Reactions: Drgnfli and Shon
as the PIC what do yo think ?

is it a no no to fly with one cracked prop?
It's best to replace props as soon as you notice any damage. With a crack that large, I'd be worried that the hub area (where the prop connects to the motor) is also damaged. If that prop flies off mid-flight, you're likely going to need to replace more than a prop.

It's best to replace props as soon as you notice any damage. With a crack that large, I'd be worried that the hub area (where the prop connects to the motor) is also damaged. If that prop flies off mid-flight, you're likely going to need to replace more than a prop.

How can I check if hub area is damaged? Should I replace all the props as a set even though the other 3 look fine but as it was a blind hit I'm not sure if any of the other props hit anything

I'm very far away from home so trying to source some props so I can do some flying. Only props that seem readily available are the DJI spark props and the props for Mavic and Mavic pro 2. I take it these won't fit my Mavic air?

How can I check if hub area is damaged?
Visually inspect it for damage.

Should I replace all the props
You only need to replace the props that have been damaged. The other props should be find if they didn't strike anything solid.

Only props that seem readily available are the DJI spark props and the props for Mavic and Mavic pro 2. I take it these won't fit my Mavic air?
No -- you need to use Mavic Air props. Here are some places where you can buy them:

Surely for the sake of £20, replace all of the props just for peace of mind if nothing else. If that blade shears off in flight, not only will you severely damage your drone but possibly seriously hurt someone as it comes down.

Reactions: Stormin
Visually inspect it for damage.

So, remove the props and inspect it or inspect the actual arm housing etc? I'm sure the air comes with a spare set of props if I'm not mistaken but problem is I think it's in the box at home which isn't helpful at the moment

Reactions: Thomas B
Are there tests that can be run to check stability after installing new props?

Would you fly in a commercial airplane if there was a crack in its propeller?

The feedback you're getting is appropriate and your gut feeling is what drove you to asking the question. The answer is no, don't fly. Toss the propeller and snap in a new one. If you can't get a new one then you're grounded until you buy a new one, lesson learned for next trip, always pack spares. Props need to be in factory perfect shape, they're spinning at 4-9 thousand rpm, any imperfections in it's structure will eventually lead to catastrophic failure.

Don’t fly with a visibly damaged prop. I doubt any flying you want to do is worth losing your entire drone. Let this be a lesson to you... always travel with a set of extra props.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Philip Chura