DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Crack on my drone

looopson

Reactions
I pulled out my drone this evening for some flying action and noticed this crack on top of it.

20170825_192139.jpg

I've been flying it a lot lately and it's been very hot... in the 90s. I'm wondering if this crack was caused by excessive heat? I notice my cell phone protection screen also had a crack on it from heat.

That plastic piece on top sure seems pretty cheap for such an expense piece of machinery. It looks like just the piece alone can be replaced though...

Does anyone know whether this would be covered under DJI's standard warranty? I bought it back in March. I also have DJI Refresh for another 6 months or so...

I have a feeling this crack might get bigger too. I read these were problematic on earlier DJI products.

Thanks for any help.

Seems to me I have seen at least one other post with that same issue in the same exact spot. It started as a little bulge and then cracked. Wasn't too long ago -- may want to look it up and see how that ended up.

There are many threads on this as the cracks start out as bumps. Sometimes two, and then progress to cracks in some cases.
Do a thread search for "bumps on top..."

First, it is a slight stress crack where the front top clicks to the middle frame and is pulled down so under stress and much heat as you have said the plastic has cracked. Second, it will not affect the Mavic or let go or probably won't proceed any further and although looks a little unsightly is perfectly OK. It's just weather you can tolarate it or not.
Thirdly, to send it back for repair, you may not get your Mavic back, but a refurbished one and you waist one of your care refresh. A replacement part online is only $15 and very easy to replace (plenty utube vids) just 10 screws and the GPS under the back top of frame.
Personally I'd order on line a spare and just have it ready to replace if the need arises or it does deteriate or if you can't stand to see your baby looking like that.
But remember if you do replace yourself you remove a warranty screw witch could invalidate warrenty on further crashes that may arise. Just saying.

Thanks for all of your feedback.

I use a pretty sturdy hard shell case (photos below). I bought it from a thirty-party seller on Newegg. I've been using it for about a month and it's extremely tough.

If I do the install myself on that particular piece, does it invalidate the standard warranty I have with the drone (I don't know for how long...) AND the DJI Care Refresh as well?

If the crack is being caused by excessive heat from the drone (or battery?) I would anticipate it happening again if I'm flying hard in the hotter temperatures with the new piece on it too. It makes me wonder if those lipo batteries have ever just burst...20170825_201816.jpg 20170825_201840.jpg

Does anyone else have access to your MP? Just asking because the crack does not look like it was caused by heat stress. Looks like the MP had an impact with an evergreen bush or tree. The greenery is wedged in the crack. Good luck in the repairs.

It didn't crash in to a bush. I had it in the grass when I noticed the crack. I picked it up and put it on my backpack to snap a photo. A piece of grass shaving must have got in to the crack when it was sitting on the grass and I transferred it to my backpack to snap a photo.

If you think it's the case though, I should definitely invest in something else. I have the DJI shoulder bag from the Fly Combo set they make but I think it's far too small so that's why I bought the hard case. It was hard to pull it out of the bag every time I wanted to use it.

Last edited:
Looks to me more like something has squashed the top of the Mavic. The leading edge of the body beneath the damaged area is bulging out when is should be flush.

upload_2017-8-26_14-56-30.png

If someone inadvertently stepped on it or something pinched it in the combo case something like this might occur.

Reactions: looopson
Looks to me more like something has squashed the top of the Mavic. The leading edge of the body beneath the damaged area is bulging out when is should be flush.

View attachment 20547

If someone inadvertently stepped on it or something pinched it in the combo case something like this might occur.

Hopefully replacing the top cover will do the trick... If it's bulging out like you were able to show in your up-close picture though, I would hope I can still snap the new top cover back in without having to buy more parts like the lower frame too! I have no idea how this happened.... I am extremely careful handling this thing...

I have access to six Mavics right now. A couple of them display the bulges at the front of the top cover as other people have reported but none have cracks. Unless the gimbal/camera board or compass get really hot (which I doubt), there really isn't anything in that area to generate much heat directly on the top cover. The top mates and snaps to the main aircraft frame at five points along the front (see pics). If the alignment wasn't perfect during factory assembly, there could be stress at the connecting points which could cause bulging and eventual cracking. However, yours really looks like it was caused by something external. PICT0002.JPG PICT0001.JPG Just my observations.

I found a video on YouTube that explains how to remove the upper canopy from the Mavic Pro. It doesn't show how to remove the compass and mount it to the new upper canopy part I would need to purchase though... I also found the upper canopy part for about $15 as someone else had said it would be. Considering the small bulge at the front of the drone identified when my photos were blown up, I would hope I wouldn't run in to any installation problems of a new upper canopy piece...

I am not using my hard case anymore and have started using the DJI shoulder bag that came with my Fly Combo package. I was reluctant since it's so small and I can't fit the drone, remote control, and two extra batteries inside of it. It's better than a crack!

Last edited:
I am not using my hard case anymore and have started using the DJI shoulder bag that came with my Fly Combo package. I was reluctant since it's so small and I can't fit the drone, remote control, and two extra batteries inside of it. It's better than a crack!

You should be able to fit the batteries in the side pockets and the controller and MP in the main section with another battery in it

I found a video on YouTube that explains how to remove the upper canopy from the Mavic Pro. It doesn't show how to remove the compass and mount it to the new upper canopy part I would need to purchase though... I also found the upper canopy part for about $15 as someone else had said it would be. Considering the small bulge at the front of the drone identified when my photos were blown up, I would hope I wouldn't run in to any installation problems of a new upper canopy piece...

The compass is mounted in the main airframe, not on the upper canopy (or top cover). See the pictures I posted in a previous reply.

The GPS module is mounted to the top cover in the back, but removing it is just a matter of taking out a couple of small screws.
20170827_121357[1].jpg

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brianklenhart