DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Cracked Gimbal

Is this bit plastic or aluminium? ??, anyone know?
(I am referring to my post photos above, of course !)

99% sure the gimbal mechanism is painted plastic bud. Certainly doesn't feel to be metal but what do I know I'm just an aircraft mechanic. What is the deal with DJI? Starting to think they should have made a beefier product.

99% sure the gimbal mechanism is painted plastic bud. Certainly doesn't feel to be metal but what do I know I'm just an aircraft mechanic. What is the deal with DJI? Starting to think they should have made a beefier product.
Thanks Madman4049, reassuring to know that, maybe you should go to DJI and work, your skills could be put to better use with them !!

As an Engineer of over 40 years, my guess is that they use these powered screwdrivers that speed insertion of screws up, rather than the good old human screwdriver.
It's the old story of lack of care, and quality control after it has been done, with little or no inspection.
Not good for a £1400 product that one would expect to be perfect, especially in view of what is has to do !.

Reactions: avanti1963
As an Engineer of over 40 years, my guess is that they use these powered screwdrivers that speed insertion of screws up, rather than the good old human screwdriver.
It's the old story of lack of care, and quality control after it has been done, with little or no inspection.
Not good for a £1400 product that one would expect to be perfect, especially in view of what is has to do !.

As a mechanic those are often actually better than people when used properly. We use ones that have pre-set torque limiters that actually had to go to PMEL for calibration but that's on acft. Not complicated, people always wanna give a good oomph because you know it just doesn't feel tight so they actually cause damage. What I suspect is that on paper the tiny gimbal used is a great idea but in reality the thin plastic combined w/ high degree of motion and often jarring is just too much for these little gimbals with the polymer they were using. Were it say a magnesium or titanium or not a fan but even aluminum would probably be fine. Or a glass polymer like is used in modern pistols, this just looks like molded plastic. You would think they would learn from the rc helicopter industry, much of the higher end micro heli's actually use aluminum on moving parts because plastic just doesn't hold up nor will it maintain a high degree of precision over time.

Problem is that initial inspection for something like an overtorque would actually reveal no damage unless it cracked during install. I suspect this is happening mostly over time. If it were metal they could eddy current it but lets be honest they wouldn't do that even if they could which they can't because plastic.

But in all honesty I really just think they should have upscaled the gimbal mechanism slightly, could do that and still fit it on the drone. The minor weight change would likely only affect flight time by seconds.

Reactions: roflyer and Ceejay
As a mechanic those are often actually better than people when used properly. We use ones that have pre-set torque limiters that actually had to go to PMEL for calibration but that's on acft. Not complicated, people always wanna give a good oomph because you know it just doesn't feel tight so they actually cause damage. What I suspect is that on paper the tiny gimbal used is a great idea but in reality the thin plastic combined w/ high degree of motion and often jarring is just too much for these little gimbals with the polymer they were using. Were it say a magnesium or titanium or not a fan but even aluminum would probably be fine. Or a glass polymer like is used in modern pistols, this just looks like molded plastic. You would think they would learn from the rc helicopter industry, much of the higher end micro heli's actually use aluminum on moving parts because plastic just doesn't hold up nor will it maintain a high degree of precision over time.

Problem is that initial inspection for something like an overtorque would actually reveal no damage unless it cracked during install. I suspect this is happening mostly over time. If it were metal they could eddy current it but lets be honest they wouldn't do that even if they could which they can't because plastic.

But in all honesty I really just think they should have upscaled the gimbal mechanism slightly, could do that and still fit it on the drone. The minor weight change would likely only affect flight time by seconds.
That Sir!, is a good way of explaining the problem, I take my hat off to you !!
I certainly agree that parts like that, should be made of a material more suitable.
Not just your good old plastic, I like most peeps would rather pay another £50 and see a decent piece of Aircraft quality aluminium, or something similar, then I am sure that you would not see this problem.
We have to remember, this goes back to Phantom 2 days, so it is not a problem that has just happened, AND THEY STILL HAVE NOT GOT IT RIGHT !!!!
We may sound picky to some people, but would you accept a car with components that are cracked (assuming you could see them)
NO !, so why should we accept second rate workmanship or materials from this Company!!.

To enlighten you, I worked for a company that built some of the biggest electric motors & generators in the world.
Everything, was checked, double checked, and checked again before it left the factory.
They call that: REPUTATION in Industry

Last edited:
Reactions: madman4049
Yup, I bet DJI would have saved themselves a massive amount of headache if they made the gimbal plug and play like on the Inspire where you can just pop it off and put a new one on. So many returns I see on these forums are gimbal related and then people are rightfully so angry because they mailed DJI a new drone shortly after purchase and get sent a refurbished drone. In my opinion that is dishonest and horrible business practice on DJI's part but yeah the gimbal should have been thought out differently.

Much to my disappointment here is my crack on the Gimbal wire guard... I've racked up about 6hrs worth of flight with mine.
This has only just appeared though as I read allot about these cracks before purchasing...

I did purchase refresh however as you can see I my pic this is clearly due to over tightening like other posters have claimed. If nothing is annoucnced soon I'll be keeping an eye on mine and just sending it back in 11 months as I don't want to be paying the refresh charge for no fault of my own!

Attachments

• IMG_7771.JPG
    IMG_7771.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 48
Much to my disappointment here is my crack on the Gimbal wire guard... I've racked up about 6hrs worth of flight with mine.
This has only just appeared though as I read allot about these cracks before purchasing...

I did purchase refresh however as you can see I my pic this is clearly due to over tightening like other posters have claimed. If nothing is annoucnced soon I'll be keeping an eye on mine and just sending it back in 11 months as I don't want to be paying the refresh charge for no fault of my own!

Yet another one for the score chart!.
My cracks have grown in length, but, I am reluctant to send it back, as they are sending refurbished/used Mavic back to customers
Not my idea of true customer service!!!!
Come on DJI, they were new when we bought them from you
send us new ones back!!!

maybe we should all take to social media posting the pictures on twitter and facebook to get the issue noticed...

maybe we should all take to social media posting the pictures on twitter and facebook to get the issue noticed...
As I said before......... this is a problem that has been around for a long time.......with previous DJI Drones.
I don't think they addressed/admitted the problem then, so I would be sure to say they would not take much notice now!

As I said before......... this is a problem that has been around for a long time.......with previous DJI Drones.
I don't think they addressed/admitted the problem then, so I would be sure to say they would not take much notice now!
These parts are just plastic wire protectors, one of which also fits in the gimbal lock. When I checked mine I also found fractures starting from the securing screws. As my drone hasn't had any problems other than this there is no way I'm sending it away to DJI so that they can send me someone else's reject. I've strengthened the parts with a little epoxy and that will do until something really gets broken.

Reactions: Rnl
I've strengthened the parts with a little epoxy and that will do until something really gets broken.

Let's hope that your fix doesn't effect a claim in the future! :) prob going to do the same tbh! Tempted the take tension of a few other screws whilst I'm there!

Let's hope that your fix doesn't effect a claim in the future! :) prob going to do the same tbh! Tempted the take tension of a few other screws whilst I'm there!
I took the covers off while they were still in one piece and put the epoxy on the back, working it in to the cracks and adding a little behind the screws so there is nothing obvious.

Reactions: Reuuc
I took the covers off while they were still in one piece and put the epoxy on the back, working it in to the cracks and adding a little behind the screws so there is nothing obvious.

I might have a look on removing the section on mine that is cracked and do the same, guessing the part I posted a pic of is just held on with the two bolts which are coving the wires?

Mine has a crack on the right side wire cover on gimbal. Over tightened screws. I wouldn't be surprised if some of the cracks on the rear facing cover are caused by mis- aligning the gimbal lock when slipping it into place. I didn't pay attention very well the first time I put it back and was really shocked to see that part of the guard slips between that disc shaped wire cover and back of the gimbal.. Have to be really gentle and make sure it's perfectly aligned or you could break it pretty easy, horrible design..
Since it's just the right side wire cover on mine I'll going to keep an eye on it, and if it gets worse, I'll remove and try an epoxy fix. Can't see shipping it around the world for this issue.

1fa2ae9657fb767dea3ca8d737eeefcf.jpg

I sure, it wasn't there before, and i did check, because i've seen this thread before :(

Assuming the only purpose of this part is conver the wiring, i am not RMA-ing it, though. Especially knowing i may get a replacement unit with way more issues.

Mine is getting worse, no way am I sending it back, it flies like a dream.
I can only see this thread getting loooongerrrr !!
Keep the faith !, and yer Mavic !

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
InspectorTom