DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Crash & burn... hopefully learn

DO NOT report drone incidents!!!! They do nothing to prevent problems or to educate pilots. What the government does is use those reports in statistics to increase more regulations. The news media also takes this stats and uses them as reasons why the public should be concerned
When you report bad drone behavior. The report does not start out “ a good drone pilot reported a bad drone pilot” it starts out at “near drone miss”.

Sorry, but if someone is flying that irresponsibly and nearly injures my family, the pieces parts would end up in the nearest dumpster...

absolutely i have that capability. but i won't do it unless it is mandatory which means not unless california requires it. :)

the box is for advertising and selling the product; it isn't a space for government rules. my box is competitive which means if the parrott doesn't have it, why would mine? so everyone will think the dji is a government drone and the parrott isn't so buy the parrott and the rules don't apply to you because it wasn't on the box (as opposed to the dji where it's all over the box)?

if i put something on the box and i order up 200,000 printed that will sit on shelves or in a warehouse for the next 2 years, it better be fresh and accurate info. i'm not in the mood to put stickers on boxes to cover up old outdated stale verbiage (retailer won't apply those sticker anyway, they'll just throw them away) and i'm not ready to deal with retailers who won't risk it and send inventory back to me to be re-worked. again, unless it's the law, why would i do it? there just isn't enough space on the box to make the point, i mean look at the dji box, it's clean and minimalistic.

again, i'll put stuff inside the box if i have to. because to me it has less impact and i can better resolve, in case i am ordered to fix something. if i put on the box fly no higher than 400 and the faa changes that to 300, how do i know they won't send me a letter "asking" me to fix it. and they not even that smart, they'll just send a letter to the retailer to pull it and i'm stuck as a manufacturer even though it was a bad call. i have options if it's in the user guide or a slip of paper in the box (which i don't like either but i'll do it) or better yet, a fresh link. remember i'm in the business to make money, not to educate, not pass along rules or ideas from others. i think the software is going a bit too far but i don't know the [legal] details behind that because you're actually flying. my understanding is the box mostly goes in the trash so don't waste your time with it. long gone are the days when the box was on the shelf and people could pick up the box and read all about it for their purchase decision.

my country specific details are mostly limited to warnings, contents, ingredients, upc, fcc ids, and barcodes and sustainability type stuff; other language. cert logos and partner logos/details.

i absolutely believe anyone can claim ignorance regardless if they checked a box or read something on the screen or in writing. those things are in place to protect me, not to stick it to you (the customer). :)
I agree with this sentiment. If you have ever had to update technical manuals, you'll know the futility of keeping current info on the packaging! It's a much better idea to put a website URL on a product and then create central resources that are updated regularly and are country-specific [which is why you don't find a DJI manual in the box but go to their website for the latest]. DJI - along with other drone manufacturers - do have a responsibility however to NOT make it look like these things are out-of-the-box & instant fun machines. I think they make it look too easy in their advertising, and don't point out the responsibility needed by the operator.

Reactions: old man mavic
I agree with this sentiment. If you have ever had to update technical manuals, you'll know the futility of keeping current info on the packaging! It's a much better idea to put a website URL on a product and then create central resources that are updated regularly and are country-specific [which is why you don't find a DJI manual in the box but go to their website for the latest]. DJI - along with other drone manufacturers - do have a responsibility however to NOT make it look like these things are out-of-the-box & instant fun machines. I think they make it look too easy in their advertising, and don't point out the responsibility needed by the operator.
i agree with you there is not much in the way of advice or rules on flying the drone in the box, while i know that manufacturers are not going to tell the consumer about the pitfalls of ownership,they should point out the issues that could arise,if people dont bother to download the manual, and research the rules on flying in their country,ok so the short test needed to activate your drone is a step in the right direction,but after that there is nothing to stop someone from just taking to the air. with no regard to safely operating their drone

Reactions: Thomas B
i agree with you there is not much in the way of advice or rules on flying the drone in the box, while i know that manufacturers are not going to tell the consumer about the pitfalls of ownership,they should point out the issues that could arise,if people dont bother to download the manual, and research the rules on flying in their country,ok so the short test needed to activate your drone is a step in the right direction,but after that there is nothing to stop someone from just taking to the air. with no regard to safely operating their drone
Agree. I’m amazed at the number of owners who apparently haven’t read the full online manuals for their drones.

Reactions: old man mavic
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jroy329