DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Crash into water, now unable to connect

Butterland

Reactions
Friday 4/17/2020
1) I was low, maybe 4 ft off the ground over a creek hovering. I tried to rotate slowly and fly over the creek. I hit a bush on one side, was then either pushed or over corrected and hit a bush on the other side. Per camera I then was tangled in branches, rolled hit dirt and possibly a concrete post. Camera was working still, could see underwater for a few seconds before I remote was disconnected. It took 5-10 minutes to get to the site and found the quadcopter with the front portion in the water, tilted with more of the right side higher but still in water. The rear props were out of the water. I believe the water did not contact the battery, but I was very upset and rushing and cannot be certain. I believe it had completely shut off before I grabbed it. Water was on the front arms, front props, camera, bottom and top. Their was water around the battery.

2) Like a dumbass, while walking home I decided to try to fly-I think mostly just praying something good would happen. I turned the quad on and the remote connected, camera connected and moved. Attempted to take off, the Right front and Right rear props spun normal. The Left Props did not spin, at all. I powered it down, and went home.

3) I got home, looked at it, there was water in the front wing arms, I dried off what I could. I did notice water under the battery. I put it in rice and cried myself to sleep.

Wednesday 4/22/2020

1)Today It appeared dry. I tried to turn it on
-- Turns on
-- Back light blinks yellow a few times
-- Back light blinks one blink Red, Green, yellow. I believe it did this sequence 3 times
-- Back light blinks yellow as though its is looking for a signal
-- I was unable to connect with either WiFi or with the remote
-- After staying on for a few minutes, it made the sound as though the fan turns on inside. The front left prop started spinning at full speed, no other props moved.
-- I turned it off again

--The camera did not adjust after turning craft on. No connection ever made. Front left prop spun full speed with the cooling fan sound after craft had been on for a few minute.

I tried to keep that as understandable, simple and with appropriate info.
What should I do at this point? I know there used to be people on here that have repair shops, I would be willing to send it if there is hope.
Is there anything I should try?

and cried myself to sleep.

Man, I feel bad for you, I would be gutted too if I had that with my M1P.

There are a couple of drone repair places here @djidroneservice not sure if @Florida Drone Supply also repair . . . then there was a previous member that was highly respected, Thunderdrones . . . you can find him with a google search.

Hope you can sort it and get it all A1 again, I would possibly try, but have always though on this "could I ever trust an electronic instrument like this again after immersion ?"

Reactions: DDS and Butterland
Do a search here on distilled water.

Powering up after a dunking is the worst thing you can do, due to electrolysis.

All may not be lost. First thing to try, is submerge (no battery) and rinse in regular tap water, this to remove as much of the creek water residue as you can, shake out as much water as possible. Next submerge and rinse well in distilled water, drain, repeat several times. Then dry. Desiccant (silica gel) works much better than dry rice to absorb moisture. You can also gently warm drone. Do not attempt to power up the drone for several days until it is completely dry.

If you might try to attempt to save the battery, (do this outside) skip the tap water and rinse in distilled water only. Distilled water is an insulator and tap water isn't, due to dissolved minerals.

You could definitely do this, it couldn't do much more harm if done right, and best doe asap.
But I'd still send / take it into a repair place for a full check / dry out internally (behind boards etc) to be as sure as possible it will be (hopefully) reliable afterwards.

First thing to try, is submerge (no battery) and rinse in regular tap water, this to remove as much of the creek water residue as you can, shake out as much water as possible. Next submerge and rinse well in distilled water, drain, repeat several times.

I would also add here heavily spraying / dousing with isopropyl alcohol in between these steps above / below.
It safely displaces most of the distilled water if flushed well, and dries very quickly . . . then carry on to . . .

Desiccant (silica gel) works much better than dry rice to absorb moisture. You can also gently warm drone.

. . . to dry out the rest of any moisture.

I wouldn't submerge all of the drone if possible, if only the front has gone into the water . . . although if the battery got wet and shorted out (found the drone powered off), then close enough to a total rinse out might be needed.

You might be better to skip silica gel, as that takes a while to work, maybe 3 to 7 days etc, might be better to get into a repair place to get into it faster.
Though it's been near a week now.

Man, I feel bad for you, I would be gutted too if I had that with my M1P.

There are a couple of drone repair places here @djidroneservice not sure if @Florida Drone Supply also repair . . . then there was a previous member that was highly respected, Thunderdrones . . . you can find him with a google search.

Hope you can sort it and get it all A1 again, I would possibly try, but have always though on this "could I ever trust an electronic instrument like this again after immersion ?"

I emailed thunderdrones, he emailed back in about 5 minutes.
I will send it in and hope he can get me airborne again.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Whitehammer661