DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Crashed in ocean Waikiki - recovered after 30 minutes..

on the rc there's a clearance display that tells you exactly how high you are over the ground or water. it's like a radio altimeter. you should look at that when you're flying so low.
I seem to remember having read the following: If you are on a swimming pool deck and take off, your drone will register THAT elevation as ZERO. Then you take your drone out over the ocean or a lake that is at a lower elevation than where you took off. The drone will show, when you pass below the elevation of the pool deck, that your elevation is -1 or -3 or whatever. So you need to take your take-off elevation into consideration when flying. I have found it best, when over water, to ALWAYS keep my drone within eyesight. To do otherwise, I think, is pretty stupid.

I seem to remember having read the following: If you are on a swimming pool deck and take off, your drone will register THAT elevation as ZERO. Then you take your drone out over the ocean or a lake that is at a lower elevation than where you took off. The drone will show, when you pass below the elevation of the pool deck, that your elevation is -1 or -3 or whatever. So you need to take your take-off elevation into consideration when flying. I have found it best, when over water, to ALWAYS keep my drone within eyesight. To do otherwise, I think, is pretty stupid.

If the drone starts to land over water what is the surefire way of fighting it so that you can get it back to land?

How low was he flying? I am going to cancun next week lol. I'm scared now!

Cancun beaches are great places to practice using your drone and a great place to practice different filters for photography. But practice over land before going out over the ocean. The winds can be tricky. I live in the hotel zone at KM 9.5 (a bit south of Coco Bungo) and if you want to get together one day to play around with the drones please feel free to contact me. ([email protected]). I am in Cozumel through Wednesday but will be here after that.

If the drone starts to land over water what is the surefire way of fighting it so that you can get it back to land?

First, I never let my batteries get below 30% before I start to head back home--especially if I am over water. Second, I do not use RTH to land--ever. I like manual landings. Third, I keep my drone within eyesight at all times but should I lose it in the clouds and need to use RTH I always make sure I have plenty of battery life. If you let the drone get too low over water it will try to land and in that case you may be out of luck. I never lower my drone more than 12 feet (4 meters) above what I visually see is the water height. Caution is the name of the game when flying over water.

Watching guys windserf in fresh water, hovering above one wasn't I misjudged my height & he raised his kite hit my drone no my Mavic my Typhoon H, a $2000 machine I watched fall into the drink, 30min to find, some broken stuff, brought home, dryed, rice, all that, week later she fired up no problems in flight at all. Bout $100 In repairs did myself. Fresh water odds much better. She's still flying, hard to trust @ first, but still no problems

Watching guys windserf in fresh water, hovering above one wasn't I misjudged my height & he raised his kite hit my drone no my Mavic my Typhoon H, a $2000 machine I watched fall into the drink, 30min to find, some broken stuff, brought home, dryed, rice, all that, week later she fired up no problems in flight at all. Bout $100 In repairs did myself. Fresh water odds much better. She's still flying, hard to trust @ first,

For all to learn...thanks.

When over water, and downward sensors are off, the drone can descend quickly straight into water, or land for that matter, as downward object avoidance is usually off over water, for me.

I was over land and manually slammed it down once when I forgot I had down sensors off.
Which is why I fly with sensors on. Much more worried about this type of accident (I fly very low sometimes over the ocean to film fish and coral) than the auto landing bug.

“I took it home, rinsed it, put in in a bucket of rice for a couple of days”

That's the wrong move, @kenwae -- instead, you should have kept the drone flying for as long as the batteries allowed, and if insufficient batteries to bring it in the air, at least kept the drone powered on so that heat generated can help dry it up.
No no no. Not with salt water. Turning off ASAP is the only hope.

Which is why I fly with sensors on. Much more worried about this type of accident (I fly very low sometimes over the ocean to film fish and coral) than the auto landing bug.

Sensors will not prevent you from dropping into still water. Visual sensors see right thru clear water. Sonar sensors detect the surface. From a programming pespective, if one sensor does not agree with the other, and pilot throttles down left stick while on a yawing turn, you assume the pilot knows what he is doing and the drone will comply by dropping or autolanding.

There is lot of debate on this so I am speaking only as a logical programmer. That is how I would code the flight controls.

Basically, over water sensors are unreliable, but not useless, imo.

Once it hits salt water it's game over, no matter how dry you get it. The salt water causes corrosive short circuiting on the board.

That's not always the case. Last Saturday my MP fell into 3 feet of salt water out at my boat house (due to operator error), it took me over 10 minutes to retrieve it. I immediately removed the battery and started running fresh water from a hose at the boat house over and into my drone. I took my MP up to the house and disassembled it then sprayed it liberally with a can of CRC QD Electronic Cleaner - the cleaner helped remove the salt and minerals in the sea water and to displace the water. I sprayed the cleaner on all of the circuit boards and into the engine pod nacelles. The objective is to remove as much of the salt and mineral deposits as possible and to displace as much seawater as possible - so don't be stingy with the cleaner!!! You can't make things any worse. Only after I was satisfied that I had cleaned all of the salt and mineral deposits and displaced all of the water that I could did I use my wife's hair dryer to thoroughly dry the components.

I let the bird sit until Monday morning. I carefully examined the circuit boards and other components under bright light using a magnifying glass. The CBs looked clean except for a few spots where I could see small areas of what appeared to be mineral/salt deposits. Out came the CRC QD Electronic Cleaner again, using the point of a needle and the magnifying glass I Carefully and Delicately chipped away at these small areas of mineral/salt deposits. I use a soft bristle toothbrush to delicately brush away the dislodged deposits. I took my time (about an hour) going over the 2 CBs, frame parts and other components. After satisfying myself that all of the components were clean I gave everything one final spray down with the cleaner then gently patted dry all of the parts - the QD in the cleaners name stands for quick drying. I left the MP disassembled for a couple of hours to allow the components to thoroughly dry, then reassembled the bird. Once reassembled with the props removed I inserted a battery, powered up the RC the held my breath and powered on the MP.... after a couple of seconds I was greeted by the familiar sounds of my MP coming back to life - it started up like normal! It was after dark Monday evening when I finally got things put back together. I put the props back on gave the bird a thorough pre-flight then took it outside for a quick test flight. I powered the drone up then let it sit with the motors idling while I gathered the courage to move the throttle forward. I climbed to 6 ft and let the drone hover while I evaluated it's performance and system read outs - all reading were nominal. I made several 360s to the left and to the right, flew forward and backwards and made short climbs and descents to test those axis of movement - performance in all axis was normal. I've flown progressively longer and more involved flights
over the last few days and as far as I can tell the bird flies the same now as it did before the "salt water bath" (YMMV).

To recap:

Get your drone out of the salt water as quick as you can (advice courtesy of Captain Obvious)

Remove the battery ASAP (my batt started oozing a greenish liquid just minutes after the drone was recovered)

Rinse the drone with fresh clean water ASAP! Don't give the salt water time to evaporate and leave salt/mineral deposits on CBs, etc.
Don't be stingy with the fresh water, you want to dilute and displace the salt water and the minerals dissolved in the salt water (diluted salt and minerals in water are mortal enemies of electronic components).

Don't be in a hurry to start using the hair dryer just yet, using the dryer at this point evaporates the water leaving a thin film over everything it touches. As soon as you can apply 99.1% isopropyl alcohol (anything less than 99% has some water mixed in - we're trying to get rid of the water remember) using a spray bottle would be ideal. Absent a spray bottle use what you have at hand (q-tips, soft clean cloth, etc.), the electronics cleaner that I used came In a spray can with a thin tube extender and worked really well at spraying down the CBs and getting the cleaner into hard to reach crevices. When you're satisfied that you've removed all of the salt and mineral deposits that you can and have displaced as much water as you can then bring out the hair dryer (use high fan, no heat).
When you're done blow drying the components leave them disassembled to facilitate air drying for 24 hours.

After allowing the components to air dry for 24 hours carefully inspect all of the parts again under bright light and a magnifying glass.
If you find areas of salt/mineral residue (I found a few small areas) use a tiny "pick" (I used the point of a needle) to gently and carefully
dislodge the residue then using a soft bristle toothbrush rinse away with the 99.1% isopropyl alcohol (I used CRC QD Electronic Cleaner, couldn't fine the 99.1% isopropyl alcohol). Then allow several hours to dry (alcohol and or quick drying electronics cleaners evaporate quickly) then reassemble your MP.

Be systematic and patient when powering up your MP for this initial test. Do a thorough pre-flight inspection, I suggest leaving the props off. Power up the MP and be alert for smoke or unusual odors (smell of electronics over heating, etc.). Start the motors and allow them to run at idle power long enough for you to evaluate how well (smooth) they run and monitor the health of the various sub systems (battery health, IRUs, accelerometers, camera and gimbal assembly, etc.) then shut the drone off. Take some time to evaluate how well the test run went. If the test run was successful install the props and make a short test flight (I suggest limiting your altitude to 6 ft or so
at first until you are satisfied that all systems are a go for flight).

Finally, I intend to disassembly and inspect my MP every couple of weeks for the next few month to make sure that the components are still free of corrosion causing salt/mineral deposits.

Reactions: Bouddha
I always put this on my drone when flying over water. Dji Care Refresh will cover your drone if it goes in the water but you need to recover the drone. The Rod Getter Back is for saving your fishing rod but works great on small drones. Its a small bright yellow float that deploys when it gets wet with a 100' ft 10 lbs. test fishing line that can be used to find your drone and pull it out of the water. It's well worth the $15 dollars and does not interfere with flight. It attaches with a strong velcro strap that I put on the side of the rear motor arm. GetterBack link; Home

Reactions: Ebonicus
That's not always the case. Last Saturday my MP fell into 3 feet of salt water out at my boat house (due to operator error), it took me over 10 minutes to retrieve it. I immediately removed the battery and started running fresh water from a hose at the boat house over and into my drone. I took my MP up to the house and disassembled it then sprayed it liberally with a can of CRC QD Electronic Cleaner - the cleaner helped remove the salt and minerals in the sea water and to displace the water. I sprayed the cleaner on all of the circuit boards and into the engine pod nacelles. The objective is to remove as much of the salt and mineral deposits as possible and to displace as much seawater as possible - so don't be stingy with the cleaner!!! You can't make things any worse. Only after I was satisfied that I had cleaned all of the salt and mineral deposits and displaced all of the water that I could did I use my wife's hair dryer to thoroughly dry the components.

I let the bird sit until Monday morning. I carefully examined the circuit boards and other components under bright light using a magnifying glass. The CBs looked clean except for a few spots where I could see small areas of what appeared to be mineral/salt deposits. Out came the CRC QD Electronic Cleaner again, using the point of a needle and the magnifying glass I Carefully and Delicately chipped away at these small areas of mineral/salt deposits. I use a soft bristle toothbrush to delicately brush away the dislodged deposits. I took my time (about an hour) going over the 2 CBs, frame parts and other components. After satisfying myself that all of the components were clean I gave everything one final spray down with the cleaner then gently patted dry all of the parts - the QD in the cleaners name stands for quick drying. I left the MP disassembled for a couple of hours to allow the components to thoroughly dry, then reassembled the bird. Once reassembled with the props removed I inserted a battery, powered up the RC the held my breath and powered on the MP.... after a couple of seconds I was greeted by the familiar sounds of my MP coming back to life - it started up like normal! It was after dark Monday evening when I finally got things put back together. I put the props back on gave the bird a thorough pre-flight then took it outside for a quick test flight. I powered the drone up then let it sit with the motors idling while I gathered the courage to move the throttle forward. I climbed to 6 ft and let the drone hover while I evaluated it's performance and system read outs - all reading were nominal. I made several 360s to the left and to the right, flew forward and backwards and made short climbs and descents to test those axis of movement - performance in all axis was normal. I've flown progressively longer and more involved flights
over the last few days and as far as I can tell the bird flies the same now as it did before the "salt water bath" (YMMV).

To recap:

Get your drone out of the salt water as quick as you can (advice courtesy of Captain Obvious)

Remove the battery ASAP (my batt started oozing a greenish liquid just minutes after the drone was recovered)

Rinse the drone with fresh clean water ASAP! Don't give the salt water time to evaporate and leave salt/mineral deposits on CBs, etc.
Don't be stingy with the fresh water, you want to dilute and displace the salt water and the minerals dissolved in the salt water (diluted salt and minerals in water are mortal enemies of electronic components).

Don't be in a hurry to start using the hair dryer just yet, using the dryer at this point evaporates the water leaving a thin film over everything it touches. As soon as you can apply 99.1% isopropyl alcohol (anything less than 99% has some water mixed in - we're trying to get rid of the water remember) using a spray bottle would be ideal. Absent a spray bottle use what you have at hand (q-tips, soft clean cloth, etc.), the electronics cleaner that I used came In a spray can with a thin tube extender and worked really well at spraying down the CBs and getting the cleaner into hard to reach crevices. When you're satisfied that you've removed all of the salt and mineral deposits that you can and have displaced as much water as you can then bring out the hair dryer (use high fan, no heat).
When you're done blow drying the components leave them disassembled to facilitate air drying for 24 hours.

After allowing the components to air dry for 24 hours carefully inspect all of the parts again under bright light and a magnifying glass.
If you find areas of salt/mineral residue (I found a few small areas) use a tiny "pick" (I used the point of a needle) to gently and carefully
dislodge the residue then using a soft bristle toothbrush rinse away with the 99.1% isopropyl alcohol (I used CRC QD Electronic Cleaner, couldn't fine the 99.1% isopropyl alcohol). Then allow several hours to dry (alcohol and or quick drying electronics cleaners evaporate quickly) then reassemble your MP.

Be systematic and patient when powering up your MP for this initial test. Do a thorough pre-flight inspection, I suggest leaving the props off. Power up the MP and be alert for smoke or unusual odors (smell of electronics over heating, etc.). Start the motors and allow them to run at idle power long enough for you to evaluate how well (smooth) they run and monitor the health of the various sub systems (battery health, IRUs, accelerometers, camera and gimbal assembly, etc.) then shut the drone off. Take some time to evaluate how well the test run went. If the test run was successful install the props and make a short test flight (I suggest limiting your altitude to 6 ft or so
at first until you are satisfied that all systems are a go for flight).

Finally, I intend to disassembly and inspect my MP every couple of weeks for the next few month to make sure that the components are still free of corrosion causing salt/mineral deposits.

All true. But time is of the essence. You can also accomplish some of this if you can disassemble the boards and soak in ISO alcohol until you're ready to do the real work. Putting the boards in a low heat oven works well for drying, and is less potentially dangerous than a hairdryer -- that concentration of heat can melt minuscule solder connections.

If working at this level interests you, there's a woman named Jessa Jones who is the queen-godess of BLR (board-level repair), and she has a very active YouTube channel. Same Louis Rossmann. They both work mostly on phones, ipads and laptops, but the problems are the same.

There are specialty equipment for doing all of this, but it's expensive and most people opt to replace rather than repair because of the extensive amount of work needed with salt water contact. Cost to fix is often higher than replacement. But in the case of phones and tablets, many still opt for doing enough repair to get their precious photos off their devices which (of course) they haven't backed up.

Similar thing happened to me; was flying low over ocean water, capturing images of the coral bottom, hovered about 10' ft. over the water and then decided to come home, but pushed the stick down instead of up. Noticed the camera went blank, and then I realized what I had done. Apparently, though, once it hit the water, it lost connection, and that triggered return to home. So, as I was bemoaning my stupid mistake lamenting that my drone was underwater, my friend with me noticed it was coming in for landing above us. He noted there was smoke coming out of it. I took it home, rinsed it, put in in a bucket of rice for a couple of days, but no go. The salt water is a killer. I bought a another one, without controller or battery and I'm back in the air. Lesson learned....
Ahh yes thats what I had to do flew under a bridge very little room left the sensors on stupid rooky mistake it wouldnt let me out thought there was an obstical couldnt turn anything off too busy flying hit top of bridge kerplunk!

Were you able to recover the video from your SD card, or is the cached video all that you have?

Sensors will not prevent you from dropping into still water. Visual sensors see right thru clear water. Sonar sensors detect the surface. From a programming pespective, if one sensor does not agree with the other, and pilot throttles down left stick while on a yawing turn, you assume the pilot knows what he is doing and the drone will comply by dropping or autolanding.

There is lot of debate on this so I am speaking only as a logical programmer. That is how I would code the flight controls.

Basically, over water sensors are unreliable, but not useless, imo.
A definitive way to test would be to put an inch of water into a kiddy pool and hover above to see what it does. If it tries to auto land over water I'd either go full power ascent or rth to trigger climb to preset height then cancel once safe.

Anyone dealt with DJI Refresh when it is a clear case of operator error? They advertise it in a way that implies that accidents are covered. I did recover it from the bottom of the bay and sent it in today. Guess I’ll hear back in week or so.

Anyone dealt with DJI Refresh when it is a clear case of operator error? They advertise it in a way that implies that accidents are covered. I did recover it from the bottom of the bay and sent it in today. Guess I’ll hear back in week or so.

Yes Refresh covers anything as long as you get it back :)

Reactions: Skrems
“I took it home, rinsed it, put in in a bucket of rice for a couple of days”

That's the wrong move, @kenwae -- instead, you should have kept the drone flying for as long as the batteries allowed, and if insufficient batteries to bring it in the air, at least kept the drone powered on so that heat generated can help dry it up.

That is the perfect way to fry your electronics!! Water and electricity don't mix!! What you should do is remove the battery as soon as possible to avoid a short circuit. If you drop it in the sea you should keep the drone in salty water (put it in a bucket or something) until you are able to rinse it with fresh water, after you get rid of the salt you need to get rid of the fresh water with something that displace water (wd40 or isopropile alcohol); as soon as it starts to dry the salt will corrode and oxidase everything it touches. Corrosion (also called OXIdation) does not need moisture, it need oxygen and keeping it in water will prevent the oxygen to interact with the salt and the metals. This is the reason why when they recover anything form the sea (airplane black boxes, archeological finds and so on) they keep them in salt water until they are able to properly rinse and dry them.

Last edited:
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
michalis