DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Crossing into a 0 ft FAA Zone?

markp99

Reactions
I am curious what would happen if I accidentally drifted into a 0 ft FAA Zone. I self-unlocked a 400 ft zone in a nearby park that is immediately adjacent to a 0 ft zone (small dam & tiny hydro plant).

What might I notice if I drift into the 0 ft zone. A warning? Automatic landing? There is a lot of water/trees in this location; just want to be prepared.

Would be great if RTH activates automatically and gets the mini back to its owner. Common sense imho..

@sar104, the area is Class D but the local airport does not support LAANC (you replied in an earlier thread). With the firmware update, I saw a warning about the nearby airport in the DJI-fly app, I self-authorized and cleared the warning and can fly, at least at home. I suspect I'll see the same warning in this park - same airport zone.

At this park Airmap shows a grid with 400ft zone adjacent to 200ft and 0ft zones near the hydro plant (yellow circle, below). The park is a favorite of ours, just curious what might happen if I drift over that 0 ft zone.

1578069183996.png

@sar104, the area is Class D but the local airport does not support LAANC (you replied in an earlier thread). With the firmware update, I saw a warning about the nearby airport in the DJI-fly app, I self-authorized and cleared the warning and can fly, at least at home. I suspect I'll see the same warning in this park - same airport zone.

At this park Airmap shows a grid with 400ft zone adjacent to 200ft and 0ft zones near the hydro plant (yellow circle, below). The park is a favorite of ours, just curious what might happen if I drift over that 0 ft zone.

View attachment 89637

Right - and the Class D shows up as a warning zone in the DJI GEO system, which allows you to self-authorize and fly. But if you don't have FAA authorization to fly in that controlled airspace then don't forget that you are flying illegally. If LAANC isn't active then you need to authorize via the FAA DroneZone website.

So the 0 ft grid that you are talking about is the LAANC grid. DJI GEO just sees that as part of the Class D that you already self-authorized in, so nothing will happen if you fly into it. The aircraft and DJI app only know about GEO zones, not LAANC grids.

Reactions: Gindra
@sar104, Thanks for the clarification. Last weekend, with my son's MM, we tried to take off adjacent to the hydro plant - would not let us even take off, but at home, no complaints - same general Class D zone.. The DJI GEO Zone map show no special constraint near this hydro plant.

I started the FAA request process for my MM for the non-LAANC area, but held off to see what effect the firmware update might have had. Seems there would be no effect, unless in a DJI GEO zone. I'll continue that process to properly check the boxes.

I presume the "legality" concern you mention is mostly self-imposed and policed, correct?

If you get to the blue zone (without unlocking) you have 90 seconds to leave the area, if not it lands.

Submitted an FAA Drone Zone Airspace Authorization request just now. I started w/just a 1/4 mi radius around my home, for month of January.

We'll see how long it takes for their reply.

Reactions: Gindra
I am curious what would happen if I accidentally drifted into a 0 ft FAA Zone. I self-unlocked a 400 ft zone in a nearby park that is immediately adjacent to a 0 ft zone (small dam & tiny hydro plant).

What might I notice if I drift into the 0 ft zone. A warning? Automatic landing? There is a lot of water/trees in this location; just want to be prepared.
If the drone has enough power it will hover and refuse to enter. If it does get into the “0” are it will auto land, at which time you’d née to fly rapidly out of the area... holding full up on the control stick may help.

Reactions: markp99
Submitted an FAA Drone Zone Airspace Authorization request just now. I started w/just a 1/4 mi radius around my home, for month of January.

We'll see how long it takes for their reply.
Should be quick... mine usually have been but some take days.

I am reading now there could be a 90 day delay for approval. Hmmm, maybe I should have requested a longer time frame than 1 month??

If the drone has enough power it will hover and refuse to enter. If it does get into the “0” are it will auto land, at which time you’d née to fly rapidly out of the area... holding full up on the control stick may help.
Yikes, auto land would be a problem! My question was purely hypothetical, but I will take care flying in that space.

I am reading now there could be a 90 day delay for approval. Hmmm, maybe I should have requested a longer time frame than 1 month??
My experience has been a few hours to a week, with the latter being a 2 year clearance for my 2 square mile practice area.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tienvn1904