DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Cruise Conundrum - Take drone or leave drone home?

Marty Markoe

Reactions
Site
www.martymarkoephotography.com
I'm taking an Australia to NZ cruise February 2022. Planning 5 days of land tours pre-cruise aa well as post-cruise. Biggest problem is cruise line (Oceania) forbids taking drones on board under any circumstances. Reached out to the Executive Offices and was told the ship will not hold the drone until disembarkation.

3 thoughts at this time:
1. Try to sneak folded Mavic 2 Pro on board and risk confiscation.
2. Before boarding ship in Australia send the drone home via parcel service.
3. Attempt to contact ship's captain to ask if the drone can be held on the ship until disembarking.

Anyone actually faced this issue and have a solution?

Or #4, leave the drone at home and enjoy the cruise?

Was that their t’s and c’s Or was it in response to you asking?

a drone is no different to any other bit of tech kit so aside from saying you can’t fly from the ship what’s the difference ?
seems an odd rule?

Reactions: Scubadiver1944
I tend to agree with msinger's suggestion of leaving it at home. If you are set on having it in NZ, I would ship it to NZ ahead of time, use it, then ship it back home. Or just buy a cheaper Mavic there and then ship it home. Or rent one in NZ.

The fun part is figuring out where to ship it to. I'm assuming that your cruise is going to Auckland, so you probably have a few options. You could use the Parcel Collect service offered by New Zealand Post. The two things to worry about that that is dealing with customs and the delivery window. If you use Parcel Collect, you have 10 days to collect your package or they send it back to the sender. If the drone gets caught in customs or the delivery is delayed (or too early), that could mess things up. I may want to check with the international shipping companies to see what options they offer.

Reactions: 72evenant
there are several reasons ,that cruise ships have against taking a drone on board ,
(1) the possibility that the type of batteries used in a drone ,could under extreme circumstances cause a fire on board the ship
(2) the privacy of others if the drone was used to film them
(3) the liability aspect if the drone was used in a country where they are banned or special rules apply to enable them to fly there
and on and on the list could go ,so its just easier for them to prohibit them, and then in their eyes the,many issue real or imagined have been removed

I'm taking an Australia to NZ cruise February 2022. Planning 5 days of land tours pre-cruise aa well as post-cruise. Biggest problem is cruise line (Oceania) forbids taking drones on board under any circumstances. Reached out to the Executive Offices and was told the ship will not hold the drone until disembarkation.

3 thoughts at this time:
3. Attempt to contact ship's captain to ask if the drone can be held on the ship until disembarking.

You won't be able to "SNEAK" it on. Drones are a high security threat and are specifically targeted in every piece of luggage when scanned. When they see it, the ship will seize it. It'll be locked up until you get back to port. You will NOT be able to get back until the end of your cruise. Been there...done that. Leave it at home and alleviate the stress of a seizure

Reactions: GFields
I took mine on a Celebrity Cruise Lines from Australia to New Zealand(Nov. 2019). Had zero problem taking it on and off the ship at each port of call. Always sent it through the scanner when boarding and was never asked to see what was in my bag.

I do know that different lines have different policies. If you do choose to take it be sure you comply with the local policies. As I recall, I had to apply in advance, on line, and got authorization to fly in New Zealand. Easy to do.

By the way, the flying was spectacular.

Last edited:
I will give you some actual real advice from someone who takes and has taken their drone onboard a cruise ship several times.

Take it with you!!! Place it in your carry on bag just as you are flying on a plane. I use a minimalist case for my drones. Just drone, battery, and controller. The rest of the gear gets put in my camera bag that I also carry aboard.

If and only if you are questioned by a security officer. You will then be asked to speak with a ship officer. They will keep your drone and keep it in the security office where it will be tagged and stowed. In most cases they will let you pick it up when you are in port and then bring it back to the security office when you come back onboard.

One time I had a person ask what it was. They looked at it and said wow that’s cool. That’s it.

They just don’t want people flying off the ship or into people on the decks and rightfully so.

When in port observe local UAV laws and take off from a quiet discreet place. I like to study google maps well in advance of any trip to get an idea. As well as look at other drone videos from that spot on YouTube.

One of my favorite people on social media is Captain Kate who is the Captain of the Celebrity Edge Cruise Ship and a Mavic Pro Platinum flyer as well.

Bring it no need to ship it back. You will get great photos like this and be glad you have it.

Attachments

• 755AB39F-EA0C-439E-86B3-8D1EC6464286.jpeg
    755AB39F-EA0C-439E-86B3-8D1EC6464286.jpeg
    4 MB · Views: 92
Last edited:
Bring it no need to ship it back. You will get great photos like this and be glad you have it.
Great advice. In thinking it through, the worst case scenario is ship security holds it until disembarkation as they are unlikely to confiscate it permanently and it can be used pre and post cruise.

I took mine on a Viking cruise from Sydney to Auckland last year, just before the COVID plague with absolutely no problems at all.
The only restrictions were no take offs or landing on the ship.
It was highlighted in Sydney when my carry on luggage was scanned but the security team were great and knew Viking were cool about drones in luggage.
Hope that helps. Take care, stay safe and catch you later. Peter

Since you already know where the cruise ship stands in regards to taking a drone onboard, why chance it? I would either ship it ahead of time (but you take the risk of it getting lost or damaged) OR, Leave it home and use your camera or phone. My iPhone Pro Max takes excellent photos so I usually leave the expensive gear. I think I'd just leave it home.

One other option you may consider is renting a drone once you get there.
Drone Rental | Aerial Video | Camera Rental | Auckland | NZ

3 thoughts at this time:

TL;DR..... tell the cruise line you're canceling and book with another cruise line that offers a reasonable policy for drones.

Marty I ran into the same thing when we took our cruise in December 2018 from Sydney to Auckland. We had originally booked on Princess and when I read the manifest there were very strict rules about bringing a drone on board… They even said they would confiscated it and return it to you only at the end of the cruise. I called Princess and explained my situation; when they stood firm I canceled my cruise and rebooked with Celebrity. Celebrity's policy is they will check it in at security and you can check it out daily to use it… However when when I boarded the ship they took the drone to security but then called me as soon as I arrived at the room and said I could pick it up and to keep it in the room and not fly off the boat.

So of course you should bring the drone with you… How many more times in your lifetime do you think you're going to be getting a chance to go to New Zealand and Australia. That's the whole reason we have a drone; we want take it with us on our various travels… It provides a wonderful perspective both during the time while you're on the cruise and when you come home to share your travels.

Last edited:
That's a great question. Sneaking it on is a consideration. They sometimes find booze and keep it until the night before you disembark. They found a bottle opener in my carry aboard once and confiscated it. I think you'd have a better chance with your checked baggage. I wish I had my drone with me several times but I'm wondering what the situation is going to be for the next few years. I have heard that you are going to have to go on tours and there will be little chance for just wandering around on your own on some cruise lines.
So of course you should bring the drone with you
I agree with that for sure....if there is a will there's a way?

Well they didn’t find the 4 bottles of gin and 2 of whisky I put in my luggage so what chance a drone ?

• Love
Reactions: hiflyer201
TL;DR..... tell the cruise line you're canceling and book with another cruise line that offers a reasonable policy for drones.
This would be my choice. Faced with this loss of revenue they might agree to allow you onboard, possibly agreeing to store your drone while sailing but allowing you to collect and use it when in port. You are their customer, and the customer is always right.

Reactions: Dbez1
Well when your suitcases do not show up to your room, make sure you ask where to go to claim them.
They will have you stand there when they take it out of your suitcase.
Send back home or just do not take it.

Call the CRUISE company, ask that question. Sneaking it on board will only cause your problems.
He did contact the cruise company, that was in the original post.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
volidas