DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

CrystalSky disconnect

whiskey_throttle

Reactions
Generally have been very pleased with the CrystalSky (7.85 inch). But today - was flying the Mavic over a nice little river trying to take some pics of a scenic New England seaport - it gives me the Aircraft Disconnect message. As always - the Mavic had a rock solid signal to the controller - but the GO4 app says it's disconnected. so I tried:

1) changing channels - couldn't do it - the app was basically frozen - would not take any inputs.
2) rebooted the crystalsky - app came up, not frozen now but still wouldn't connect
3) unplugged / plugged the cable back in - solid but no help.
4) hit the rth button on the controller - relieved to hear the beep beep notification that the drone was flying home. RTH works excellent on the Mavic.

Landed the drone - turned it off / on. Still no connection.
Back home I try to troubleshoot - but now it connects just like it should.

So - drove a long way to have my picture taking efforts cut short. Question is - what else should I have tried during the flight ?

I've had it happen once with an Android device where the controller is at fault. It's still connected to the Mavic, still functional, but the USB port acts like it doesn't exist.

Two options: reboot the controller, or unplug the micro USB from the side and switch to the bottom port if you have a USB A to Micro cable handy.

Same here. ( CS 5.5 ). Before the CS I used IOS only. Never had such issues. ( hence: rock solid. ). Been using the CS some 7 weeks now. Never seen so many app crashes and disconnects. Scared the **** out of me the first time being used to very stable IOS platform. Used to it now with this android platform. Although extremely annoying it's just the way it is. In my opinion quality wise way below what might be expected from DJI. Solution to the disconnects differ for me. One time re-plug the cable, other time reboot, sometimes killing running and cached app solves it.

Anyhow. With a flight of 20 minutes I don't want to be troubleshooting/fixing those issues. It s*cks.

The added value of the CS screen makes up for a lot of the annoyances. Hopefully this unstable android platform does not result in disastrous issues with the drone.

I think it's not specific to the CS but more an android thing in general. Unstable as far as I'm concerned.

Thanks for the info folks. Sounds like this is typical GO4 experience with Android. I understand that with different flavors of Android - making the App work for all of them is more challenging. But with DJI's own device - I thought they would have done better. I may have been a little hasty putting my trusted Ipad 4 mini on Ebay.

Last edited:
Wow... that is quite unforgivable... Like other users have commented, I used to have these issues when flying with my Android Nexus 5x and Nexus 7. Switched to iPad mini 4 and never had these issues anymore. Contemplated getting a CrystalSky due to the increased brightness, but now that I hear this... NEVER!

Reactions: mwhitton2004
I'm not seeing any app issues with CrystalSky across 2 models, are you guys all on the latest firmware

If so after updating I strongly suggest doing a full reset of the device after the update as per below.

Also if your using 3rd party USB cables make sure your using a good one, im using a quality USB C cable into the bottom.

1: After Initial setup factory reset by going into Settings, Backup & Reset, Factory Data Reset then clicking Reset Device.

2: When it reboots reconnect CrystalSky to your wifi network (you will need to put the password in again) then go into Setting, then Update and click Check For Updates, the latest firmware is V02.02.08.01, let it update and reboot.

3:After the update has completed I strongly recommend performing the Factory Data Reset in step 1 again just to set the image back to default then you should be all good.

Reactions: dannyw777
I'm not seeing any app issues with CrystalSky across 2 models, are you guys all on the latest firmware

If so after updating I strongly suggest doing a full reset of the device after the update as per below.

Also if your using 3rd party USB cables make sure your using a good one, im using a quality USB C cable into the bottom.

1: After Initial setup factory reset by going into Settings, Backup & Reset, Factory Data Reset then clicking Reset Device.

2: When it reboots reconnect CrystalSky to your wifi network (you will need to put the password in again) then go into Setting, then Update and click Check For Updates, the latest firmware is V02.02.08.01, let it update and reboot.

3:After the update has completed I strongly recommend performing the Factory Data Reset in step 1 again just to set the image back to default then you should be all good.
Happen to me today, out in the field. 5.5 CS just disconnected, good thing it was ILOS... the screen just went black. Scared the $&@/ out of me...

It was humid out(weird Cali weather). Never had this issue before. Went back in the car fired up the AC and waited til the unit cooled off. It started back up, 25 minutes later.

All fw is up to date... Was going to report to beta team but that's the 330 BS team... thoughts?

Thanks - looks like I'm on V02.02.09.00

I have roughly 30 flights with my Phantom P3P and the CS785 with no disconnects (GO app). I have only 5 flights with the Mavic using the CS785 with 1 disconnect (non-recoverable). So far the stats are favoring the older app. But, when I tried another test flight - it said I had a firmware incompatibility. Last time I updated the Mavic, I didn't do my second battery - but had no error messages. This time it said it needed it a firmware update - so I did . Not sure if this could aggravate the GO4 App disconnect issue. But it flew fine this test flight.

I've had my CS 5.5 for roughly 10 days. Everything is up to date. The freeze ups have gotten worse with 4 happening today alone on 1 flight! My android based phone (Moto Z Force) never froze. I'm so frustrated with it I'm sending it back. Got it through Amazon. I tried everything recommended. Love my Mavic Pro, but not the CS.

Thanks - looks like I'm on V02.02.09.00

I have roughly 30 flights with my Phantom P3P and the CS785 with no disconnects (GO app). I have only 5 flights with the Mavic using the CS785 with 1 disconnect (non-recoverable). So far the stats are favoring the older app. But, when I tried another test flight - it said I had a firmware incompatibility. Last time I updated the Mavic, I didn't do my second battery - but had no error messages. This time it said it needed it a firmware update - so I did . Not sure if this could aggravate the GO4 App disconnect issue. But it flew fine this test flight.

Downgrade the mavic firmware to v01.04.0100

I have also purchased the CyrsalSky 5.85 did the firmware updates. Decided to check the Mavic Pro.
Everything was going ok but then the CS disconnected and there was a message on the sceen of the CS Version Check Comparing with server.
Previously use an Apple iPad mini4 never had any issues.

Flying here on vacation in Hawaii yesterday while hiking and got a disconnect
First time flying with the Mavic and CrystalSky
iPhoneX user previously
NEVER had this happen on iOS and it scared the **** out of me. It almost seems not worth it risking disconnections. What’s the solution to it?

It’s a known issue with the CS. No rhyme or reason when it will happen. A bit like Russian Roulette.

Per DJI the version of djigo4 on the CS is unique to the CS. So it does not seem to get updates as fast or current as the works done for iOS or Android. Even though the CS is running Android OS.

Tragic as it’s a great display.

The issues are either disconnects or video freezes where you get a message the DJI app is failing to respond.

Fixes. You can usually reboot the CS and if that fails to reconnect you can try a power off power on cycle.

Nice feature of the Mavic controller is the built in display which gives basic info. But if you are beyond VLOS and you can’t get the video back it’s RTH time.

I have the 7.5 standard bright and have had this issue with both my P4 and MPP.

I Have the most current firmware on the CS and djigo4 app.

For now I still use the CS but only for flights where I am VLOS.

No problems with the iPad Pro 10.5

Paul Caldwell

Last edited:
It’s a shame I would need to be kind of sight and visualize it to fly with it because there’s so much good stuff out there on these bright Hawaiian days!

Its disgusting how much the CS costs and the issues it has

I flew with my iPhone X for a while, no issues

CS Ultra.....worked a couple days and then would get pixelated/corrupted video fees that would freeze up and now I'm beginning to lose video signal completely. The bars are full and then instantly it says "Disconnected".....restarting doesn't do anything. And yes I tried swapping USB cables.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sedmonds