DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Crystalsky display

The smaller one only gets up to 1,000 nits. As a comparison, Apple Mini 4 is ~450 nits. Galaxy Note 7 (minus the explosion) is also ~1,000 nits. Some phones are at the 800-900 nits so they are getting there.

At US$640 for the smaller one, it is not worth it to me as a standalone drone monitor. 2017 phones will have 6" screens, comparable brightness, and fits in the Mavic controller.

Some phones are at the 800-900 nits so they are getting there.
Interesting. Which phones, and can you provide a source for that data? I've seen mention of the Galaxy Note 7 achieving 800 nits, but of course that device isn't available anymore. What others?

Last edited:
I'm not sure about it. It looks a bit chunky. Will it be as good as a top end smartphone screen? I'm not sure it's worth all the extra money if I'm honest.
I have to agree. If I get some successful time under my belt and all the beta testers are positive and the price is right I might consider. But $400 for just a few extra inches of screen I'm not sure is doable for me. The video that I can edit is going to be my focus ... at least for now. I've been this route with RC (and cars, and boats, and airplanes, and computers) and if you let it, it will destroy the fun, possible bankrupt you, and worse ... affect your marriage. The Mavic Pro is what I told my wife I'm buying and I can re-evaluate in a year to see if a larger screen makes it more fun. But I might start saving ... just in case. We have a budget ... I never touch it for personal stuff and that works for me.

I'm just glad this is Android based. Now maybe we can get a rock solid Android version of DJI GO.
One of the constant issues with Android stability has always been the widely varying and unpredictable hardware and software environment. The are clearly pros and cons to this approach but regardless it is a fact of life.

And that's one potential additional big advantage of the dedicated display, in that it uses purpose-designed and known hardware and software environment (no guessing what background processes may be going on or what priority they might have, etc., as on a phone or tablet.) which should result in greater stability and lower latency. And if there are any issues then DJI completely owns the problem, vs. it being due to some completely unpredictable mishmash of unknown hardware/software. I was never quite happy with the stability of BYOD displays and I think the (presumably) rock-solid reliability of a purpose-built display will be very welcome, in addition to the other advantages (brightness, faster setup, etc.)

Reactions: timsco60
It;s difficult to nit-pick ;) about luminance specs since the real-world effect is on human vision is hard to quantify based on so many variables, but suffice it to say that the CrystalSky/P4P+ dedicated display is likely going to be a lot better than a typical smartphone or tablet (else DJI just wasted a lot of development dollars.)

It;s difficult to nit-pick ;) about luminance specs since the real-world effect is on human vision is hard to quantify based on so many variables, but suffice it to say that the CrystalSky/P4P+ dedicated display is likely going to be a lot better than a typical smartphone or tablet (else DJI just wasted a lot of development dollars.)
But if the 7.9" display is as much as the Mavic sans controller I don't imagine they will sell that many, people will just put up with the lower brightness of their phone.

They're releasing that for pros to use with their I2, they couldn't care less if it's too expensive for Mavic owners.

... people will just put up with the lower brightness of their phone.
No, this people won't, and many others who are tired of squinting at their cellphone/tablet won't either. It's just not necessary anymore.

I am in the same boat, even with a good sunshade, and the brightness turned up all the way, I still have trouble with my iPhone or iPad (with screen protector) screen being easy to see in bright sunlight, which we get a lot of. If the larger one is around <$400 I will get one, 2000 NITS is crazy bright.

If people don't buy them they will discount the price. Besides I have no problem seeing either my iphone or Ipad Air2.

:rolleyes:... o_O ...:confused: F6Rider may have multiple personalities :p

821f9f2d05bbc55384201b4eb0be7ac0.jpg

Reactions: F6Rider
Maybe I should have added 'While standing under a tree' :) Direct sun on any screen I have had washes it out in summer, so I normally stand under a tree when I can, this time of year the sun is so low it doesn't bother the screen much.

Reactions: Islandguy27
It's really more like a tablet. Why they calling it a display?

You may call it what you like :) It's main function is to serve as a viewing display monitor...if you prefer to call it the CrystalSky Tablet we'll know what you mean ;)

Reactions: grizzard
You may call it what you like :) It's main function is to serve as a viewing display monitor...if you prefer to call it the CrystalSky Tablet we'll know what you mean ;)

But will it run other Android tablets apps, just like a "regular" tablet? If wont, I believe it should be called a display, just a display...

If folks are willing to pay $1000++++ for a drone (and basic accessories), more than enough will pay $1000 for a display to be able to fly it easier. This price may be lowered in the future do to increased productivity, but I, for one, will be amazed it they lower it due to lack of sales!!

My other addiction/hobby is audio and you would be amazed at what people are willing to pay for increased performance (real or imagined).

Reactions: Advexure
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bbj5143