DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Crystalsky display

If folks are willing to pay $1000++++ for a drone (and basic accessories), more than enough will pay $1000 for a display to be able to fly it easier. This price may be lowered in the future do to increased productivity, but I, for one, will be amazed it they lower it due to lack of sales!!

My other addiction/hobby is audio and you would be amazed at what people are willing to pay for increased performance (real or imagined).

There is extreme demand for the CrystalSky...just not from Mavic Pilots on this forum. Production companies and enterprise users are pre-ordering the CrystalSky left and right. It's a very easy investment to make daily drone flying for work easier.

You are right on @audioguy, if it will make the job a few minutes faster or slightly more efficient they'll buy it. Lot's of negative reaction on the CrystalSky on this forum but head over to the InspirePilots or other professional user forums...they're all the rave :)

Reactions: Alex ROV
I'm not sure about it. It looks a bit chunky. Will it be as good as a top end smartphone screen? I'm not sure it's worth all the extra money if I'm honest.
I have a friend that was using an iPad mini 2 and an older Samsung galaxy tablets to pilot his mavic. It would get screen lock issues and part of the display would be unreadable for periods of time. He upgraded to a iPad mini 4 and he does not have any issues. I personally opted for an iPad mini 4 with cellular data right out the gate and I have never had any issues with screen lock or latency.

There is extreme demand for the CrystalSky...just not from Mavic Pilots on this forum. Production companies and enterprise users are pre-ordering the CrystalSky left and right. It's a very easy investment to make daily drone flying for work easier.

You are right on @audioguy, if it will make the job a few minutes faster or slightly more efficient they'll buy it. Lot's of negative reaction on the CrystalSky on this forum but head over to the InspirePilots or other professional user forums...they're all the rave :)

How does the display look in direct sunlight? Is it a significant difference between an iPad and the CrystalSky?

How does the display look in direct sunlight? Is it a significant difference between an iPad and the CrystalSky?

It's a huuuuuge difference... Set your device at maximum brightness level, the 2000nits model is 3 to 4 times brighter with 4 to 5 hours of battery life, per battery... We will never, ever, get close to that using smartphones or tablets...

It's a huuuuuge difference... Set your device at maximum brightness level, the 2000nits model is 3 to 4 times brighter with 4 to 5 hours of battery life, per battery... We will never, ever, get close to that using smartphones or tablets...
But what about the more reasonably priced device that is only 1000 nits (I think)?

Couldn't agree more.
You guys are talking about putting professional hardware on our toys here

Reactions: Advexure
But what about the more reasonably priced device that is only 1000 nits (I think)?

I believe the 2000 nits unit gives better return for the investment... If I'm going to spend this amount of money I'd rather get it right, no chances for regrets under direct sunlight.

I believe the 2000 nits unit gives better return for the investment... If I'm going to spend this amount of money I'd rather get it right, no chances for regrets under direct sunlight.

Yeah we're probably going to see close to 1000 nits on the new iPhones coming this year...only worth it to pay that much if you're a legitimate professional with demanding requirements.

My issue is I would like to understand what 1000 nits and 2000 nits looks like. I would hate to wait months for the smaller Crystalsky only to realize 1000 nits is not a large jump in brightness from a newer phone.

The Samsung Galaxy Tab 8 E has an outdoor mode that is bright enough to use in direct sub-tropical sunlight. I am not sure how long the battery will last at that level, but I cannot find the nits value for the outdoor mode on the Tab 8E.

Does anyone know the brightness level of the Galaxy Tab 8 E, or how the level can be determined? I would be over the moon if the smaller Crystalshy was as bright as the Galaxy Tab 8E, but how can one know?

Any ideas?

kevin

Reactions: Budmancan
No, this people won't, and many others who are tired of squinting at their cellphone/tablet won't either. It's just not necessary anymore.

I agree. I went out to shoot on a beautiful day at 1:00PM. I usually shoot at dusk because of screen brightness issues (iPad mini latest). It was terrible. Could barely see the screen, and reverted back to dusk shooting.
The colors are more vibrant on a sunny day, and that's the perfect time to fly, but the screen brightness is a big hindrance.

I agree. I went out to shoot on a beautiful day at 1:00PM. I usually shoot at dusk because of screen brightness issues (iPad mini latest). It was terrible. Could barely see the screen, and reverted back to dusk shooting.
The colors are more vibrant on a sunny day, and that's the perfect time to fly, but the screen brightness is a big hindrance.

iPad Mini 4 only has 450 nits. So can we say the 5.5" CrystalSky has double the brightness? This might be good enough for most Mavic users who aren't pro enough to use it as a serious tool.

Does anyone know how to factory reset the Crystalsky?
I was playing around and I don't get android. I found erase and restart but it didn't ask me for the country settings and so on.

Also it doesn't seem to be picking up my wifi network like it did before I did the erase.

Am I missing something? Is there a keypress to 'hard' reset the device to out of the box state?

Why all the talk about the 7.85 ultra? It is not compatible with the Mavic. I had to cancel my order. Only 5.5 inch is.

Why all the talk about the 7.85 ultra? It is not compatible with the Mavic. I had to cancel my order. Only 5.5 inch is.

If you're basing this on what DJI have said on their website then don't pay any attention. It seems both screens work. Why won't they? It's an android device running an app essentially. There is nothing as far as I can see that's hardware related stopping it.

If I was getting the larger one I'd go for the ultra bright- but for me the size is too big. I don't enough to justify. For me the 5.5 appears to be perfect. It's small enough to bring along and also it can be used on my osmo and osmo pro. The larger screen would be too much I think.

I guess it's down to personal choice.

Reactions: nashuaslick
7.85 ultra? It is not compatible with the Mavic. I had to cancel my order. Only 5.5 inch is.

in what way is it NOT compatible facts only please attaching it is not a compatibility issue only an inconvenience that can easily be overcome by removing the controller rubber grips and a tiny bit of fileing which can easily be done ( i will be doing this myself to avoid aftermarket holder)

So. Does anybody know how to turn the annoying screen clicks off when you select something on the CS? All we seem to be able to do is to turn the volume down. I don't see any options for clicks etc

Reactions: Budmancan
The info from DJI stated only the 5.5 inch was compatible because of the camera gimbal. But now in the DJI forum FAQ (I posted above) they say all screens are compatible. I hope this is true!! I will be ordering the ultra. I have already confirmed with DJI Mavic and Spark iPad Tablet Adapter Mount - MavMount that they will be releasing a mount for Crystalskys.
They ALL are compatible...it's just the Mavic mounting solution that is different. Basically, DJI doesn't quite offer a mount yet for the Mavic and their proto-type is a joke.

The info from DJI stated only the 5.5 inch was compatible because of the camera gimbal. But now in the DJI forum FAQ (I posted above) they say all screens are compatible. I hope this is true!! I will be ordering the ultra. I have already confirmed with DJI Mavic and Spark iPad Tablet Adapter Mount - MavMount that they will be releasing a mount for Crystalskys.

What is the connection between the gimbal and the size of the screen? Am I missing something here?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rarmstrong2580