DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

CrystalSky Ultra Bright Monitord

j.r.r.

Reactions
I placed the order for CS Ultra Bright monitor today and looks like I didn't do proper research. Searching number of forums I noticed there were number of problems reported with this unit between last couple of months of 2017 and first 3 months of 2018. The most recent posts I see report over hitting / late fan kicks in but I don't see anything else as far as problems are concern. Should I be worrying or the most recent incarnation of Ultra Bright units are solid monitors. Any comments from users of CS UB units are very much appreciated. Thanks!

I had an issue with my ultra where the backlight went out. I had to send it back in for warranty repair which took about 3 weeks from the time it left my house to the time it made it back. There were issues with crystalsky ultra monitors overheating but the last update is supposed to have fixed that, so make sure you update it before you go out into the heat with it. Mine still does run hot, but not hot enough to where it will damage anything, and that's only if I have it in direct sunlight when I'm using it. If I'm using it in the shade it gets warm, but not hot. If the backlight were to fail, chances are it would do so within the first year, so you have the warranty to fall back on.

Other than that, it's been a great unit for me. You will be impressed with how well you can see the screen. Not only that, but you will be able to see much more detail because it is brighter. If you are upgrading from a smaller screen, the difference will be even greater. Mine has had one problem, and it sucked. But...I am still a happy camper because the screen is that good.

Forgot to say this before, but I would not recommend the dji mount. It mounts it to the bottom of the controller and makes it bottom heavy and awkward. I would recommend the polar pro mount. I have it, and it feels solid and it distributes the weight well. Only downside to it, is that it blocks your controller screen. Not a big deal to me, but might be for others.

Thank you Mavflyer! I'm updating from Samsung Note 4 so I hope to improvement will be more than significant. I watched tones of review on YT and looks like the Ultra Bright has no competition, specially in direct sunlight. I hope DJI addressed the backlight and over heating issues in the most recent production batches. Thanks again!

Forgot to say this before, but I would not recommend the dji mount. It mounts it to the bottom of the controller and makes it bottom heavy and awkward. I would recommend the polar pro mount. I have it, and it feels solid and it distributes the weight well. Only downside to it, is that it blocks your controller screen. Not a big deal to me, but might be for others.
Yes Polarpro one is good.

But the screw to adjust and hold the angle of the CS is weak and need to be tight strongly each time you change the angle. The tool delivered with the mount (flat screwdriver) is too small for the screw, it finish to damage the screw. That was not usable for me as it was. In my box, the CS need to be flat and folded each time to use it.
I added a screw to be able to tight the screw so the angle is locked (it's ugly, I know, but it work to give enough grip without an extra tool).
20180616_222829.jpg
It is also not as nice as the DJI one if you want to use also the CS on Phantom RC and Mavic style RC. That's 2 screws each time.

Good is that the cable is yours so you can change it at any time. With the DJI it looks like molded in the fixation and when the connector will become old...

The crystalsky was a good purchase for me, I got the 5.5 version the larger 7' version would be better as far as readable. Mine has overheated in direct sunlight at 90 + degrees yet still operated as it should have.

Thank you all for your comments. At this point I have wait for the delivery and I will find out how really they work. Not sure I made right decision ordering DJI mounting bracket but again I will see how it fits once I have both in my hands :) Thanks again!

Thank you all for your comments. At this point I have wait for the delivery and I will find out how really they work. Not sure I made right decision ordering DJI mounting bracket but again I will see how it fits once I have both in my hands :) Thanks again!
You may like the mount. It does keep the controller screen visible which is a plus. I just wasnt a fan of it. If you dont like it, you can always return it. The polar pro one is cheaper too, so you may save some money if you dont like it and decide to buy polar pro or a different one.

I have the Crystalsky Ultra, and I have had no problems. the display is brilliant, and makes a good monitor for editing.
I recommend that you buy the CS adapter from Mavmount - $29. You can then mount the CS to a tripod that can be raised to eye level.
The CS is heavy after 20+ minutes (actually it's that your biceps are in a curl position the whole time, so they tighten), so the tripod REALLY helps with that. In addition, there's no neck strain as the CS is at eye level. Also, people think you are professional videographer, or something like that.

I placed the order for CS Ultra Bright monitor today and looks like I didn't do proper research. Searching number of forums I noticed there were number of problems reported with this unit between last couple of months of 2017 and first 3 months of 2018. The most recent posts I see report over hitting / late fan kicks in but I don't see anything else as far as problems are concern. Should I be worrying or the most recent incarnation of Ultra Bright units are solid monitors. Any comments from users of CS UB units are very much appreciated. Thanks!
I've been in the boat where I got one of the first units when DJI shipped them. It failed 3 months later. The one I've gotten since as a replacement, which I can only assume is a rework of the previous models, hasn't had issues.

I like this kind of solution:
[2018 Edition] DJI Mavic Pro Platinum, Spark Accessories, Remote Controller Device Holder, Foldable 4-10 Inch Phone Tablet Extended Mount + Neck Strap
https://www.amazon.ca/Platinum-Accessories-Controller-Foldable-Extended/dp/B0785HKLDD
where I don't have to screw any brackets to the monitor. If I don't like the DJI bracket I will give a try to one above. Thanks!
Not sure if you know this, but that type of mount won't work with the crystal sky. Those are for tablets that have a flat back. The battery sticks out pretty far in the back of the crystal sky, so you kind of have to use the screws to mount the bracket. There may be some other mounts that don't require screwing it in, I just haven't looked in to it.

Not sure if you know this, but that type of mount won't work with the crystal sky. Those are for tablets that have a flat back. The battery sticks out pretty far in the back of the crystal sky, so you kind of have to use the screws to mount the bracket. There may be some other mounts that don't require screwing it in, I just haven't looked in to it.
Yes and it is also significantly heavier. The screw mount is really needed, especially at that price.

Thank you, very good advice. I realized that clamp holders won't work when I check dimension of the CS monitor on DJI web-site last night. Thickness without battery 17mm with batter 34.75mm. I will wait for the delivery of CS monitor and DJI mount, then decide if I want to spend another $$ for different solution. Thanks!

Yes Polarpro one is good.

But the screw to adjust and hold the angle of the CS is weak and need to be tight strongly each time you change the angle. The tool delivered with the mount (flat screwdriver) is too small for the screw, it finish to damage the screw. That was not usable for me as it was. In my box, the CS need to be flat and folded each time to use it.

The adjustment screw is a very poor mechanism. Agreed that the screwdriver damages the screw immediately. Also, the screw on mine unthreaded itself from the spindle, leaving the spindle in place, rendering the device completely useless. I returned it for a refund and got the Mavmount instead. The ball mount on on the Mavmount tightens without tools perfectly. A much better solution.

The adjustment screw is a very poor mechanism. Agreed that the screwdriver damages the screw immediately.
You're the second person in this thread to say something about the included "screwdriver" messing up the thumbscrew. That included "screwdriver" is for the mounting piece screws, not the thumbscew. You shouldn't use it on the thumbscrew as it's no where near the right size. I think it should be apparent for most people that it will strip it. Just as using the wrong size wrench will strip bolts, using the wrong size screwdriver will strip screws.
the screw on mine unthreaded itself from the spindle, leaving the spindle in place, rendering the device completely useless
I'm not really sure what you mean here. Are you saying you stripped the threads on the thumbscrew too?

You're the second person in this thread to say something about the included "screwdriver" messing up the thumbscrew. That included "screwdriver" is for the mounting piece screws, not the thumbscew. You shouldn't use it on the thumbscrew as it's no where near the right size. I think it should be apparent for most people that it will strip it. Just as using the wrong size wrench will strip bolts, using the wrong size screwdriver will strip screws.
Yes, that was going to poor result with that screwdriver but as it is same as for Phantom 3 RC, that was a carrying saving nice option.
Do you mean that it can be hand tighten? I welcome any solution, mine was to modify the screw to get more grip and avoid any tool.
On mine that's a no go as in my box I have to set it flat in the box and fold it each time. Each time, I have to tight it.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahb