DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Customs issues in Mexico (Cancun airport)

I am from Mexico, I have a P3 and a Mavic. When I am going out of the country I have to report the drone to customs so when I return home they don't charge me duties for the drone (16% of it's value). The P3 got noticed once and I have to show the form. I have entered with the Mavic twice with my form prepared and they haven't asked for it. Sometimes they ask, sometimes they don't.
The only restricted sites here, besides near airports are the archeological sites. Other than that you can fly anywhere. Have fun!

Jorge
So I wouldnt be able to fly near Tulum? I wouldnt need to fly over it (although, it would be a good vid). How about flying out over the water behind the cliff and just increasing the altitude til I was higher than the ruins. Thwt wpuld be a good vid.

sent from my Galaxy Note4

Reactions: jakehinman
I arrived in Cabo San Lucas yesterday with my Mavic. I had put my "Fly More" bag in my back pack with the Mavic, 2 spare batteries etc. There was no question at TSA in Portland Oregon.

In Los Cabos, everything had to go through the X-ray, including my backpack with with the Mavic inside. No questions asked.

I'll be flying out of PDX to Cabo as well. If they give me any grief I'll just let them know 'Dadcat' was just here w/o problems... ;)

Reactions: jakehinman
Two years ago, going through customs in Cabo with my P3P, I got a "Red" result when I pushed the button. That meant inspection time.. They found the P3P and asked me how much it cost. I told them 1200. They charged me a tax on 200.. Apparently anything over 1,000 can be taxed. They gave me a receipt and said I would never have to pay the tax again..

Morale of the story.. if you are unlucky enough to get a 'Red' response to pushing the button, just be prepared to tell them your drone (Mavic or whatever) cost $999.
Sounds like a 'tax' not a tax.

Sounds like a 'tax' not a tax.
Yes, agreed. My wife told me that the female customs agent had issues.. She was insistent that they pull me aside to pay the tax, whereas the guys were ok to let me skip it.

...Here the video I ended up making with all the equipment I brought:
Great trip video, thanks for sharing.
In the last shot it looks like a security guy is coming up to you...just curious or did he hassle you?

Great trip video, thanks for sharing.
In the last shot it looks like a security guy is coming up to you...just curious or did he hassle you?

Thanks! He really was more curious than anything. I had a myriad of people coming up to me whenever I fly. From Police, security, tourists and locals. They were pretty amazed drones have gotten to a point where it fit in my bag. Shouldve seen their faces when I folded the arms in haha

No issues landing I Cancun today! Went right through customs.
I wasn't checked though, so I can't really speak for what would've happened in that situation.
But my Mavic was in my bag and went through the scanner.

Let us know - I fly to Cancun the following week :)

Not a problem bringing a drone to Mexico thru customs at the airport. I have done that many times, just be nice and polite.

The man asked about Cancun..

I went in December on Spirit Airlines. Had the Mavic in the fly more bag with 3 batteries (fully charged oops), 15,000mah external battery, gopro 5 and 4 batteries. Note: no battery terminal protectors or anything fancy. Carried it on and carried it off. It was scanned at Houston Intercontinental and also at Cancun International. TSA decided that checking my girlfriend's bag was much more important and didnt bat an eye at the Mavic. I also had a carton of cigarettes on me which didnt raise any eyebrows.

Here the video I ended up making with all the equipment I brought:

Same experience here last month at Cancun International, no issues at all.
We just came back from another trip to Costa Rica, flying with the Mavic thru TSA was uneventful. If anything my wife's purse made TSA's x-ray machine light up like a xmas tree. She was stopped on the way there and on the way back connecting in Atlanta.

Just got back from Cancun (2 days ago). Took the Mavic thru from London Gatwick and back on a BA flight.
No problems with Mavic in either direction.
I took it on as hand luggage - 4 batteries all in a separate LiPo bag. Went thru xrays without even a mention.
Only downside was that it was too windy to fly plus they don't let you fly drones over the Mayan temples as they are National Parks.
Other than that, take your Mavic with confidence and enjoy!

JUST purchased my Mavic ... but BEFORE that, brought my P3P to Huatulco Mexico in January. ZERO issues entering the country, and ZERO issues flying where I wanted to fly. Usual rules re flying apply .. don't do anything stupid, or do anything to draw undue attention to yourself. Re customs again .... MY experience was good. As usual, it depends upon who talks to you (customs agent) and what kind of mood they are in. Have fun!

I went in December on Spirit Airlines. Had the Mavic in the fly more bag with 3 batteries (fully charged oops), 15,000mah external battery, gopro 5 and 4 batteries. Note: no battery terminal protectors or anything fancy. Carried it on and carried it off. It was scanned at Houston Intercontinental and also at Cancun International. TSA decided that checking my girlfriend's bag was much more important and didnt bat an eye at the Mavic. I also had a carton of cigarettes on me which didnt raise any eyebrows.

Awesome video. Pretty cool that they let you record everywhere it seems.

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

Mantra when flying in "Money Talks". I've been in Monte Alban AT NIGHT. With a TRIPOD. Two big no no's. $10. 1999 dollars.

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

Great video

Hey there,

I just spent a week (beginning of March) in Mexico and flew direct from San Francisco to Cancun and back.

Packed my MP in a carry on bag. All three batteries and the charging cord.

Went through the scanners/x-ray machines at all the airports without a hitch. Nobody even took a second look at at it.

Flew it all around my place in Playa del Carmen without any issue. Local cops walked right past me as I was flying it. :)

Travel videos are so much more fun to make now!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PilotOne