DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Customs issues in Mexico (Cancun airport)

Hey there,

I just spent a week (beginning of March) in Mexico and flew direct from San Francisco to Cancun and back.

Packed my MP in a carry on bag. All three batteries and the charging cord.

Went through the scanners/x-ray machines at all the airports without a hitch. Nobody even took a second look at at it.

Flew it all around my place in Playa del Carmen without any issue. Local cops walked right past me as I was flying it. :)

Travel videos are so much more fun to make now!

Many thanks for the feedback! It'll help reduce stress when I head through security & customs next month.

when you guys are traveling with your mavics do you leave it in your bag when going through the scanners or take it out and put it in its own bin

Thanks! I'd really appreciate it.

Two Mexi trips with Mavic, zippo issues anywhere, got some great shots and vids check my IG @renicgear I carry it in its own backpack with ipad mini and 5 batteries and big blue charger

Reactions: jakehinman
The man asked about Cancun..

I went in December on Spirit Airlines. Had the Mavic in the fly more bag with 3 batteries (fully charged oops), 15,000mah external battery, gopro 5 and 4 batteries. Note: no battery terminal protectors or anything fancy. Carried it on and carried it off. It was scanned at Houston Intercontinental and also at Cancun International. TSA decided that checking my girlfriend's bag was much more important and didnt bat an eye at the Mavic. I also had a carton of cigarettes on me which didnt raise any eyebrows.

Here the video I ended up making with all the equipment I brought:
What a great video !

Reactions: TRP and jakehinman
when you guys are traveling with your mavics do you leave it in your bag when going through the scanners or take it out and put it in its own bin

As cheap insurance, I bought LiPo battery bags for airline travel as I've read a few stories of TSA agents confiscating batteries at various airports. They're about $8 per bag for Mavic batteries on Amazon.

I left the mavic in the bag. I did not take it out. One battery was on the Mavic, the other two were in LiPo pouches. Also in the bag.
I only take out laptops because that is all they requested.

I left the mavic in the bag. I did not take it out. One battery was on the Mavic, the other two were in LiPo pouches. Also in the bag.
I only take out laptops because that is all they requested.
I returned yesterday from a 12 day trip to Mexico. 5 days in Mexico City and 7 days at a small resort with just family North of Zihuatanejo. While in Mexico city, I left the drone in the room safe the whole time. Illegal at the ruins and too many people everywhere else.

At the private resort, I flew everywhere. Had problems with the Android app on my Pixel XL - went away when I turned off video caching. I think I was flying so much the video cache kept getting full (only had about 4gb free on my 32gb phone) and the app crashed instead of freeing up space.

One item: when returning through Mexico City airport, in security, I took my Chromebook out of my backpack but left all other electronics. After the scan, the official had me remove all electronics from my carry-on backpack: drone, controller, extra phone, extra battery, charging cables for phones, then they re-scanned the bin with all the items separated. They weren't concerned about the drone per se, but got worried when it was a jumbled mess in my bag.

Time to start editing the footage!

Last edited:
The man asked about Cancun..

I went in December on Spirit Airlines. Had the Mavic in the fly more bag with 3 batteries (fully charged oops), 15,000mah external battery, gopro 5 and 4 batteries. Note: no battery terminal protectors or anything fancy. Carried it on and carried it off. It was scanned at Houston Intercontinental and also at Cancun International. TSA decided that checking my girlfriend's bag was much more important and didnt bat an eye at the Mavic. I also had a carton of cigarettes on me which didnt raise any eyebrows.

Here the video I ended up making with all the equipment I brought:

Footage looks great! Side question, where did you end up staying? Did you like it there? My girlfriend and I are taking a trip to Cancun may 3rd, and trying to find a nice all inclusive, do the zip line and cave exploration, etc.

Reactions: dbrboucher2
Hi All,
Thought I'd update everyone on my experience flying in Yucatan Peninsula...in particular flying over historic sites / ruins which I've noticed a bit of conversation on. The short answer is that flying over historic sites / ruins is not allowed...it is however possible if you're willing to wing it a little. I was able to get about 30mins of flight time over the Tulum Ruins before I was shut down by security. I had to pay a small bribe - about USD50 - but it was well worth it for the epic footage. Here's a video with some footage of the ruins - kicks odd around 1.38.

Can anyone offer experienced based advice on bringing a Mavic / Phantom into Mexico via the Cancun airport? Or any insight regarding Mexican law and potential duties / tariffs that would be imposed for bringing in a drone?

I ask because the Bahamian Customs authorities recently mandated a fee of half the value of your drone as if you choose to enter with one.

Thanks for any & all help.
I have been there once with my Mavic and did not have any issues.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ryanhafeman