DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Dealing with "idiots"?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Do you guys have a magical ability to deal with people who ask stupid questions?

how far will it go?
how fast will it go?
how high will it go?
how do I point my antennas?
what does RTH do?

I've seen so many conversations on various sites / groups where people are asking the same questions over and over and they are all in the manual.

Ten minutes later they'll either argue the toss with your reply or they'll have a crash that is totally DJI's fault.

i admit I asked a few questions before I had the drone and I've tried to learn stuff as I go but I've read the manual thoroughly!
If I’m Flying At The Time, I Tell Them I Need To Concentrate On What I’m Doing At The Time. In A Nice Way.
If Inbetween Flights, I’ll Talk To Them A FEW Minutes. And Then Get On To My Flying...
I Tell Them To Do What I Did. Read Read Read, And Then, Read Some More...

Reactions: old man mavic
Do you guys have a magical ability to deal with people who ask stupid questions?

how far will it go?
how fast will it go?
how high will it go?
what does RTH do?

I've seen so many conversations on various sites / groups where people are asking the same questions over and over and they are all in the manual.

Ten minutes later they'll either argue the toss with your reply or they'll have a crash that is totally DJI's fault.

i admit I asked a few questions before I had the drone and I've tried to learn stuff as I go but I've read the manual thoroughly!
let them ask even if you just answered it a minute before , i as a mechanic get this all the time just answer the question or take yourself away from the situation

how far will it go?
how fast will it go?
how high will it go?
what does RTH do?

My manual was so pathetic, it contained no useful information. After asking stupid questions, I found out there is a downloadable manual with all the info I need for free online. Now I try to be helpful to the next person. I never feel bad they ask! it is when they don't ask that can be a problem...

I remember seeing my first drone up close and personal, before I owned a drone. It was in the summer of 2015 (got my 1st drone in Feb 2016). I asked a bunch of questions, The guy was THRILLED to answer them, and gave me his website to see some of his videos, even showed me some on his iPad. If you love the hobby, usually you're more than happy to discuss with inquisitive people. One guy after seeing my drone, asked me about filming his wedding, but it never came to fruition.

Most answers in this thread seem to have come from within the US.
I can assure you all though, regardless of where in the world a person asking such questions comes from, those questions all seem to have a pretty similar theme.
To say that UAV pilots the world over aren't facing big enough hurdles with "bad press" and "fake news" almost always overriding any positive media coverage about this very new form of aviation, is an understatement.
My thought is; as a brotherhood, anything we can do to help promote UAV positivity has got to be worth a smile, and the very slight pain of repeating answers to the same questions how far, how fast, how high.... and so on. You know that saying: "I told two people and they told two people...." Its an educational process that over time can keep on giving; hopefully in a more positive way than most media would ever consider promoting.

Happy and safe flying ? ;)

Last edited:
When I first started flying RC planes I knew less than nothing about the hobby. Fortunately for me the local RC club was full of people eager to help someone like me. Someone who was asking the same old newbie ( or as some might call them “idiotic”) questions.

Due to their kindness, patience, and eagerness to help, I got to learn an awful lot. So it is with this forum. Although I’ve been flying drones for a little over 3 years, I still learn something almost every time I come on this forum. That is totally due to the kindness, patience, and eagerness to help from the great people on this forum.

In fact I was just reading a post where one of our members stayed with a 15 yr old and kept answering his questions until the 15 yr old understood. I was proud to think I belonged to the same forum.?

So many crashes ... so many pple violating VLOS , violating altitude restrictions...etc..they are responsible for giving drones a bad reputation... I’m sorry but if you crash your drone... it’s probably 99% pilot error. Take your losses and find a new hobby. Maybe RC cars???

I look at these new pilots as being humble, not prideful by thinking they know it all. We are educators and ambassadors to new pilots. No, such thing as a stupid question, some questions my be annoying only because many have been flying for quite a while. I have personally learned from all the questions and answers on this forum. When people do something new, no way can they cover all the info, and let it sink in. A wise man once wrote " The swiftest person does not always win the race, nor the strongest man the Battle, and that wise men are not necessarily famous, but it is all by chance, by happening to be at the right place at the right time" We have to remember, that these are new pilots and are excited. How many of us read the entire manual when we buy a new car?

I've been flying kites for about 20 years. Can't count the number of times I've been asked, how high will it go. I've come to learn that some people don't understand these things. However, with a drone I don't see any problem with these questions. Basically it is mostly a question of distance. No reason for most people to know that they can fly miles.

Reactions: Haggar

how far will it go?
how fast will it go?
how high will it go?
what does RTH do?
while you are here, if you wouldn't mind, answer a quick question for me please. If I hit return to home on my mavic but I'm not at home will it actually fly all the way back to my house? Even if I don't want it to?
Also, when I fly my pocket drone, should I take it out of my pocket before I start it and try to take off? Last time I got 5 feet off the ground before I began to suspect I might be doing it wrong. Thank you in advance for your patient and thoughtful reply.

I learnt about this year's ago when I was playing a game that needed mobile internet in places there wasn't any. I looked into ways of getting data and realised that I could simply attach a phone to a drone and relay data. I was flying in "secure" areas so had to research what I could and couldn't do. If I didn't seek relevant approval I'd have been having words with the military police so decided to do as much research as I could. I read manuals, I watched YouTube documentaries and then did a lot of trial and error with an old school phantom.

I try to learn then ask questions.

Sure enough I like to read about people's mistakes and other people's findings. I do love trying to keep up with the knowledge of a few of the guys on here. Some of the stuff they say is almost another language but I'm happy to go away and try to understand.

I feel the same way about this approach...but that is just me. When someone comes on board that is new on some of the other forums I am on, and they ask questions, and if it looks like they are engaged, I answer, then refer them to the resources they need to read in order to understand. If they refuse to read, or cannot be bothered doing some research, then I usually don't interact. Some of the others are right when they say that different people learn in different ways. It is also our job, if we choose to accept it, to help them learn to learn. Cheers, Scott

After having been involved in aviation both military and civilian for over 37 years, I see it on the manned side as well. Easier to ask than research. Like most, I try to help when I can and smile while doing it.

I really dislike facebook groups for the sole reason of the jerks that feel they have to belittle and embarrass a person for asking a question or asking for seasoned advice. If you aren't interested in answering it constructively just ignore it and move along. Also, I see blatantly false information being offered to persons that may be just starting out in a given subject and may not realize the information is false. This can lead to damaging equipment and potentially injury to persons. Can you say "Liability"?
I have only been on this forum a short time as I am new to this hobby. So far I am very impressed with the majority of what I am seeing here and very thankful that I don't feel threatened about my current ignorance of this hobby and desire to learn!

One day driving in Seattle, all 4 lanes were going around 52 mph. I was in left lane and getting pissed at the guy in front of me. I was giving him every indication I wanted to pass. Finally, after what felt like a lifetime, he moved over. As I passed, I looked at him and it was man, probably 90 years old and he looked at me and stuck his tongue out at me. I laughed and took a deep breath. Somehow this thread reminds me of that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Whitehammer661