DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Dealing with the privacy issue

jontracey

Reactions
I get a lot of people ( at least 1 every time I fly my Mavic) asking about privacy and am I invading their privacy or worse breaking some laws by flying my drone.

I recently was asked by our parish council to film the congestion outside one of our schools, I did this from 120m so there was no way to identify anyone and it gave the best views of the trafifc flows but a few people lost their minds.

So I have been trying to educate them, so I created this video to post to our local facebook group, its nothing new for you guys as you know all this anyways but interested in your feedback all the same, on the video and the topic in general.

Thanks

Jt

I've found opinion from others to be a bit of a mixed bag.
Was out walking yesterday and some walkers were curious about the mavic and it was good giving out information to clear things up considering the bad press we have had recently in the UK.
Thanks for the video [emoji111]️[emoji1]

A good effort at educating non-drone people. I've had the police called on me for "spying on the neighbors", but fortunately for me the cops were well-versed in airspace rights. They simply suggested I be sensitive to people's paranoia. Which I always am, and at the time was flying in a vacant field distant from the neighbor houses. Which goes to show that even when you are nowhere near people, there will still be some paranoid sycophant who wants to stop your flying.

A good effort at educating non-drone people. I've had the police called on me for "spying on the neighbors", but fortunately for me the cops were well-versed in airspace rights. They simply suggested I be sensitive to people's paranoia. Which I always am, and at the time was flying in a vacant field distant from the neighbor houses. Which goes to show that even when you are nowhere near people, there will still be some paranoid sycophant who wants to stop your flying.

wow and I thought some of my neighbours were bad, good job the cops are more understanding than your neighbours

I get a lot of people ( at least 1 every time I fly my Mavic) asking about privacy and am I invading their privacy or worse breaking some laws by flying my drone.

I recently was asked by our parish council to film the congestion outside one of our schools, I did this from 120m so there was no way to identify anyone and it gave the best views of the trafifc flows but a few people lost their minds.

So I have been trying to educate them, so I created this video to post to our local facebook group, its nothing new for you guys as you know all this anyways but interested in your feedback all the same, on the video and the topic in general.

Thanks

Jt

This should be shown over and over in national stations until last anti-drone idiot gets sick of watching it because there will be no more ground to attack...

The law say 50m away from structures not under my control so in that case taking off from my back garden (ie under my control)to an attitude of 50m is technically legal?

Last edited:
Exact reason why I haven't taken my Mavic out in the back garden incase the neibours start moaning. Drone = Spying/snooping.

Exactly the same here mate! Much as I'd love to, but I live on a big housing estate, the entire neighbourhood would probably freak the F out.

be sensitive to people's paranoia

Cool quote, pretty much sums it up. Can I steal that for a forum sig? :)

Reactions: Maxheadspace
I recently made a thread 1st Experience with Law Enforcement and an Idiot.
The state trooper who handled the call, after everything was taken care of. He explained to me that even though she did try to play the Privacy card, He had to make a determination as to whether there is a reasonable expectation of privacy. He told to me that, since we are in a public area, he did not feel there was reasonable expectation of privacy. Now if someone is on private property, even though the airspace isnt private them being on private property the person then does have a reasonable expectation to privacy.

I recently made a thread 1st Experience with Law Enforcement and an Idiot.
The state trooper who handled the call, after everything was taken care of. He explained to me that even though she did try to play the Privacy card, He had to make a determination as to whether there is a reasonable expectation of privacy.

I don't know that his analysis is totally accurate, but the outcome was in your favor anyway. For privacy expectation it would probably have to be "peeping Tom" standards, as in looking into someone's house. Even for the police, your "right to privacy" usually applies to your property's curtelage, which mostly is limited to the house.

Thanks

Jt

This is great John, I've posted this on my facebook page. I was recently doing a shoot over a fairly wide river, hovering about 3 meters over it, yet I still received comments from passers by about it being an 'awful invasion of privacy'. Trying to educate people is a bit of a challenge.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
magic31