DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Default 3.5G file size limit?

Avidemux is free, multiplatform, you can just throw all of the clips in in order, leave both audio/video to Copy, set output format to MP4 and save. Done.

LosslessCut is another.
Does it save at 4k?
First the file size limit isn't because of a file system limit. DJI uses the "exFat" file system when formatting the card. The max file size limit under this file system is 16 EB (Exabyte). This limit is imposed by DJI and can be best explained by a GoPro support page as GoPro also breaks up long videos into multiple 4GB files which GoPro calls "Chapters".

From GoPro Support:
Question
How are chapters created with GoPro cameras?

Answer
When taking a video recording, the camera will automatically segment into a new file chapter once it has reached a certain size. These files when put together with editing software will play seamlessly as if they were never chaptered, and when played back from the camera directly will also play through as one continuation.

This chaptering is intentional and there is no way to keep the camera from doing so. Chapters are divided like this so in the event of a jolt or crash that causes a file to become corrupted, only a portion of your video will be effected and not the whole thing. While there is a file recovery feature in the camera, chaptering is a precaution step just in case the feature is unable to fix the video.

Source: GoPro Camera File Chaptering Information
Well, DJI only does this to 4K video, 2.7k is fine, so I don't think the crash bit is the reason. Why don't they apply this to videos less than 4K. I have to say I think it is totally stupid, if DJI consider us all competent video editors. I most certainly am not. I did manage to join the videos together on the Windows editor,, but it will only save in 1080p, so I may as well forget 4k. What has this to do with GoPro anyway? It's a bloody shame to purchase a 4k flying video machine and only use 2.7k because DJI consider that people who take 4k video are all professionals! Yes, I am upset about this, and especially about all the members of this forum who are making excuses for DJI?

Does it save at 4k?
With both audio and video set to copy it does just that, just copy the streams as is into the new joined file. Fast and no modification.

Why don't they apply this to videos less than 4K.
The limit is there for all formats, just that since the others use less data per minute one file holds a longer duration, potentially long enough that you don't get to it in your typical recording lengths.

What has this to do with GoPro anyway?
That was mentioning that it's standard behavior for many cameras.

so us pensioners need to buy a video editor so we can have one video?
Most OS's already contain a video editor and there are other free one's available as well. The Mac has iMovie, and you can use Davinci Resolve with some limitations for free as well. This I assume is also available for Windows in the same way.

Also Windows depending on version should also contain a video editor. used to be called Movie Maker, though with later versions of Windows 10 and 11, its probably something else...

You should look around first, before assuming that you have no options other than to spend $$$. Of course software that you'd buy would probably have support and more features, but unless you need those features, chances are a free editor would work for you just fine.

Also, in many cases, you capture much more video in your drone flights than you ever need to share, or just video that you really don't need or does not look good.. So not using an editor to get the highlights and probably some titles to note where you captured the video, in some ways makes having a video editor a necessity. Plus as noted earlier, in this thread, if you capture a long flight and it creates multiple video files, they merge seamlessly in most any video editor you would probably use.

so us pensioners need to buy a video editor so we can have one video?
If you are just stitching together clips, there's an open-source command line tool named ffmpeg that can easily stitch 2 or more files together. If you need to edit and color-correct, then you'll want to use the free version of DaVinci Resolve (as @mobilehomer suggested)

What's the largest filesize you've had shooting 2.7K video?
Yes you're right .... I have just checked and 3.8Gb is the largest file I had on the Mini 2... Using 2.7k at 30fps H264, today on the Mini 3Pro, for a 24 minute flight, I ended up with 3 files, 2 @3.7Gb,and 1 @1.5 Gb, which isn't too bad. Not 4k tho .... I will try H265 tomorrow and see how it goes, as I understand this gives a smaller file. Still a PIA tho', but I understand it is not a problem of DJI doing ...

Yes you're right .... I have just checked and 3.8Gb is the largest file I had on the Mini 2... Using 2.7k at 30fps H264, today on the Mini 3Pro, for a 24 minute flight, I ended up with 3 files, 2 @3.7Gb,and 1 @1.5 Gb, which isn't too bad. Not 4k tho .... I will try H265 tomorrow and see how it goes, as I understand this gives a smaller file. Still a PIA tho', but I understand it is not a problem of DJI doing ...
This is not a problem, its the way its designed for various reasons, and most if not all cameras saving large videos to SD cards of whatever flavor, will have this feature.

However as noted perhaps few times in this thread, when you take the consecutive recorded files from a single flight, no matter how many there are, and drop them sequentially into any good video editor, they will play seamlessly and you'd never know that its multiple files by watching the playback...

The lower the resolution in which you record, will allow for a longer video in a single file. Also, using H.265 will allow for a longer video in the same file because of its better compression, however eventually, it will create a new file if you continue to record a lengthy video.

I tried quite a few joining programs, but they were all pretty complicated to use, for me anyway. However, I found one called ShutterEnclosure, in which you just choose files and select 'merge'. Very simple and quite fast ...

I tried quite a few joining programs, but they were all pretty complicated to use, for me anyway. However, I found one called ShutterEnclosure, in which you just choose files and select 'merge'. Very simple and quite fast ...
I am not referring to joining programs, I am talking about video editing programs, you drop the files into the timeline and they are merged instantly. some are free. pretty sure they’re mentioned in this thread .

Once edited, you can save the complete video to a single file usually there are clips in your video that you want to remove to improve it.

Really. I am not in the habit of telling lies ... I stated that I had tried a number of programs, but I found them pretty difficult with timelines, big gaps, editing etc ... I am quite happy with ShutterEnclosure, and that is the one I am going to use to merge the videos, thankyou ....

Really. I am not in the habit of telling lies ... I stated that I had tried a number of programs, but I found them pretty difficult with timelines, big gaps, editing etc ... I am quite happy with ShutterEnclosure, and that is the one I am going to use to merge the videos
I was not implying that you were lying. I just know there are simple ways with free software to edit and merge multiple video files, if you think you found something that works, great.

Couldn't find anything called ShutterEnclosure. I did find something called Shutter Encoder though.

Really. I am not in the habit of telling lies ... I stated that I had tried a number of programs, but I found them pretty difficult with timelines, big gaps, editing etc ... I am quite happy with ShutterEnclosure, and that is the one I am going to use to merge the videos, thankyou ....
Did you mean Shutter Encoder?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mandeh