DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Descent automatically slows to less than 1 mph

toddlaroche

Reactions
I bought a new Mavic air 2 and it's acting strangely: It's rate of descent slows to less than 1 mph between certain altitudes. I can't control its descent rate no matter what I do with the controller in any mode. Just between certain altitudes. Any guesses as to what that's about?

I bought a new Mavic air 2 and it's acting strangely: It's rate of descent slows to less than 1 mph between certain altitudes. I can't control its descent rate no matter what I do with the controller in any mode. Just between certain altitudes. Any guesses as to what that's about?
If you post the flight data, that might give some clues.

Go to DJI Flight Log Viewer | Phantom Help
Follow the instructions there to upload your flight record from your phone or tablet.
That will give you a detailed report of the flight.
Come back and post a link to the report it gives you.
Or .. just post the txt file here.

It may save some time, what are these altitudes? They do slow as the ground comes within range of the downward looking sensors, then even more so in the last few feet.

Cine mode?

Cheers!

All three modes, same thing... rate of descent slows to a crawl... dangerous because it takes so long to come down the battery may run out1
Do you want to find out why this happened or just wait for someone to guess?

Reactions: db4476
Post a log of one of the flights, the DJI.....txt file from the phone. With that people can look at controls vs actual flight speed. When exported from Airdata or PhantomHelp, the CSV will show actual vertical speed, so you can see if it's an optical illusion or if it's really changing with altitude.

Reactions: MARK (LI)
Post a log of one of the flights, the DJI.....txt file from the phone. With that people can look at controls vs actual flight speed. When exported from Airdata or PhantomHelp, the CSV will show actual vertical speed, so you can see if it's an optical illusion or if it's really changing with altitude.
I've done all that... control is in max descent position and the descent rate just slows up for no reason.

I've done all that... control is in max descent position and the descent rate just slows up for no reason.
Since you've done that, why not post a plot of the altitude, vertical speed, and control positions. Easy to do with CSVview.

Reactions: MARK (LI)
It's rate of descent slows to less than 1 mph between certain altitudes.
It might happen if the IR sensor on the bottom (the one on the bottom back side) is dirty. Clean it, and clean all of the sensors actually, and then try to fly again.

I've seen similar behavior when the back of my MA2 is facing bright sunlight. I can see and hear the proximity alarms going off and the drone won't move. I think something happened in a firmware update along the way where the sensitivity of the sensors got turned up too high...or something like that. It's pretty annoying when trying to shoot a video or maneuver the drone back home.

Reactions: Yaros
I have owned an Air 2 for two years and have never experienced a delay in descent mode, although I don’t fly at 300-400 feet. It does seem odd that you are getting the slow down repeatedly and in the same altitude band. I assume that you are gauging the issue by referencing the Fly app height displayed on screen as well as by visuals. Have you tried flying the drone in a completely different region, to test it with other parameters, to check repeatability elsewhere? And have you downloaded all of the latest updates, as there are likely to be some in existence and not installed in the new drone out of the box. Beyond that, do you have any friends with Air 2 drones who can fly alongside yours, mostly to test the parameters? Then post the flight logs here; there are lots of friendly people who will be happy to offer assistance interpreting them. Good luck. 👍😎🇳🇿

Reactions: db4476
I have the same problem with my ma2 actually slows to a crawl or stops at 1,000 ft agl until low battery forces it to to descend. If you find the solution please post. Yes I know it’s at 1,000 ft agl but it wasn’t more than 200 ft above the ground in the mountains I was flying in.

I have the same problem with my ma2 actually slows to a crawl or stops at 1,000 ft agl until low battery forces it to to descend. If you find the solution please post. Yes I know it’s at 1,000 ft agl but it wasn’t more than 200 ft above the ground in the mountains I was flying in.
I think you meant 1,000' MSL and 200' AGL.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PilotOne