DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Descent on Return to Home

Asgard

Reactions
Twice today my Mavic 2 descended when I hit the RTH button, both times it was initiated with the drone about 3 metres from ground so I had to act quick to stop it.
Any ideas what is going on?
my RTH was set at 50 metres I am on latest firmware on drone/controller battery

How close was your Mavic to the home point when you hit the RTH button?

If the Mavic 2 is close to your Homepoint then it will not ascend to the RTH altitude before returning home. I believe that one needs to be at least 30 meters or more away from the Home Point for RTH to ascend first to the selected RTH altitude and then descend to the Home Point. I could be off a bit on the 30 meters statement though.

Thanks for the replies, yes it was close by (perhaps less than 10 metres) as I was just testing the function, but it seemed like it was just going to land where it was without making any attempt to return the short distance to home point

.........is that normal behaviour for the M2?

Reactions: Inspirephil
Check the latest pdf manual found in the DJI website as the RTH behavior is clearly explained.

Smart RTH, Low Battery RTH, and Failsafe RTH all follow the RTH procedure:

1. The aircraft adjusts its orientation.

2. a. If the aircraft is further than 20 m from the Home Point when the RTH procedure begins, it
ascends to the pre-set RTH altitude and then flies to the Home Point at a speed of 12 m/s. If the
current altitude is higher than the RTH altitude, the aircraft flies to the Home Point at the current
altitude. Forward and Backward vision systems are enabled.

b. If the aircraft is between 5 m and 20 m from the Home Point when the RTH procedure begins:

i. If the RTH at Current Altitude option is enabled the aircraft flies to the Home Point at the current
altitude, unless the current altitude is less than 2 m, in which case the aircraft ascends to 2 m
and then flies to the Home Point at a speed of 3 m/s.

ii. If the RTH at Current Altitude option is disabled, the aircraft lands immediately.

c. If the aircraft is less than 5 m from the Home Point when the RTH procedure begins, it lands
immediately.

3. After reaching the Home Point, the aircraft lands and the motors stop
Twice today my Mavic 2 descended when I hit the RTH button, both times it was initiated with the drone about 3 metres from ground so I had to act quick to stop it.
Any ideas what is going on?
my RTH was set at 50 metres I am on latest firmware on drone/controller battery

Check the latest pdf manual found in the DJI website as the RTH behavior is clearly explained.

Smart RTH, Low Battery RTH, and Failsafe RTH all follow the RTH procedure:

1. The aircraft adjusts its orientation.

2. a. If the aircraft is further than 20 m from the Home Point when the RTH procedure begins, it
ascends to the pre-set RTH altitude and then flies to the Home Point at a speed of 12 m/s. If the
current altitude is higher than the RTH altitude, the aircraft flies to the Home Point at the current
altitude. Forward and Backward vision systems are enabled.

b. If the aircraft is between 5 m and 20 m from the Home Point when the RTH procedure begins:

i. If the RTH at Current Altitude option is enabled the aircraft flies to the Home Point at the current
altitude, unless the current altitude is less than 2 m, in which case the aircraft ascends to 2 m
and then flies to the Home Point at a speed of 3 m/s.

ii. If the RTH at Current Altitude option is disabled, the aircraft lands immediately.

c. If the aircraft is less than 5 m from the Home Point when the RTH procedure begins, it lands
immediately.

3. After reaching the Home Point, the aircraft lands and the motors stop
Thanks for clearing that up! I have a hard time remembering everything that I’ve read in the manual sometimes. Seeing it here in the forum helps imprint it in my mind better.

Reactions: WAXMAN
No problem. Guess what?
I have not flew a single day yet with my Mavic 2 Zoom but just finished reading the manual a few times when I saw this question.
Where are all here to help each other right?
Thanks for clearing that up! I have a hard time remembering everything that I’ve read in the manual sometimes. Seeing it here in the forum helps imprint it in my mind better.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sistersister300