DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Did something stupid -- got away with it!

The reason why you have to press once then press and hold to turn on the transmitter and drone is so you can see the battery status before you start either one. Whenever I take a battery out before I put it in I always check the status.
I'm used to doing this because I also fly RC planes and without telemetry built into the controller, its hard to tell whether or not your battery was charged

Reactions: Motorcycle Rider
So I did my first flights a couple nights ago and two more yesterday so I planned to use two batteries tonight so I charged them using the strip for the first time. One of the batteries was nearly charged so it topped of first and then the second battery, which was at about 25%, charged up next. So I put my batteries in the bag and went out to fly.

The first flight was fine and lasted about 23 minutes and then ... the screw up. I landed and replaced the battery with what I thought was the other charged battery and took off getting about 1km away when the low battery warning came on -- WTF. So, I quickly turn around and land after a total flight of just about 4 minutes. Turns out the battery I put in was the third battery that had been used yesterday and the flight began with less than 40% charge. I think I was just under 20% when I landed. I must be more careful with batteries in the future...

Brian
It happens. I label my batteries with numbers or letters and always try to use them in the same sequence so the get the same usage. Running out of fuel on a night flight adds to the tension I bet!

Reactions: Tony McDrone
So I did my first flights a couple nights ago and two more yesterday so I planned to use two batteries tonight so I charged them using the strip for the first time. One of the batteries was nearly charged so it topped of first and then the second battery, which was at about 25%, charged up next. So I put my batteries in the bag and went out to fly.

The first flight was fine and lasted about 23 minutes and then ... the screw up. I landed and replaced the battery with what I thought was the other charged battery and took off getting about 1km away when the low battery warning came on -- WTF. So, I quickly turn around and land after a total flight of just about 4 minutes. Turns out the battery I put in was the third battery that had been used yesterday and the flight began with less than 40% charge. I think I was just under 20% when I landed. I must be more careful with batteries in the future...

Brian

Ouch. Easy mistake to make. Make it your habit to push the button and see how many LEDs come on before turning on the drone.

The reason why you have to press once then press and hold to turn on the transmitter and drone is so you can see the battery status before you start either one. Whenever I take a battery out before I put it in I always check the status.
I'm used to doing this because I also fly RC planes and without telemetry built into the controller, its hard to tell whether or not your battery was charged

hehe I used to use an "Expanded Scale Voltmeter" to check the flight battery before starting my glo engine planes. Oh, right, those are called "NITRO" now. Digital meters in those days cost hundreds of dollars.

Uh oh.. why charge cycles?? Are they limited?
Well, yes li-on batteries do have a finite number of charge cycles, although I don't know how many these have. (I think I read 200)
I just thought this would be the easiest way to make sure I'm using all the batteries evenly.

Reactions: A.O.
Uh oh.. why charge cycles?? Are they limited?

They'll likely last longer than you're interested in flying them. Drone technology changes pretty fast.

Well I guess the DJI Smart Controller blows that theory out the window. :p Actually I have always heard it was a safety protocol in for travel and shipping and for use. If they get jostled in travel or picked up wrong it less likely to happen so quick that the tap and touch hold will occur to turn on with that sequence....who really knows? Other than DJI.

Really? The batteries maintain that count themselves and you can see it in the app.
A lot faster to look at the side of the battery than to power up the MA2, the controller, and look in the app. It's just a quick check to make sure I'm rotating through all the batteries.

Reactions: MA2 317
I never charge mine past40-60% if I’m not going to fly with in 6-12 hours if so... I just put a number on each battery on the inferior side (when installed) to help me keep them rotating in order for use.

I never charge mine past40-60% if I’m not going to fly with in 6-12 hours if so... I just put a number on each battery on the inferior side (when installed) to help me keep them rotating in order for use.

Yeah, I try to avoid having the battery at full charge for very long, ideally just a few hours, and when not in use I discharge or charge to about 50%. When on a trip lasting several days where I expect to fly every day I charge them top about 80% the night before then charge the first batteries to be used that day while driving up to full charge. Then, when I head to a second location I'll charge the batteries I expect to use there the rest of the way. It just not a good idea to keep the batteries fully charged and thankfully DJI incorporates a self discharge mode to bring them down to safer levels -- safer in terms of battery lifespan not fires...

Brian

Please excuse the noob question as I await delivery of my Mini 2 (first drone). I have read recommendations that Li-Po batteries be charged and stored in explosion-proof and fireproof bags. Since the M2 has "intelligent batteries," is the bag still recommended/required, and if so, during charging, storage, or both?

Thanks.

You don't need the bags. The intelligent batteries have several safeguards in place. It wouldn't be a bad idea, but still not needed to use those bags when boarding a plane with them.

I notice the Air 2 batteries drain when the drone and RC is completely off.

I had a 100% charged battery, sat in the Air 2 for a few days with it never being turned on. Went to fly it yesterday and it powered on with 67%. WTF DJI?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joe Duhr