DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

different temperature of motors

rusm

Reactions
I just found that my two front motors noticeably more hot than rear two. I did some experiments, for example, quick takeoff and descent in one point, then repeat with Mavic rotated 180 degrees to eliminate wind effects - the same results.

Mavic flew about 100 hours, all was OK. I'm going to long and far trip, so how I can test motors? May be some symptoms showing that is time for order spare parts?

Buy a temp gauge and see what the exact temps of the motors cans and inside windings are. If lower than 120° then youre ok. If 140° or higher, something is wrong with them. Any crashes?

Sure that it below 50 celsius (120 F) on outside body, no any crashes.
Just noticeable difference between front and rear motors.

Sure that it below 50 celsius (120 F) on outside body, no any crashes.
Just noticeable difference between front and rear motors.

If you touch the motor with your finger will it burn you? If you dont have a temperature gauge, that is a good way to tell. Lick you finger first so if it is too hot, then you wont get burned.

On every airplane, jet, car, and machinery, there are no 2 cylinders, motors or engines that run exactly the same. There will always be a variance, even if it very slight. As long as they are within the specs of the manufacturer, theres nothing to worry about.

Reactions: orgpaya
If you touch the motor with your finger will it burn you?
By fingers they feel as "hot", not burn, therefore I assumed that they around 50C.

But, my question is: why two front motors always have higher (about 5 degrees) temperature than rear motors? and it does not depend of the wind. Is it normal for Mavic or I have to worry?

If you want to feel better, you can buy a temperature gauge on Amazon. They are not expensive.
OK, I'll do, thank you.
Temperature higher 140f/60c inside motors (on windings) just after intensive flight, indicate motor troubles and motor replacement necessity, correct?

OK, I'll do, thank you.
Temperature higher 140f/60c inside motors (on windings) just after intensive flight, indicate motor troubles and motor replacement necessity, correct?

Yes 140°f (60°c) is on the higher end of the range, but it depends on how long it was flying at that temperature. Most Mavics fly at 120°f (49°c). I would never exceed 160°f (71°c). If it lands at that temperature, it will be very warm to the touch.

Last edited:
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BHU