DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Direction arrow on control map doesn't point to direction Mavic PP is headed

Spidrluvr

Reactions
When compass is calibrated the arrow on the control face is never facing the direction the Mavic PP is pointed. Can anyone explain why that is?

Reactions: SkipperBill
on the radar like screen in the small picture on your device you will see a small white marker which shows magnetic north, what i do to check the drones compass before take off is to mark magnetic north on the take off mat using a small compass ,then i place the mav on the mat pointing to the north arrow if i then check the app radar like screen i can see that the mav is pointing to magnetic north if is not then i know that there is some magnetic interference present when i use the hand held compass i start it at chest height find north and then lower it down to the mat if it moves as it nears the ground then i know there is metal or something in the ground affecting it and i then try a different spot.till i am happy, in the app screen there is a icon that shows the compass and it can be locked or unlocked ,you will find that when you unlock it ,the arrow you are talking about will move in relation to the mavs direction but in my experience this has no effect on how it flies and once air born it is always facing the direction i am flying.sorry to be so long winded

Reactions: WAXMAN and Roy A
I have the same problem as Spidrluvr The arrow moves round with the drone but doesn't line up with the direction of flight, would be handy if I get disorientated and the arrow showed the correct direction of the drone.

on the radar like screen in the small picture on your device you will see a small white marker which shows magnetic north, what i do to check the drones compass before take off is to mark magnetic north on the take off mat using a small compass ,then i place the mav on the mat pointing to the north arrow if i then check the app radar like screen i can see that the mav is pointing to magnetic north if is not then i know that there is some magnetic interference present when i use the hand held compass i start it at chest height find north and then lower it down to the mat if it moves as it nears the ground then i know there is metal or something in the ground affecting it and i then try a different spot.till i am happy, in the app screen there is a icon that shows the compass and it can be locked or unlocked ,you will find that when you unlock it ,the arrow you are talking about will move in relation to the mavs direction but in my experience this has no effect on how it flies and once air born it is always facing the direction i am flying.sorry to be so long winded

Thank you for the details. Not long winded for me. I'm one who needs step by step instructions like you gave for me to learn and understand. Very little comes naturally to me anymore. I'll try what you do and see how that helps me.
Thank you!

Long winded is fine, but no punctuation makes it tough to read. “Period” key broken?

Reactions: Scubadiver1944
Long winded is fine, but no punctuation makes it tough to read. “Period” key broken?
I hope "old man mavic" doesn't take it to heart. I think most of us get his drift notwithstanding. I'm 75 myself but there's sure some whacky punctuation and spelling on this forum, particularly on the other side of the pond not to mention elsewhere, especially from those for whom English isn't their first language. But neither we Brits nor Yanks should complain. How many of us can speak, never mind spell a foreign language? Precious few I bet!

Reactions: old man mavic
I hope "old man mavic" doesn't take it to heart. I think most of us get his drift notwithstanding. I'm 75 myself but there's sure some whacky punctuation and spelling on this forum, particularly on the other side of the pond not to mention elsewhere, especially from those for whom English isn't their first language. But neither we Brits nor Yanks should complain. How many of us can speak, never mind spell a foreign language? Precious few I bet!
no worries @Scubadiver1944 my style of post has been commented on before,i dont mind in the slightest,once i get going on something i just have to get it down as quick as possible,
just my way of doing it ,and as someone once commented before it takes up less room per post ,we all have different thoughts on how we post ,it is good we are not all the same

no worries @Scubadiver1944 my style of post has been commented on before,i dont mind in the slightest,once i get going on something i just have to get it down as quick as possible,
just my way of doing it ,and as someone once commented before it takes up less room per post ,we all have different thoughts on how we post ,it is good we are not all the same
Great stuff! Couldn't agree more!

i am from your neck of the woods myself i was born in Loughborough where are you
South Leicester (Saffron Lane area) near Wigston. My late father hailed from Briton Ferry, near Neath I believe, though I've never been there. Am just looking on the web for destinations to go scuba diving and fly my UAV at the same time! At my age ? Think I'm nuts?

South Leicester (Saffron Lane area) near Wigston. My late father hailed from Briton Ferry, near Neath I believe, though I've never been there. Am just looking on the web for destinations to go scuba diving and fly my UAV at the same time! At my age ? Think I'm nuts?
i know the area you are on about about 65 miles from me, just make sure you dont scuba and fly at the same time drones dont like getting wet( joke) what age, we can still show those youngsters a thing or to i get people who cant believe i fly a drone at my age, and i always say to them why not its a great hobby to get into ,helps keep you young and your mind active

Reactions: Scubadiver1944
i know the area you are on about about 65 miles from me, just make sure you dont scuba and fly at the same time drones dont like getting wet( joke) what age, we can still show those youngsters a thing or to i get people who cant believe i fly a drone at my age, and i always say to them why not its a great hobby to get into ,helps keep you young and your mind active
Spot on! Been diving since 1974 so I know a thing or two. It gets worse, I've signed up to go shark diving with Tiger sharks & Great Hammerheads in the Bahamas in January. Want to take my UAV to video the beautiful beaches & sharks from above as well as in the water itself, but Bahamas want 50% value of the drone as a deposit left with their Customs to prevent selling it to locals because it's a luxury item with high import duty. They must think I'm mad, I want to fly it, not sell it! (I'll have more to say on this matter on the forum at a later date-keep your eyes peeled!)

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
phoenix_00002