DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Disable auto-landing/ ground sensor feature?

rschmid

Reactions
I wanted to use my Mavic Mini to make a video of the crawl space under my house. Now, I know I'm asking a lot from the aircraft and a novice pilot but I'm just one of those people who has to try it for myself.

Yes, I know I'm dealing with ground effect and, in a tightly enclosed space that's likely to aggravated by a solid ceiling. I know there is no minimum altitude setting in the software. However, is it possible to disable the automatic landing or ground sensor? If I get too close to the ground, the drone simply lands. I know, it's probably saving me from myself, but I just can't help myself.

I wanted to use my Mavic Mini to make a video of the crawl space under my house. Now, I know I'm asking a lot from the aircraft and a novice pilot but I'm just one of those people who has to try it for myself.

Yes, I know I'm dealing with ground effect and, in a tightly enclosed space that's likely to aggravated by a solid ceiling. I know there is no minimum altitude setting in the software. However, is it possible to disable the automatic landing or ground sensor? If I get too close to the ground, the drone simply lands. I know, it's probably saving me from myself, but I just can't help myself.
I personally doubt it but if the drone does land underneath your house, you're going to have to go in and get it because when you select to take off, it flies up to 4m I believe which I suspect is higher than the crawl space. So, before flying it in, I'd suggest making sure you can go in and retrieve it.

I'd highly suggest a nonGPS model for this type of work. For under $75 you can get a "Mall Grade" unit that you can fly under there (no flight stability though).

Reactions: BSauce955
I'd highly suggest a nonGPS model for this type of work. For under $75 you can get a "Mall Grade" unit that you can fly under there (no flight stability though).
I'm assuming the reason he wanted to use the Mavic Mini 2 is for the semi-good video quality.

I'm assuming the reason he wanted to use the Mavic Mini 2 is for the semi-good video quality.
I don't doubt that but way to many things to go wrong in a confined space and cause an incident. Keep in mind he'll also want to disable RTH . . .

Buy a cheap 4x4 truck. Attach a cheap GoPro knock off and go have fun under ground and above ground. Most action cameras these days have really good video and can be connected to a App to show video feed.
Works great for chasing unwanted cats and dogs from your yard also ;)

Buy a cheap 4x4 truck. Attach a cheap GoPro knock off and go have fun under ground and above ground. Most action cameras these days have really good video and can be connected to a App to show video feed.
Works great for chasing unwanted cats and dogs from your yard also ;)
Tried that. Couldn't get past certain obstacles.

With your Mini, to disable the Proximity/Landing Sensor you can just tape over the two outside bottom sensors and leave the smaller optical positioning sensor clear. If you also cover up the optical sensor, you will be flying in a sort of ATTI mode where the Mini will react differently and not auto brake when you release the sticks to center. The AC will continue to fly/drift in the direction it's going until it coasts to a stop or you give it some opposite stick. Fun to test in a wide open area or with props guards on.

Another option is you can use a 3rd party app like Litchi with your Mini and shut off the bottom proximity sensors. WARNING: Just remember to turn them back on (if you want them back on) otherwise Landing protection will stay off even when you go back to using DJI Fly. There's no option in FLY to turn them back on (or off), the Mini remembers the setting set in Litchi and will fly with the sensors off no matter what app you're using to fly with.

With taped sensors or with the Litchi option, to takeoff and lift to any height (not 4 meters as someone previously incorrectly said), use both FC sticks to start the motors (down and in) and throttle slowly up to take off and hover at whatever height you want. 5", 12" whatever. You are right about ground effects at low heights but moving forward eliminates some of them. Increased height above 12" or so can get rid of most. When landing, bring it down slowly and keep holding the left stick down and the motors will stop.

With Litchi when you turn the landing proximity sensor off, the bottom positioning sensor is still active but you may find depending on the lighting conditions in your crawl space and the floor detail and/or GPS or lack of, you may have positioning problems. It may feel like you are going into and out ATTI mode so just be ready to correct your position.

Test it out first in an open area and again, prop guards are a must for your crawl space. Let us know your experience if you try it.

Wow! Thank you for this! I think you just convinced me not to risk it. 😂 The possibility of losing my auto brake is daunting. But also, you've given me a great tip for practicing.

You can disable it with software like DH that gives you access to extra parameters
g_config.flying_limit.avoid_ground_and_smart_landing_enable = 0

Another option is you can use a 3rd party app like Litchi with your Mini and shut off the bottom proximity sensors. WARNING: Just remember to turn them back on (if you want them back on) otherwise Landing protection will stay off even when you go back to using DJI Fly. There's no option in FLY to turn them back on (or off), the Mini remembers the setting set in Litchi and will fly with the sensors off no matter what app you're using to fly with.
Cool! I didn't know that.

If anybody tries flying in such cramped indoor spaces, please use prop-guards.
Maybe keep the gimbal protector over the camera if you are able to film like that?

You can disable it with software like DH that gives you access to extra parameters
g_config.flying_limit.avoid_ground_and_smart_landing_enable = 0
Does this just let you fly as low as you wish, but it will still land safely if it gets to 0 altitude?
Is there a way to keep the use of the bottom IR/optical if you set it like that?

It always scared me how the auto-land takes over all control about a foot before it reaches the floor.
If it let you fly as low as you wish, but just drops all the way if you lower it to exactly 0 altitude, that would make it a lot safer/easier to fly (outside as well.)

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
InspectorTom