DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Disable forced landing

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm pretty sure the original mavic pro did not have forced landing,
From p14 of the Mavic Pro manual
The aircraft will land automatically if the current battery level can only support the aircraft long enough
to descend from its current altitude.
The user can still use the remote controller to alter the aircraft’s orientation during the landing process.

Reactions: Mynah
Hi all,

In mini 3 pro there was a parameter in DH to disable forced landing:

bat_enable_smart_bat_landing_protect
to 0

Any idea how to disable forced landing in mini 4 pro?

Thanks
Alex
As far as I know forced landing MODE cannot be disabled on a Mini 4 Pro. After studying the two videos below I realized it would not be necessary. Forced landing can be overridden by the operator but forced landing MODE will still be in effect.
I cannot vouch for the legitimacy of these videos but they seem unedited. Scroll to the ends of videos to save yourself time.
(English language controller)
(Not in English)

Flying till you don't have enough battery to get home is different than initiating a forced landing when you do have enough battery to get home. You seem to want to change the subject.

Nope, same subject. The issue is what's enough. Some folks seem to think that landing with a fully depleted battery is be just fine. No margin for error whatsoever.

Depleting the battery also reduces the capacity of the battery, shortening future flights.

Nope, same subject. The issue is what's enough. Some folks seem to think that landing with a fully depleted battery is be just fine. No margin for error whatsoever.

Depleting the battery also reduces the capacity of the battery, shortening future flights.
It could even be worse than that, the battery might start a fire

Why on earth do people on this forum judge each other so much? Being able to choose for yourself in different circumstances is great! Over area where there might be people or property, forced land. Over clear water or wilderness, run until empty if drone recovery isn’t possible. Even if you plan correctly, things can go wrong. Wind suddenly picks up, battery has an issue, human error, heck, you’re in Ukraine have to move from your home point unexpectedly and “going to get” the drone means risking life, and it might end up in enemy hands - run it until it can’t run no more! Let’s stop deciding about enforcing “rules” on others and insisting they explain themselves, and just help if we can!
This is precisely my point.
I do not want to discuss "why I am going this" but rather how to do it.

Reactions: Phantomrain.org
So you want to know how to avoid it before a forced landing happens in a bad spot?

Hi all,

In mini 3 pro there was a parameter in DH to disable forced landing:

bat_enable_smart_bat_landing_protect
to 0

Any idea how to disable forced landing in mini 4 pro?

Thanks
Alex
hi Alex,

In a sense, it can be "disabled".

The "force landing" procedure is kind of safety feature..... to prevent the drone falling out of the sky when the battery is completely out (not just 0% in the meter, voltage so low that the motor can't work anymore). And there is another safety feature in place that could override the force landing: the Obstacle Avoidance (OA). If it senses something below it and consider the terrain not suitable for landing, it would hover until the battery is completely out and then it drops.

Both are very essential to a safe flight. I don't see why DJI would allow the user to change the setting.

Software-wise, I think it takes high level modification of the Apps and firmware. It would be like disabling the ABS in braking system for a car. It 's possible for skilled machnics, but not by regular driver. I assume you and I both unable to do this, otherwise, you won't ask about it in the forum.

Alternatively, you may be able to "trick" it. You can hang a small stick under the drone (or anything else), best if it can swing a little (otherwise the OA will disregard it). When it "force land", it would detect "obstacle" below and stop the descend. I tried it indoor and the drone hover but did not land, even when the battery drop to 0%. I then manually land the drone. I must add that the OA is a bit tempered so sometimes it re-cognize things, and sometimes it doesnt.

Of course, it would cause risk. For instance, the "obstacle" would de-stable the flight and the drone would be prone to hook to tree branches (you mentioned flying over mountain). Certainly, the weight of the "obstacle" would drain up the battery faster, so it may just shorten your flight time.

Certainly not recommended this method to regular pilot but if you are sure what you are doing, take it at your own risk.

May be if you can tell us more about the purpose / circumstantial of your flight, others can help you better.

hi Alex,

In a sense, it can be "disabled".

The "force landing" procedure is kind of safety feature..... to prevent the drone falling out of the sky when the battery is completely out (not just 0% in the meter, voltage so low that the motor can't work anymore). And there is another safety feature in place that could override the force landing: the Obstacle Avoidance (OA). If it senses something below it and consider the terrain not suitable for landing, it would hover until the battery is completely out and then it drops.

Both are very essential to a safe flight. I don't see why DJI would allow the user to change the setting.

Software-wise, I think it takes high level modification of the Apps and firmware. It would be like disabling the ABS in braking system for a car. It 's possible for skilled machnics, but not by regular driver. I assume you and I both unable to do this, otherwise, you won't ask about it in the forum.

Alternatively, you may be able to "trick" it. You can hang a small stick under the drone (or anything else), best if it can swing a little (otherwise the OA will disregard it). When it "force land", it would detect "obstacle" below and stop the descend. I tried it indoor and the drone hover but did not land, even when the battery drop to 0%. I then manually land the drone. I must add that the OA is a bit tempered so sometimes it re-cognize things, and sometimes it doesnt.

Of course, it would cause risk. For instance, the "obstacle" would de-stable the flight and the drone would be prone to hook to tree branches (you mentioned flying over mountain). Certainly, the weight of the "obstacle" would drain up the battery faster, so it may just shorten your flight time.

Certainly not recommended this method to regular pilot but if you are sure what you are doing, take it at your own risk.

May be if you can tell us more about the purpose / circumstantial of your flight, others can help you better.
DJI will not do it and I am not expecting from DJI to do it.
Mini 3 Pro has the option to disable it in the engineering menu. I hope mini 4 pro will have it too.
And this is not a high level modification at all.

So you are suggesting to close the sensor to trick the system not to land? I'll try that - thank you.
Circumstances of such flight are these. I am flying far in the mountain or over water. I cannot land and change the battery and I must squeeze every percentage point from the battery. I did several such flight over 10km with mini 3 pro with a custom made 6300mAh battery and it works, but it is an advanced option and the pilot must understand the risks.

Ok. At least that's the answer. It is possible to disable forced lading in mini 3 pro and I am hoping it would be possible to do it in mini 4 pro. The point is that this is an advanced option and should be used very carefully.

At this stage there is a "fix" keeping stick "going up" up to keep the drone at the same altitude when a forced landing has been activated.
I fly over water probably 95% of the time.when the battery meter says 25 to 30% I bring it in and land.
Then you will never have to come back on here and have to ask, what do I do to over ride a forced landing.
If you run your battery down that low,of course you are are taking risks as mentioned above,slowly destroying your battery
and loosing a drone.
So accept the comments and replies,and do not run your battery down that low.We all want to get as much flying time
out of our drones as we can,but not at the risk of loosing a costly drone because of a low battery issue.
So consider this as another lecture,and for good reason.

Reactions: MS Coast
I fly over water probably 95% of the time.when the battery meter says 25 to 30% I bring it in and land.
Then you will never have to come back on here and have to ask, what do I do to over ride a forced landing.
If you run your battery down that low,of course you are are taking risks as mentioned above,slowly destroying your battery
and loosing a drone.
So accept the comments and replies,and do not run your battery down that low.We all want to get as much flying time
out of our drones as we can,but not at the risk of loosing a costly drone because of a low battery issue.
So consider this as another lecture,and for good reason.

Again, I am repeating myself. Your flying style is different to mine.
I have forced landing disabled in my mini 3 pro and believe it or not it is still here with me.
You are slowly destroying your battery if you keep it fully charged too. Life is lethal and we all are going to die eventually.

And please no more lectures. I am looking for technical solution here but people people just throw their opinions as if I was looking for them. Apologies for being rude, but what you wrote me is not what I am asking for. I am not asking for judgement. Only technical solution. That's it.

• Haha
Reactions: Phantomrain.org
Again, I am repeating myself. Your flying style is different to mine.
I have forced landing disabled in my mini 3 pro and believe it or not it is still here with me.
You are slowly destroying your battery if you keep it fully charged too. Life is lethal and we all are going to die eventually.

And please no more lectures. I am looking for technical solution here but people people just throw their opinions as if I was looking for them. Apologies for being rude, but what you wrote me is not what I am asking for. I am not asking for judgement. Only technical solution. That's it.
Only one comment in regards to slowly destroying your battery if you keep it fully charged.
1. Charged the batteries the day or night before you plan to fly.
2. The biggie,even if you charge up the batteries full,and do not fly the self discharge feature
will drop the charge down to a safe level while in storage after a few days to prevent any
long term damage. but you should know about this by now.
All done

Reactions: MS Coast
Only one comment in regards to slowly destroying your battery if you keep it fully charged.
1. Charged the batteries the day or night before you plan to fly.
2. The biggie,even if you charge up the batteries full,and do not fly the self discharge feature
will drop the charge down to a safe level while in storage after a few days to prevent any
long term damage. but you should know about this by now.
All done

Well, I typically charge batteries just before flying. They are kept at 60%. If I have a short flight I do not charge them.
Self-discharge feature will not kick in until about 9 days.
Before I could re-program the batteries to self-discharge after 24h but right now it does not work for mini 4 pro.

Well, I typically charge batteries just before flying. They are kept at 60%. If I have a short flight I do not charge them.
Self-discharge feature will not kick in until about 9 days.
Before I could re-program the batteries to self-discharge after 24h but right now it does not work for mini 4 pro.
Mini 3 Pro battery self discharges to 96% after 1 day then 60% after 9 days idle.
Mini 4 Pro battery self discharges to 96% after 3 days then 60% after 9 days idle.

And please no more lectures. I am looking for technical solution here but people people just throw their opinions as if I was looking for them. Apologies for being rude, but what you wrote me is not what I am asking for.

You might be more comfortable hiring a paid consultant rather than relying on a free public discussion forum.

It's been pointed out to you that there is no "technical solution", but you don't want to hear that.
You know how your drone will respond to a low battery situation.
How you choose to respond to it is your problem.

You might be more comfortable hiring a paid consultant rather than relying on a free public discussion forum.
Actually one can obtain a lot of info on a free public forum.
On this forum there is a lot of moaning and lecturing in addition to a couple of useful tips.

You are serious? Battery catching fire for going down to 3.2V????
You changed the laws of physics my friend
Lithium batteries have a history, everything from electronic cigarettes catching fire or exploding in someones pocket to Teslas doing similar.
I haven't had any battery catch fire or explode yet but I have had a couple that expanded for whatever reason.
Have you brought this up on DJIs forum? I wouldnt mind having the option of alternative safe landing spots set as waypoints and have the drone attempt to make it there instead of landing in a 60ft high tree

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vanillasky