DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Dispelling some myths for clarity

Bit of a stuff'tshirt here huh? Even though I h Ave 10s of thousands of $ worth on still photo equipment I couldn't plunk down $6K+ on my first real suav. So you got one just so you could say you did and run it down for all else? Sad there are so many with more money than heart.

Why don't you buy a "real" aerial imaging platform" and share that with us
Why don't you get a REAL pilot certificate and fly a REAL airplane? The Garmin nav unit in my airplane cost more than all your photo equipment combined.
Sad there are so many who think flying a drone makes them an expert in multiple fields of expertise and gives them the right to be condescending snobs.

You ought to brush up on bit rates and pixel sub sampling. I've watched and shot and studied a lot of 4K video, compressed and raw for years. I've seen a lot of YouTube 4K too. You don't know what you're talking about. Try not to get butt-hurt and get off this thread.
The last thing in the world this community needs is another condescending ******* who thinks $1,000 and a pair of joysticks makes them an expert in all fields.

Last edited by a moderator:
The last thing in the world this community needs is another condescending jackass who thinks $1,000 and a pair of joysticks makes them an expert in all fields.
In half the posts I can remember reading of yours, you're being insulting and condescending to other forum members about drone flyers not being "real pilots," among other things.

Last edited:
It depends...
Theorically it's correct, but practically speaking, the difference is notable only with pro devices.
The broadcasters, even on satellites, do compress so much, to save bandwidth and the home TV sets do not reproduce the footage materials "as is", but they process it a lot, scrambling colors and smoothness. (god sake, let's say nothing about the colors reproduction)
A daylight 4k mavic video @30fps, with some post processing, subjectively, do appear even better than demonstrative satellite 4K channels (SES, Eutelsat) on an high end, large home TV set.
On the other hand, high quality 4K shooted video (big sensor, high frame rate) doesn't show it's superiority if watched (even) on a high end home 4K TV.
Things changes in low light, where the tiny sensor of mavic, can't compete with larger ones.

Re shooting 4K - my opinion is that 50mbps is just too little amount of data to get usable 4K footage, perhaps it will look okay on small displays or when scaled to 1080, but on its own, it will fall apart on a big screen at native resolution. The only real advantage I see would be the ability to crop, track and compose.

If you're creative enough to produce footage people will watch they won't know that they're missing 2-bits! If you're not ... then your work is fruitless that nobody cares to watch. By now you're probably wondering why you made such a post? It's ok ... just get over yourself and learn from it and move on. I've said a lot of dumb things in my life too (just ask my wife). But personally I am trying to shoot everything in D-Cinelike so I can drop most of the color grading and save a ton of time. People will remember what's interesting ... not that the blue sky wasn't blue enough.

Reactions: Tomski and NetDoc
I would say the majority of people (like me) that buy the Mavic don't have a clue about most of what was said. I'm seeing very good video even tho I use HD 1920x1280 because I don't have a monitor/ TV that does 4K. So what is the point. You know a bunch of technical terms. Again I doubt that no more than 20% of the people using the Mavic really care about all that. Its a freakin' weekend hobby and my sons goat farm isn't something I need to see in 4K. Find a camera forum and complain there.
SL

I would say the majority of people (like me) that buy the Mavic don't have a clue about most of what was said.
Plus, they don't really care. Few really get published so demanding the highest video quality is their attempt to grab excellence. Content is more important, but bad footage can ruin great content. I do a lot of underwater videography, and while I get some compliments, I am astounded at the frequency and positivity of the compliments I have received about my drone footage. It's not just "gud enuf": it's excellent. FWIW, I bought the Mavic Pro so I can travel with it easily. Over the past year, I've spent two weeks in the Philippines, a week in Cayman Brac, a week in Roatan (Anthony's Key Resort), two weeks in California, a week in Mexico and all over the state of Florida. I needed small with great performance. The video specs are on par with what I produce underwater so it's perfect.

Reactions: Ewgrey
James, I'm with you. When flying this gizmo and also trying to position the camera, watch your composition, adjust exposure, checking focus, keeping track where you are, what you're flying towards and a dozen other things, there are times when you wish the footage was a bit brighter or sharper, and you're correct, there is not enough information to correct too far from what you captured. Fortunately, like this guys are referring to, generally the footage is pretty incredible coming from a $1000 drone. And I get that as well. I'm with you wishing there was just a bit more headroom to colour correct or correct for an exposure issue. But it is limited. That being said, you'll have a blast getting what you do get, you can tweak a little, and certainly learn a lot. It's a totally different experience than filming with any other set up, that's for sure.

Bottom line is, I enjoy the MP and with all the regulations surrounding this venture, I likely wouldn't spend much more on a drone unless I secured a solid paying gig that covered it. The Inspire 2 does have a far better camera for sure but at a much higher price point. Well worth it if you have the work, but the Mavic Pro is a great place to start and it's just plain fun to boot!

I was use the MP in British Columbia flying in over the ocean and then over some shoreline rocks, the variance in exposure was vast and trying to get a smooth transition was no fun. I notice the issue immediately but most people do not. Mastering smooth camera movements by dialling down the controls, planning your flight based on what you're shooting and using Neutral Density filters to adjust shutter speeds is all part of the game as well. You'll enjoy the curve!! Just watch where you're going!! Hahaha Cheers!

Joined, bagged the MP before he even got it, first posts not even a hi there, made sure everyone here knew how awful the camera is and that we are up our selves.
Then cancels his order and goes off somewhere else to probably bag them.
Wonder why he even bothered, seems more like a troll than anything else.
Like there ever was an "order".

In my opinion the purely technical factors that affect recorded video quality on Mavic video can be ranked as follows.

1. Overly aggressive video filtering leading to the infamous watercolor look
2. Restricted bitrate combined with sub-par encoding results for that bitrate by the real time encoder (inter frame flickering)
3. Sensor size

I've done a lot of work with various types of cameras. I want to bring what I've learned to this thread. Disclosure, I have not used the mavic pro..though I do have one on order.
First I'd like to address dlog-
The mavic pro is an 8 bit camera, typically you need at least a 10bit signal with a 4.2.2 color profile to get usable results from color correction and grading. An 8 bit signal just falls apart when you push it in post, simply stated, there is not enough information to begin with. So far, I've not seen great results from using dlog on any 8bit footage.
I also read a thread where the user stated that one needed to shoot on a gray, or muted day in order to get good results. It is my opinion that nothing could be further from the truth. If the information isn't there to begin with, then you cannot adequately add it in later. The reason dlog footage looks washed out, is because the signal is "flattened" so you have latitude for creative expression, the information is all there, it is just waiting to be brought out per your preferences.
Re shooting 4K - my opinion is that 50mbps is just too little amount of data to get usable 4K footage, perhaps it will look okay on small displays or when scaled to 1080, but on its own, it will fall apart on a big screen at native resolution. The only real advantage I see would be the ability to crop, track and compose.
What do you recommend?

Why would you buy a Mavic if you have issues with the quality of image from it?
Are you planning on making a block buster movie? It's a consumer drone designed to be easy to fly, and provide a decent quality stabilised video. Certainly good enough to use for online marketing. Pretty standard cinematic settings and ND filters for daylight shots. Crop sensor, doesn't require a licence. What more do you want? It's cheap, well built and any noob can use it. Get a 1000 and whack a 5d iv on it if you want something stronger. That's like shooting on a Red and buying a c100 then stating the c100 is not going to give you what you want.

Last edited:
Again, the bit rates are just too low and the way it processes the signal is too compromising to get a good enough image for professional work, that's why I've just cancelled my order, and took the advice of others in this thread and bought a better drone/camera combo...image quality is king in my business.
JamesM, unless you care to share details of your spiffy 10:4:4 combo, sorry to see you go after a week. Did you settle on the Red Epic camera with with 18 stops of dynamic range? Also, it would be great to see some of your prior land-based videos with your pro-gear - we welcome you to share your links!

It's not my opinion, it's the opinion of several professional videographers that I found while doing RESEARCH. Furthermore, I reviewed (on YouTube and downloading) several clips and made several comparisons, the only mode I saw that was half decent was the 2.7k mode, even that though was a very low bitrate and nothing looked acceptable when shooting slow-mo. Again, the bit rates are just too low and the way it processes the signal is too compromising to get a good enough image for professional work, that's why I've just cancelled my order, and took the advice of others in this thread and bought a better drone/camera combo. Now before you get your panties in a bunch try to realize that I'm not the one who manufactures or specs out the Mavic Pro, so if your upset about the shortcomings of its camera I suggest you bring it up with DJI. That said I think the Mavic Pro is the best flying machine I've seen in it's price range, but image quality is king in my business.

I think your arguments and opinions should have been after you received the MP and had first hand experience, rather than waste a lot of time. However, I do thank you in the fact that your responses on this blog brought a lot of good information from experienced MP users, and that information is very useful to a lot of users that are new or may not have known this information otherwise. I am glad that you were able to change your order before YOU would have been disappointed with an excellent UAV as I agree with the others, it has produced excellent videos and photographs for them as well as myself. Good Luck with your new purchase.

You can either be a pixel-peeper and fret over every perceived imperfection that the vast majority of people would never notice, or you can be a photographer who captures great images.

How is your footage going to be viewed? Are you shooting documentaries for theatrical release? Are you shooting for broadcast television? Or are you looking to capture images that will be watched on YouTube?

I've been a photographer for decades. The Mavic's footage in 4K looks great on my calibrated 55-inch 4K TV. And color correction and color grading work great, assuming you aren't trying to do anything too extreme.

If you want to spend several times more than the Mavic and get an Inspire or a Matrice big enough to lift a DSLR, feel free.
Agree played the 4K on my 65 inch TV looks great, you have move the cam slowly due the fps but anyway its fine for the camera used. Mavic is not a profi device you should keep in mind.

Wow, I shoot 1080p and love it. No dlog, this log or that log. I am no pro by any means at all. When I purchased my mp I knew what I was getting. One great stable drone. Two anyone looking at these posts keep in mind only your personal intentions. My one and only suggestion, do research before purchasing to decide if it is right for you. I knew for my intentions this was overkill, but being a former 250 class quad builder I saw this drone and said, holy crap I gotta get me one of these.

Reactions: JDR
I've done a lot of work with various types of cameras. I want to bring what I've learned to this thread. Disclosure, I have not used the mavic pro..though I do have one on order.
The mavic pro is an 8 bit camera, typically you need at least a 10bit signal with a 4.2.2 color profile to get usable results from color correction and grading. An 8 bit signal just falls apart when you push it in post, simply stated, there is not enough information to begin with. So far, I've not seen great results from using dlog on any 8bit footage.
I also read a thread where the user stated that one needed to shoot on a gray, or muted day in order to get good results. It is my opinion that nothing could be further from the truth. If the information isn't there to begin with, then you cannot adequately add it in later. The reason dlog footage looks washed out, is because the signal is "flattened" so you have latitude for creative expression, the information is all there, it is just waiting to be brought out per your preferences.
I don't
There are two youtube channels that I follow that produce incredibly high quality videos from the Mavic (especially considering the sensors underlying limitations). If you dont really see the quality of their footage from the underlying videos posted below simply click on one of their other uploads.

Here is their respective videos on the best settings for video on the Mavic

Note:
Resolution: They both recommend 4k. (I saw a blog by a drone pilot for DJI who says that DJI itself recommends 2.7k because of the higher bitrate.)
Color profile: One recommends D-Log another D-Cinelike. (My view is that D-Log is very difficult to color grade (and it needs grading) given the low underlying bit rate. Obviously these guys are much more skilled than me but if you dont have their skills better not go in that direction.)
Style: One goes for -1,-1,-1 and another +1, -1, 0. Note that neither goes near the flattest style settings (so if you go for d-log with -3 contrast - good luck). The reason one guy goes for a +1 sharpness settings is carefully explained in another video.
Don't know the technical details like you but what you are saying is what I'm finding with Mavic stills & footage. One question I have is - I keep reading advice on optimal filming early morning for perfect light. With close up stills, the case for that is obvious. With Mavic & its long distance shots/footage, I find the early morning effect dull, dark, and am unable to get the life back into it in post-production. Am I missing something on this?

Agreed. And in some cases you can get top quality footage. Really, the content is what matters most. I'm trying to make a judgment call in whether I should use the log settings or not, so far from what I've seen and read, combined with my observations with using log with other types of cameras, I haven't seen a good enough example to make me want to. My hope is that someone here will prove me wrong!
Here's a sorry footage suit inn d-log, amazing if you ask me.
It's not my opinion, it's the opinion of several professional videographers that I found while doing RESEARCH. Furthermore, I reviewed (on YouTube and downloading) several clips and made several comparisons, the only mode I saw that was half decent was the 2.7k mode, even that though was a very low bitrate and nothing looked acceptable when shooting slow-mo. Again, the bit rates are just too low and the way it processes the signal is too compromising to get a good enough image for professional work, that's why I've just cancelled my order, and took the advice of others in this thread and bought a better drone/camera combo. Now before you get your panties in a bunch try to realize that I'm not the one who manufactures or specs out the Mavic Pro, so if your upset about the shortcomings of its camera I suggest you bring it up with DJI. That said I think the Mavic Pro is the best flying machine I've seen in it's price range, but image quality is king in my business.

Yes, if you know how to spot differences between 8-bit and 10-bit signals, different codecs etc. then you will probably be disappointed with Mavic's dlog. I'd say most people on this forum can't do this so they get defensive when you criticise the use of dlog and 4k footage, as above. Try to see the Mavic as a great flying machine with a tiny crappy phone camera stuck on the front and you'll be right!

Agreed. And in some cases you can get top quality footage. Really, the content is what matters most. I'm trying to make a judgment call in whether I should use the log settings or not, so far from what I've seen and read, combined with my observations with using log with other types of cameras, I haven't seen a good enough example to make me want to. My hope is that someone here will prove me wrong!

So as an experienced photographer one would think you'd purchase a drone more in keeping with the photographic capability you expect
Considering the price and regulations around the use of these machines why are you purchasing a mavic pro

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kclarke2929