DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Display GPS choices? Noob question

Pjyarnall

Reactions
I have been using an iPhone 8+ or an iPad (w/ GPS chip) with my new M2P. I am considering an iPad Mini 4 as a dedicated display. (There are too many unsorted issues using a CS or the new Smart Controller and I have had no issues using either of my idevices thus far). My question is, what does the system use for a GPS source? The bird itself, the controller or the idevice? A wifi only Mini is cheaper than getting one that is GPS and data ready.
A second, tangentially related question... I have been connecting my iDevices using the micro USB port on the left side of the controller and the lightning port on the device. I see some folks connect displays to the USB port in the center back of the controller. My one attempt to use that connection was not successful. The manual suggests it is HDMI out. Any explanation greatly appreciated!

The Drone itself has the GPS receiver, as it uses it as its Guidance and stability system for position keeping. There are some applications where the Droine checks with the mobile device, if e.g. you want to update the 'Home Position' to be the current / new controller position - but generally, the drone looks after itself.
When you used the USB-A port on the underside of the controller - did you remove the short, flat DJI cable that is plugged into the side port on the controller? If you don't remove that cable, then you'll not get a connect on the USB-A lead.

Just add to the above. My Mavic Pro is usually in contact with > 10 GPS satellites . You do have to give it a few seconds after startup to find them and get contact. That also lets your bird mark it’s home location making RTH function best.

Thanks very much, FoxhallGH. I suspected as much re the GPS in the drone, though you bring up a point about changing home position. I have not done that to date, but can imagine it a useful choice in a field situation. That would suggest I should get the Mini with GPS / data even if I choose not to purchase a data plan for it. The GPS will still be functional. Do you agree?

Thanks very much, FoxhallGH. I suspected as much re the GPS in the drone, though you bring up a point about changing home position. I have not done that to date, but can imagine it a useful choice in a field situation. That would suggest I should get the Mini with GPS / data even if I choose not to purchase a data plan for it. The GPS will still be functional. Do you agree?
Don't be in too much of a hurry as you can use a phone/tablet with no Internet / GPS connection to run Go 4 ... There are a couple of proviso's in that you can't update maps in real-time, and you won't be able to do a change of home point. But you'll be able to do a lot to get used to how the drone works and flies - before you make a decision about what tablet you want to put on it. Note that you can also force the drone to update its home point to its current position - so you can fly it above the place you want to be your new Home, then use Go 4 to update it.

An alternative is to get an external bluetooth-linked GPS device to feed GPS data to the iPad. For example:

Bad Elf GPS Pro+

Reactions: fozzzy
More thanks to both of you. I built up an F550 some years ago and piecemealed a Sony RX100, gimbal et al, video back, etc. It was a huge project that I ended up doing very little with due to the bulk, weight, and complexity. I did fly it a fair amount learning the piloting skills. When I learned of the Mavic Pro 2 I jumped back in about three weeks ago. Flying it is dream and very easy, given my prior efforts with the F550. As I mentioned, I have been using my iphone and ipad. I like the larger screen of the ipad but hiking with a full photo backpack I want to keep the weight down and my ipad is a daily user. I am not keen on dragging it out in the wild subjecting it to extra wear and tear. The ipad mini would be a decent compromise for size and weight and I would dedicate it to the Mavic.

So, I am new to the Mavic system, GoFor app, etc., but pretty comfortable with the flying aspect. I want to simplify and streamline my hardware. Everytime I choose to use my iphone I have to remove it from its case, which is a struggle, and can lead to dropping it. There are some used mini's out there that are pretty reasonable cost wise, and at full brightness I have found my idevices to be bright enough in bright daylight. As you say, I can forgo the gps version for now. I located a decent Mini 2 (retina) for $120. Very good value, I think, and little risk.

Reactions: FoxhallGH
Thanks for the mini 4 advice, Rickw. No point in spending $ for something that won't work and I have no other use for.

There are only two features that can use the GPS in your phone/tablet.
These are Follow-me flight and resetting the homepoint to the current location of the controller - only useful if you are moving a considerable distance while flying - like on a moving boat or car (and still not necessary).
You don't need any data plan at all for flying.

There are only two features that can use the GPS in your phone/tablet.
These are Follow-me flight and resetting the homepoint to the current location of the controller - only useful if you are moving a considerable distance while flying - like on a moving boat or car (and still not necessary).
You don't need any data plan at all for flying.
Thanks for clarifying that, Meta4. I appreciate everyone's help!

An alternative is to get an external bluetooth-linked GPS device to feed GPS data to the iPad. For example:

Bad Elf GPS Pro+
I tried that, a "Dual" external bluetooth GPS and the "Return to Controller" still does not work. The controller still displays "weak GPS signal", although all my other gps related apps work. I still think it's a software problem with DJI as many people experience this fault.

I tried that, a "Dual" external bluetooth GPS and the "Return to Controller" still does not work. The controller still displays "weak GPS signal", although all my other gps related apps work. I still think it's a software problem with DJI as many people experience this fault.

You would need to take a look at the flight logs to see if the app is receiving GPS data. It should be seamless.

Most folks on here are here for the same reason, share information and learn.
The forum is a wealth of information, click on the search function (magnifying glass) at the top. and search for key words, not too many. Advanced gives you a lot of control over the search.

Enjoy

I’ve been using an iPad Mini 4 for a couple of years now. First with GO, now with GO4. Works great for all of my drones... P3S, P4A, M2P. And yeah, no data plan necessary.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Keith J