DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Distance of my Mavic Pro

I use Omni antennas so I barely see my bird 50000ft away

I live in West Virginia mountains here in the states. I am not getting but 1 mile at best I am thinking it’s the mountains and the foliage on the trees. Or at least I hope that’s the problem. In Flatter land and on the lake I am getting like 1.2 miles but I had my antennas pointing at a 45 deg instead of vertical and I think that was the problem while at the lake and there is foliage there as well. Any input on this open for information that could help me get range with my Mavic Pro. Thanks Stingray

I’m also in West Virginia on the border of Kentucky and lots of Mountains. The Atlas amplifier does good from Titan drones. Highly recommend it bro.

What kind of range you getting with it? And what kind exactly are you using?

I’m also in West Virginia on the border of Kentucky and lots of Mountains. The Atlas amplifier does good from Titan drones. Highly recommend it bro.

To clarify even further.....,

I am not convinced this is technically correct. I believe there may be asecond optimal reception zone behind the RC antenna. I am sure someone from the Drone Mods area who plays around with after market antennas can set me straight. Thunder have you torn open a a stock antenna to see if there is a directional component to them?

Aren't the stock antennas omnis? So in theory the same signal pattern and strength would radiate out in a 360 ring around each antenna perpendicular to its axis.
Just found this on the MaxxUav website.Could be useful.

Attachments

• antenna.PNG
    antenna.PNG
    30.4 KB · Views: 12
Cool I need to get me a antenna mod for sure.
Yeah, they definitely increase performance. I noticed a 2x gain when I installed mine. Please note(correct me if wrong) but you will void the warranty by modifying the remote. From DJI,
What This After-Sales Policy Does NOT Cover
This policy does not cover the following:
× Damage caused by unauthorized modification, disassembly, or shell opening not in accordance with official instructions or manuals.
× Damage caused by improper installation, incorrect use, or operation not in accordance with official instructions or manuals.
From the DJI forum
I don't think you can mess with the ufl cables in the controller and not violate the warranty. What you could do is buy a second controller, mod and link that one, and then if you later have an issue with your AC unrelated to the mod, relink the original controller and contact DJI.
From the PhantomPilots forum
With all of these posts I'm seeing regarding updates coinciding with crashes, I'm curious. I have a lot of money invested in my P3P setup. When you send a Phantom in for warranty repair do you send the controller with it? I am concerned because I installed a range extender on my original remote. Will that void my warranty? I did go out and buy a second remote that has never been tampered with. My bird has never been modified.
In response.
i sent my P4 in with my modded controller that i did the clean install kit with the dbs panel from Maxx.UAV.com i also bought those small black antennas to screw on when i just going short distances. ..i got my P4 back along with, my modded controller, and those black antennas (since i didn't want to lose my new DBS panel) and both original boxes...i had zero issues with DJI and could not be more happy with the service i received.
Sorry for the long post. Hope it helps.

Yeah, they definitely increase performance. I noticed a 2x gain when I installed mine. Please note(correct me if wrong) but you will void the warranty by modifying the remote. From DJI,
× Damage caused by unauthorized modification, disassembly, or shell opening not in accordance with official instructions or manuals.
× Damage caused by improper installation, incorrect use, or operation not in accordance with official instructions or manuals.
From the DJI forum
I don't think you can mess with the ufl cables in the controller and not violate the warranty. What you could do is buy a second controller, mod and link that one, and then if you later have an issue with your AC unrelated to the mod, relink the original controller and contact DJI.
With all of these posts I'm seeing regarding updates coinciding with crashes, I'm curious. I have a lot of money invested in my P3P setup. When you send a Phantom in for warranty repair do you send the controller with it? I am concerned because I installed a range extender on my original remote. Will that void my warranty? I did go out and buy a second remote that has never been tampered with. My bird has never been modified.
In response.
i sent my P4 in with my modded controller that i did the clean install kit with the dbs panel from Maxx.UAV.com i also bought those small black antennas to screw on when i just going short distances. ..i got my P4 back along with, my modded controller, and those black antennas (since i didn't want to lose my new DBS panel) and both original boxes...i had zero issues with DJI and could not be more happy with the service i received.
But yes DEFINITELY get the upgrade. if anything happens, ThunderDrones(from what i've seen) does a really good job on repairs.

Thanks for the info guys. Now I just need to make my mind up in who to go with. I want the mod to be compact but yet get good range 3+ miles if possible. Input?

I am only getting a mile before my controller says weak signal adjust antenna. This is happening on a lake with one or two fly over wooded area. Is this normal or something that I can fix by maybe changing frequency or something else? And I am in RC mode. Thanks for the help....
Lakes and large bodies of water can produce electromagnetic charge as well as EMF so they are not always the best place for a range test also make sure your antennas are in the correct position for ranged flight and if it is range you desire there are after market range extenders that work well when used correctly I have used parabolic extenders before and had really good results so you may try something like that just a suggestion

Thanks for the info guys. Now I just need to make my mind up in who to go with. I want the mod to be compact but yet get good range 3+ miles if possible. Input?
MaxxUAV has good antennas. Another one that is compact, powerful, and versatile is the drone-world.com maxxmod 3 antenna swappable range extension kit. Here are the website links:
DJI Mavic Pro / Platinum
Drone World

Last edited:
From the DJI forum
In response.

Hi,

I have gotten 2 new Mavic Pro's from DJI because of AC "going bananas and flying away by themselves", into either the sea or forest. Both times I had Titan Atlas mod but I only had to send flightlog+rc log files. 4-5 days and they have decided that I should get a new MP, when I asked what the error was I got no response

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kclarke2929