DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

DJI AIR 2S (FCC Posting)

Last edited:
Right now that is possible with the MA2 & Mini2, same controller for both birds. Not as easy to switch as with the Smart Controller, but it works. If it is OS2, then hopefully it will be added to the list of Smart Controller operated aircraft. If that becomes true, then it is likely that the same controller for all "Consumer" drones will be the norm, and maybe a switching mechanism within the fly app to switch between them could be in the future.
Looks like the controller question has been answered, same controller for Mini 2, MA2, and A2S and compatibility with SC. Also firmware updates to controller and existing aircraft (MA2 & Mini2) for switching between aircraft. Makes sense. Too bad the Air 2S camera has no aperture control and the aircraft firmware still has no native waypoint capability. We now know where DJI draws the line between "pro" and "consumer" drones. For $200 extra, is the camera sensor increase (without aperture settings!!!) and upward vision really worth it? I don't think so.

Reactions: GarthH
Looks like the controller question has been answered, same controller for Mini 2, MA2, and A2S and compatibility with SC. Also firmware updates to controller and existing aircraft (MA2 & Mini2) for switching between aircraft. Makes sense. Too bad the Air 2S camera has no aperture control and the aircraft firmware still has no native waypoint capability. We now know where DJI draws the line between "pro" and "consumer" drones. For $200 extra, is the camera sensor increase (without aperture settings!!!) and upward vision really worth it? I don't think so.

I think $200 for a 1” sensor is more than justifiable, even ignoring all the other improvements like the new sensors, much faster N mode, much faster descend/ascend, Galileo, Ocusync 3, master shots. Such quality jumps in the world of cameras are way more than $200. Aperture control would have been really nice, but:
1. Probably technically problematic on such a small drone as it would require an even bigger gimbal to accommodate the adjustment mechanism.
2. Would you pay another couple hundred for it? The M2P is still a massive $600 more than the A2S with its aperture control the only realistic advantage.

Reactions: ninja_geezer
I think $200 for a 1” sensor is more than justifiable, even ignoring all the other improvements like the new sensors, much faster N mode, much faster descend/ascend, Galileo, Ocusync 3, master shots. Such quality jumps in the world of cameras are way more than $200. Aperture control would have been really nice, but:
1. Probably technically problematic on such a small drone as it would require an even bigger gimbal to accommodate the adjustment mechanism.
2. Would you pay another couple hundred for it? The M2P is still a massive $600 more than the A2S with its aperture control the only realistic advantage.
M2Pro has autonomous features that DJI has now eliminated from the consumer line (including the A2S). Side Sensors and waypoint capabilities are now excluded from the consumer line, but an added value to M2, letting the pilot plot a course and focus on gimbal and yaw, which will not likely to ever appear on the consumer line. IMHO, Accusync 3 adds little to no value to the camera drones, and master shots will go unused in the professional world (but great for weekenders looking to impress). I think DJI did their homework as to where to draw the line between pro/consumer features. Just the fact that we are having this debate suggests that.

Bottom line is that those of us who have already invested in M2 have no incentive to invest in A2S, we just need to wait to see what the new pro models offer. After all, most of us no longer qualify for refresh programs (2 year max) and would like to push the reset button for new coverage in addition to the new camera features and autonomous features. I expect the new pro line introduction by middle of 3rd quarter (after the dust settles with the consumer line fleet launch and they finalize firmware feature sets for consumer drones based on competition and user feedback).

M2Pro has autonomous features that DJI has now eliminated from the consumer line (including the A2S). Side Sensors and waypoint capabilities are now excluded from the consumer line, but an added value to M2, letting the pilot plot a course and focus on gimbal and yaw, which will not likely to ever appear on the consumer line. IMHO, Accusync 3 adds little to no value to the camera drones, and master shots will go unused in the professional world (but great for weekenders looking to impress). I think DJI did their homework as to where to draw the line between pro/consumer features. Just the fact that we are having this debate suggests that.

Bottom line is that those of us who have already invested in M2 have no incentive to invest in A2S, we just need to wait to see what the new pro models offer. After all, most of us no longer qualify for refresh programs (2 year max) and would like to push the reset button for new coverage in addition to the new camera features and autonomous features. I expect the new pro line introduction by middle of 3rd quarter (after the dust settles with the consumer line fleet launch and they finalize firmware feature sets for consumer drones based on competition and user feedback).

You gotta admit you’re being *a little* biased here :) While I can give the M2 the plus for stuff like waypoints (although the more advanced AT on the newer drones is also worth mentioning), the side sensors as we all know come with a huge asterisk, which makes them not really worth mentioning for real life scenarios.
For the rest, I don’t think “i don’t think i would be using that” is a valid argument against any feature. Nobody uses *all* the features of a drone, we each have our own favorite way of getting the most of the drone. And I’m also pretty sure master shots is gonna be used a lot. Not for professional work and not even for hobby stuff in the final edit. But for throwing the bird in the air and 5 minutes later being able to post to social media a decent edit is gonna be very useful.
Don’t get me wrong, I’m also very much looking forward to the Mavic 3 or whatever it’s gonna be called but strictly looking at the options today, it seems to me i would have to be drunk to pay 1600€ for the M2P.

• Haha
Reactions: ninja_geezer
Agreed, I would not invest in a nearly three year old design of the MP2 today either with a shiny new model on the horizon. I had a good run with mine (combined with smart controller) for the last 2+ years, but again if I NEEDED to buy now, a MA2 would come up way short, even if it were only because of its lightweight inability to sustain higher winds (experienced that myself).

I think the MA2 will be the all-time best selling AC of DJI’s fleet, and deservedly so for the masses.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fast54