DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

DJI AIR 2S (FCC Posting)

I've been wondering about how RID would impact DJI's product release timelines. Given that drone manufactures must comply with the RID rules by September 22, 2022 , it seems to make sense for DJI to release a minor update to the MA2 this year, then next year a new Mavic 3 and Mavic Air 3 with full RID broadcast capabilities.

I've been wondering about how RID would impact DJI's product release timelines. Given that drone manufactures must comply with the RID rules by September 22, 2022 , it seems to make sense for DJI to release a minor update to the MA2 this year, then next year a new Mavic 3 and Mavic Air 3 with full RID broadcast capabilities.
Law requires no current changes. Once the exact method is determined.... then change things.

Have there been any rumors when models that comply with the FCC transponder rules will be coming out?
The FAA themselves have put it on hold since they can't figure out something that can actually be implemented.

Law requires no current changes. Once the exact method is determined.... then change things.
I realize this. My point was on a guess at DJI's product release logic. They have to be in compliance with RID September of next year - however the technical specifications/standards have not yet been agreed upon by the industry, but expect that by this coming Fall. So I was speculating that they are releasing a stopgap Air 2S this year, and in mid 2022 will release the Air 3 with RID compliant hardware.

There's also speculation out there that the Air 2S will have "air sense" added to it for the regions outside of North America that didn't have it in their version of the MA2 last year.

Basically IMHO if this holds true, there's no reason for a MA2 owner to buy a Air 2S thinking its a big upgrade. Instead just hold on to your MA2 and see what is released next year by DJI, as it will have to have RID in it.

Yeah, I, probably holding off on anything until that gets sorted. I’ll stick with the MA2

Yep I’ll stick with my MA2. I’ve learned unless you are certain when a new product will be out don’t wait. The MA2 is a great deal for what it is. I work in automotive manufacturing and we are working on parts for models that will not come out until Nov- Dec at the earliest and we have prototypes for 2023 models so just because they are working on it doesn’t mean it will be here anytime soon.

Reactions: New2piloting
The ‘S’ probably stands for Sensor or Speed.

Air 2 S being released in April with a 1 Inch Sensor and Top Sensors, Same basic Design.
I cannot sell my Air 2 fast enough. Sell Sell Sell

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly your DJI in the Rain and Land on Water.

The one in the photo came out as a test drone launching the current Mavic Air 2
For DJI to abandon the existing "Air 2" hardware so soon in its lifecycle (not to mention its HUGE success as it is now), they would have to be crazy and simply want to throw away revenue. The Air 2 is the most successful release since the Mavic 2 line introduction. The last thing they want to do is repeat the impact of the Mavic 2 success, as it nearly wiped out the Phantom sales (a 4 year staple of steady revenue). This is what they are now trying to avoid, hence the "Consumer" introduction with the DJI Assistant 2 maintenance software (hmmm, no longer "Mavic" in that app name????). They need to keep a solid division line between consumer and pro drones.

I seriously doubt that the new "Air" model will have anything beyond software upgrades (hopefully native waypoints are in the recipe???), as it doesn't need hardware updates (sensors, batteries, controller, etc.) to be more than competitive against the strongest consumer level competition that exists at this market position. The last thing DJI wants to do is compete against themselves.

But the Mavic 3 (or whatever their marketing brains decide to call the new "pro" line) will be extraordinary blowing away the competition in camera capability, battery life, weight, and collision avoidance. BUT, it will cost much more than the Mavic 2 line costs now, maybe another 25%. Also expect the new Occusync (3??) to be exclusive to the new pro line, with an updated smart controller (maybe IOS based?). Expect the Mavic 2 line (Pro/Zoom/Enterprise) to fade into obscurity, with the ones fortunate enough to have already have invested in them to retain the "Cream of the crop" status for the once semi-pro/now consumer line of drones for the next year or so. Occusync 2 will be around for at least the next 2 years at the consumer drone level (once again no competition, so why compete against yourself with such a robust connectivity protocol?).

Everything mentioned here is simply a figment (or fragment) of my imagination based on observation over the last 2 years of obsessing with unmanned flight and DJI's market position and reputation. After all, they make the best hardware and software for us drone freaks.

Thoughts anyone????

</SS>

For DJI to abandon the existing "Air 2" hardware so soon in its lifecycle (not to mention its HUGE success as it is now), they would have to be crazy and simply want to throw away revenue. The Air 2 is the most successful release since the Mavic 2 line introduction. The last thing they want to do is repeat the impact of the Mavic 2 success, as it nearly wiped out the Phantom sales (a 4 year staple of steady revenue). This is what they are now trying to avoid, hence the "Consumer" introduction with the DJI Assistant 2 maintenance software (hmmm, no longer "Mavic" in that app name????). They need to keep a solid division line between consumer and pro drones.

I seriously doubt that the new "Air" model will have anything beyond software upgrades (hopefully native waypoints are in the recipe???), as it doesn't need hardware updates (sensors, batteries, controller, etc.) to be more than competitive against the strongest consumer level competition that exists at this market position. The last thing DJI wants to do is compete against themselves.

But the Mavic 3 (or whatever their marketing brains decide to call the new "pro" line) will be extraordinary blowing away the competition in camera capability, battery life, weight, and collision avoidance. BUT, it will cost much more than the Mavic 2 line costs now, maybe another 25%. Also expect the new Occusync (3??) to be exclusive to the new pro line, with an updated smart controller (maybe IOS based?). Expect the Mavic 2 line (Pro/Zoom/Enterprise) to fade into obscurity, with the ones fortunate enough to have already have invested in them to retain the "Cream of the crop" status for the once semi-pro/now consumer line of drones for the next year or so. Occusync 2 will be around for at least the next 2 years at the consumer drone level (once again no competition, so why compete against yourself with such a robust connectivity protocol?).

Everything mentioned here is simply a figment (or fragment) of my imagination based on observation over the last 2 years of obsessing with unmanned flight and DJI's market position and reputation. After all, they make the best hardware and software for us drone freaks.

Thoughts anyone????

</SS>
we can all draw conclusions and assumptions. I just clarify that this image is from May 2019, before the Mavic Air 2 was launched. Osita Lv published it and made it known in mid-2020

I just bought a MA2. Its still being shipped. I figure if I wait for the 2S then I might wait for the M3. If I do that I'll never get a drone. I don't want to play the waiting game with drones like I do with tablets and cell phones. I will learn on the MA2 and maybe sell it in a year and buy the M3 if it comes down in price cause the 4 might be out then lol.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tflys78