DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

DJI care refresh - salt water

davide

Reactions
I have has several people give me conflicting information, can someone from DJI give a definitive answer on this.

Does the DJI care refresh cover a Mavic Air if it gets water damaged in salt water i.e. the sea.

I have been told it doesn’t by a supplier who said their own insurance is better as a lot cheaper but that they both cover fresh water damage.
But then I have been told by a college who has a p4 that it does because he had his covered.

TIA
David

I thought that when you paid for DJI care, you get a new refurbished drone but you need to return the damaged one to DJI. That's why you paid for the service... If they don't give you a refurbished one when you have available in hands the damaged one then the service is crap.

It’s the specific salt water I’m concerned with as I have been told, fresh water it’ll be covered and salt water it won’t.

It’s the specific salt water I’m concerned with as I have been told, fresh water it’ll be covered and salt water it won’t.

Water damage is covered. There is no discrimination against the briny in their Ts and Cs. Retrieving the drone from beneath the ocean in order to exchange it is another challenge altogether.

Thanks for the reply guys, I took it up with my supplier. I’m going with it being okay. And did just speak with my supplier and happened to speak with the boss who said there is no distinction and it is covered, ahhhhh.

Reactions: dazzer71
DJI Care Refresh does not cover the following:
1) Lost or partially lost aircraft, gimbal or accessories.
2) Stolen, forgotten, or abandoned product.
3) Damage caused by flight under unsuitable conditions.
4) Remote controller, battery of Inspire 2, Phantom 4 Pro and Phantom 4 Advanced, and modification accessories.
5) Deliberate losses.
6) Abrasions and shell damage that do not affect the performance of the product.
7) Direct or indirect losses caused by force majeure.
8) Replacement requests for damage incurred outside the period of validity.
9) Extra fees resulting from technical enhancements or performance improvements.
10) Damage resulting from modifications that are not in accordance with manual recommendations, or the use of incompatible batteries and charger.
11) Damage resulting from the use of third party accessories, batteries or software.

Reactions: Former Member
Just found this thread as I was just about to start a new one on a similar theme.

I have just bought the Care Refresh with minutes to go before the 48 hour deadline and I am now having a few doubts.

The reason I bought it is that I plan to use the Mavic whilst sailing on the west coast of Scotland. I used to have my heart in my mouth when I flew my Phantom 1 out over open water and I want my Mavic experience to be more relaxed ! There was no way I would consider taking off from the boat with all the rigging around but it may be possible with the Mavic and the possibilities are so exciting if I have the balls to give it a go ;)

I can now see we are covered for water damage but I wonder if condition 3) Damage caused by flight under unsuitable conditions is their get out of jail card.
Anyone had any claims experience after taking off from a seashore or even a boat ?

...I can now see we are covered for water damage but I wonder if condition 3) Damage caused by flight under unsuitable conditions is their get out of jail card.
Anyone had any claims experience after taking off from a seashore or even a boat ?
Unless your boat is very still and without much metal, you will find that the Mavic is more difficult to land than the Phantom. Hand launching is easy but the landing is more difficult (it is easy if there is no movement). With the Phantom you at least have a leg to grab. I have seen some attachments for the Mavic that give you something to grab but have not tried them.

I do not have water damage claims experience, but my land damage experience was that they did not ask any questions. They shipped the replacement the same day they received the wreck (CA) and I was flying again in 10 days. I believe the "unsuitable conditions" may be for temperatures or winds or other warnings which were ignored. The logs will not show what it was launched from. Your biggest problem will be that you must provide the wreck for replacement. If it sinks you are SOL. I have not tried any but there are float attachments you can get if you plan a lot of water flying. They may not prevent water damage but should keep it from sinking.

Okay, lost my MPP in the water few weeks ago. Bought it used, didn't have Refresh. Just got my new one, brand new, unopened box, but NOT from a dealer or store. Doesn't anyone know if I can get Refresh???

As for the floatation discussion, all the floats I've seen mount underneath and are a joke and are made for landing. Would completely screw up flight! I'm working on a top mount. I don't care about landing on the water, I want recovery, SD card and the bird for Refresh. I'll post some pics when I get it done.

Forgot to mention few things. I do most of my flying over water and off of boats. Hand launching are recovery is pretty much a must!! Takes practice, do it on land a lot, and a trick to learn is to back in to the catcher so the OA doesn't kick in and keep you from flying forward. And be sure to get a good grip when the power down goes into action. You get a good burst of power if you're not doing to palm landing, which is to hard on the boat, things are moving. so you have to grab it and manually shut it down with the sticks.

One last important thing, if you're moving on the boat substantial distance, you have to disable "smart RTH"!! This way it won't try to go into RTH with a lot of battery left to get back to the takeoff point that is now a long ways away from you. If you forget to disable, you can do two things. Reset the home point to the controller location every few minutes which resets the HP to where you are now. Or you can just be ready for it the prompt you that RTH is about to happen and cancel it. Watch you indicator bar at the top to see when it get close to that point. When the 'H' gets close on the bar to your time remaining 'number'.

Bolton

Thanks guys - lots of useful info there.

I understand about landing the Mavic. I have not even flown mine yet as I want to understand a bit more about the (overwhelming) options, both for flying and more importantly the photography side. I have hundreds of hours on the Phantom 1 Vision so once the Mavic is airborne I am confident I can fly it with the controller but I want to get the most out of some of the photographic options such as circling a target. Anyway to get back to the point I suspected landing might be an issue assuming the boat is stable enough for the IMU to allow take off . I used to always grab the Phantom by its leg but I have seen a video of someone palm landing his Mavic. Guess it will be practice and yet more practice.

As to recovery, I plan to get one of those water activated floatation devices. I have one for my hand held VHF but it is too old to be reliable. It is only small and I think it contains a CO2 cartridge and a balloon type thing. It is supposed to go off when it gets to a metre of depth. I have read quite a lot about the type I have failing to work ! I will have to do a bit of research as there must have been improvements in the 20 years or so since I got mine.

Anyway, thanks again and I would love to see any pics of any solutions and I will post updates when I have found something.

Oh yes, Bolton, what is OA as in 'the OA doesn't kick in' ?

Thanks
Paul

...Takes practice, do it on land a lot, and a trick to learn is to back in to the catcher so the OA doesn't kick in and keep you from flying forward. And be sure to get a good grip when the power down goes into action. You get a good burst of power if you're not doing to palm landing...
Try bringing it in sideways and grasping it in front of the downward sensors. Your hand won't be detected so it will not rev up to get away.

OA is Obstacle Avoidance.
Got it - can I not just disable that in the app ?
Come to think of it, are there any kind of flying profiles you can set up in the app depending on the type of flight ? (apols for such basic questions but I am time limited and off to the boat on Friday)

Try bringing it in sideways and grasping it in front of the downward sensors. Your hand won't be detected so it will not rev up to get away.
The YouTube video I watched had the guy land it on his palm with the motors turning - not sure if I fancy that !

Got it - can I not just disable that in the app ?
Come to think of it, are there any kind of flying profiles you can set up in the app depending on the type of flight ? (apols for such basic questions but I am time limited and off to the boat on Friday)
You turn off Obstacle Avoidance in the app.

There are no flying profiles that I am aware of. It would be a nice feature. Become as familiar as you can with Go 4 in the little time available.

The YouTube video I watched had the guy land it on his palm with the motors turning - not sure if I fancy that !
Some people hold out their hand and land on it. I prefer to grasp it in front of the downward sensors and then turn off the motors. I feel that I have more control of the situation.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DoubleBarS