DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

DJI drones spying USA

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well I guess I see the opposite and won't make a political comment about specific news agencies. IMO it has no place here. How about how others are reporting this?

That's from one year ago, but more of the same stuff.

what information could they get, the location of your flights? so what
If a drone recorded sound that would be a problem but it doesnt
Did the dumbass give any examples of how this spying would work?

For most of us, the data about were our drone is flying and what it is looking at is kind of irrelevant. Hell the FAA wants to know where our drones are flying all the time - is that spying? That said, some flights should be confidential. Ongoing police and military operations come to mind.

Now in my best Dr. Evil voice - we can control the drones to fly away, target their crash and force the battery to explode on impact - MuHaHaHa...

Dr Evil could do it, but not sure China would want to loose the business.

It is kind of funny, the DJI drones are spying on us - meanwhile the FAA wants our flight data recorded and posted on a public database for 6 months. I guess it is ok if they spy for everyone and keep it accessible for months.

It is kind of funny, the DJI drones are spying on us - meanwhile the FAA wants our flight data recorded and posted on a public database for 6 months. I guess it is ok if they spy for everyone and keep it accessible for months.

If only those two things were even remotely equivalent then it might indeed be funny.

The US doesn't make anything! And when we finally start "making stuff" again, it will be much better than Chinese products. No chemicals to worry about, stuff will last again. Maybe this pandemic will start the revolution back to "made at home"(USA or where ever your from).
Sounds good so long as US consumers are okay with paying 300% more ?

Two problems with that. "Tucker Carlson" and "congressman suspects".

Without getting into politics: a public official that "suspects", but has no proof, can only go on a show like Carlson's show and say that. Because they don't ask for credibility on that show.

My advice: forget about DJI spying on the US, because if it IS happening, there are experts (not politicians) that already know about it. And they're not talking about it on Fox news.

Chris

Good reply. I'm not living in the US, but the discussion is the same in Sweden... And rumours about Tucker Carlson and Fox News have reached my part of the world as well... :)..
I wouldn't bother. Keep on flying and stay safe!

Rgds Roger

They're two different entities however.

DJI has their registration and so does the FAA, but FAA is doing it for compliance?

Technically it is possible, data would be stored on the phone and passed over during an update, but what would be the point? Flight records? FAA has them up publicly already, there's no need to spy to do that.

Flight records? FAA has them up publicly already, there's no need to spy to do that.
Where did you get that idea?
The FAA has no idea of your flight records and there's nothing of your flight data made public.

Where did you get that idea?
The FAA has no idea of your flight records and there's nothing of your flight data made public.

Apologies, referring to comment 30 in this thread, I didn't know it wasn't an actual rule. Not American so I don't pay too much attention to y'alls regulations.

Ok guys I tried to clean this up as best I could. I know it’s hard for some of you to refrain from making post with
political overtones but it is not allowed here and warnings have been issued. Anymore and you won’t be. Most of you know this and the rest would do themselves a favor to read
our guidelines.
Continue but do keep this in mind.

I was just watching Tucker Carlson of Fox news. He had a congressman from Florida on, saying he suspects DJI drones, donated to American law enforcement, of spying on the US and sending data back to the Chinese government. I fail to see how they could do this, because after flying my mavic, I just take the SD card out and transfer the videos to my computer. I don't plug the drone into the internet. It seems if this "spying" was really happening, our people could test the drones to see if they are doing anything nafarios. Because if this accusation is unchallenged, it could harm our ability to buy DJI drones here in the US.
Bahahahhhaaa!
“Hey look, John Smith from Tallahassee needs a few roofing tiles replaced!”
Bahahahahahhahhahhahhaa!

The US doesn't make anything! And when we finally start "making stuff" again, it will be much better than Chinese products. No chemicals to worry about, stuff will last again. Maybe this pandemic will start the revolution back to "made at home"(USA or where ever your from).
I too dislike the fact that we rely on Chinese made and have lost our manufacturing ability to a great extent. But competition isn't always bad, it can make you try to beat the other guy and be better. I know there isn't always a level playing field, i e workers pay and regulations, but no real competition can give us some of the crap Detroit put out in the 70's and 80's.

Reactions: E90RAW
Rick of Drone Valley (youtube) presents a strong argument of why hobby drones are poor choice for spies, especially DJI drones.

I too dislike the fact that we rely on Chinese made and have lost our manufacturing ability to a great extent. But competition isn't always bad, it can make you try to beat the other guy and be better. I know there isn't always a level playing field, i e workers pay and regulations, but no real competition can give us some of the crap Detroit put out in the 70's and 80's.
I believe that was the non-existent oil embargo brought on by the greedy oil companies. All big three automakers failed to bring in a fuel efficient car initially.

And it was the bean counters (post accounting), that thought we'd be cheaper making cheaper products and send it on a slow boat to/from China.

I was just watching Tucker Carlson of Fox news. He had a congressman from Florida on, saying he suspects DJI drones, donated to American law enforcement, of spying on the US and sending data back to the Chinese government. I fail to see how they could do this, because after flying my mavic, I just take the SD card out and transfer the videos to my computer. I don't plug the drone into the internet. It seems if this "spying" was really happening, our people could test the drones to see if they are doing anything nafarios. Because if this accusation is unchallenged, it could harm our ability to buy DJI drones here in the US.
It all seems like hype and misinformation to me.

Not sure whether China is spying on us through our drones, but if you are using Zoom (especially during this pandemic), there is some encryption flaws as it uses servers in China.

The possibility does seem heightened if they do it with one technology, who knows how many technologies that might employ it on a larger scale.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mjauuu