DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

DJI fly app

RobotBee

Reactions
How are people finding it?

2 things i can see from YouTube videos are that there is no gauge along the top telling you when you need to turn around to fly home, and the white display is really hard to read against the white background....

What are people's thoughts, particularly coming from the Go4 app?

Thanks

Yes I noticed the same thing. It's funny because although the meter moved away and towards the Go Home indicator I still felt sort of aware of how much flight time I had left. On the Fly app the flight time is still there but it changes and I don't know how much itll change. I like the beam direction at the bottom of the Fly app. It helps me to direct the antenna in the right direction and bring my aircraft back. I don't really know how I feel yet about the drag to activate the Quickshot menu, I keep accidentally triggering it. Otherwise I like Fly App simplicity

I needed a new phone for the Fly app and got a wide screen phone (Samsung A71 with a 20:9 aspect ratio), problem solved.
1590451227751.png

I think the iPad puts the onscreen telemetry above and below the live feed on a black border. I don't know what the designers where thinking by overlaying white numbers on a typically light colored area of the feed.

I haven't tested to see how distance from the home point affects the remaining flight time. I would think DJI would put in some sort of calculation in the app to insure there is enough power left to get back to the home point.

Reactions: LoganAir
I like the Fly app a lot. Intuitive. Easy to use. And using the Fly app to edit video on my iPhone is loads of fun and the app takes care of most film editing needs unless you’re in need of pro abilities.

Reactions: hiflyer201
Yes I noticed the same thing. It's funny because although the meter moved away and towards the Go Home indicator I still felt sort of aware of how much flight time I had left. On the Fly app the flight time is still there but it changes and I don't know how much itll change. I like the beam direction at the bottom of the Fly app. It helps me to direct the antenna in the right direction and bring my aircraft back. I don't really know how I feel yet about the drag to activate the Quickshot menu, I keep accidentally triggering it. Otherwise I like Fly App simplicity

Meter moved... ? I didn't think there was still a meter....

Meter moved... ? I didn't think there was still a meter....
There isn't a "timeline" meter per se but the flight time remaining still shows next to the battery. I like the Go 4 version where you could see how close your remaining flight time is to the go home mark.

There isn't a "timeline" meter per se but the flight time remaining still shows next to the battery. I like the Go 4 version where you could see how close your remaining flight time is to the go home mark.

Ah ok, got you. So it's up to you to work out how long it's going to take you to fly home, based on how far away you are? I think I'd really miss the gauge from the Go4 app! Seems like a step backwards...

Thanks

I like the app..but whats up with syncing the flights? Sometimes it goes to Air Data and other times it doesn't. It synced instantly with DJI go4

Reactions: crosswired
Ah ok, got you. So it's up to you to work out how long it's going to take you to fly home, based on how far away you are? I think I'd really miss the gauge from the Go4 app! Seems like a step backwards...

Thanks

No bar, but it still initiates a RTH at the calculated time. So, you can't see what that time is, but you get alerted when you get to it.

I like the app..but whats up with syncing the flights? Sometimes it goes to Air Data and other times it doesn't. It synced instantly with DJI go4

There are a few threads here on this. The issue seems to be that it autosyncs before flights are done (and then again after). If you turn off auto-sync before you fly and turn it on afterwards, all seems to be good.

No bar, but it still initiates a RTH at the calculated time. So, you can't see what that time is, but you get alerted when you get to it.

A poor substitute in my opinion - I like to add my own safety margin to the return to home indicator based on wind direction, and the fact that I always like to land with around 25-30% battery left.

Thanks for the info though

I like Go4 more tbh, on full screen Fly apps top symbols are almost invisible (ipad mini4) and whole menu was more intuitive

Pay attention when the Fly app wants to initiate a RTH. Page 14 of the manual - "
Low Battery RTH is triggered when the Intelligent Flight Battery is depleted to the point that the safe return oF the aircraft may be affected. Return home or land the aircraft immediately when prompted." So I assume this means that the further the MA2 is away from the Home Point the sooner this message will appear. For example RTH maybe initiated when remaining battery time is 5 minutes @ 1 km out and at 10 minutes @ 2 km out I pulled these numbers out of my a$$, they were only used to make the point.

It's still not a good substitute for the battery time remaining timeline in the GO 4 app, but it's better than nothing. I really do miss this feature in the Fly app and you could also adjust the battery percentage left for the waning.

Reactions: crosswired
Absolutely bizarre decisions by the DJI UI designers as far as I'm concerned... Massive oversights
absolutely agree, hope they'll re-design it
for mean time, I've changed video screen ratio to 16:9 to get black margins on the top and bottom of the screen

This was a quick test to see how far I can go around my neighborhood but shows why I don't like the new meter.

Notice how at 2:46 the remaining flight time is at 9'14
Then when I turn to come home at 3:10 the remaining jumps to 20'24

Now to be fair I realize i switched from Sport to Normal modes but the remaining time is all over the place. I assume it means that if I stayed in Sports mode I'd only have 9 minutes left but when I switched to Normal I had 20 minutes. So now the question is if I'm 7000 ft away which I got to in Sport Mode can I get back in 20 minutes in Normal?

This was a quick test to see how far I can go around my neighborhood but shows why I don't like the new meter.

Notice how at 2:46 the remaining flight time is at 9'14
Then when I turn to come home at 3:10 the remaining jumps to 20'24

Now to be fair I realize i switched from Sport to Normal modes but the remaining time is all over the place. I assume it means that if I stayed in Sports mode I'd only have 9 minutes left but when I switched to Normal I had 20 minutes. So now the question is if I'm 7000 ft away which I got to in Sport Mode can I get back in 20 minutes in Normal?

Of course the time remaining in sport and normal are going to be total different, but you can make up for in that you can go much father in the same time. The faster you fly (generally - lift comes in a bit) the more energy you use, so you can fly for much less time.

It's exactly like your car. Think about it. Let's say you have 1 gallon of gas in your car. And your car gets 20 MPG. At 40 MPH, you can drive 30 minutes until you run out of gas (and would have gone 20 miles). If you drive 80 MPH, do you think you could drive the same 30 minutes? Of course not, because that would mean you drove 40 miles on the same gallon of gas. You could go the same 20 miles, but it would only take you 15 minutes to drive those 20 mpg, so you would be out of gas in 15 minutes in this "sport" mode versus 30 minutes before. Same thing. (of course, in the real world if you got 20 mpg at 40 MPH, you would probably get less at 80 mph, so your actual time and distance at 80 mph is less than 15 minutes and less than 20 miles, but for simplicity, lets ignore that it gets worse).

I think the time remaining is good. It's a good heads up on the amount of battery sport mode will eat up. I like the camera set up much better and I think that maybe.. I hope..I won't forget to start the video quite as often. It's very fast to set up and get to flying ..however It is hard to read on my 6s. That will get better when I don't have to hunt around. This drone fly's like a dream doesn't it. I just flew both the 1 and 2 in the hot, gusty wind and thermal ridden desert and what a difference. I'm really loving it

Reactions: dave27
Agree. I like the scale at the top of Go4 where I always had a visual of what was left on the battery. I also liked the “footprint” flags of countries where I’d flown in. The Fly app isn’t bad, I do like its simplicity, but still think it’s a step backwards imo.

I wish the GPS # of sat's # was bigger. I assume the GPS bars are based on HDOP? During a previous flight, I noticed what appeared to be some red color on the icon in the bottom center. Not sure if it was telling me that I was exciding pitch or speed limits. Anyone know if documentation exists that describes every single OSD element? Wish we could control the gimbal speed.

One thing I noticed on my last flight was yellow border blobs on the top and bottom of the screen as if the app was overlayed onto something. This is on iPhone 10 Xsmax.

I wish the GPS # of sat's # was bigger. I assume the GPS bars are based on HDOP? During a previous flight, I noticed what appeared to be some red color on the icon in the bottom center. Not sure if it was telling me that I was exciding pitch or speed limits. Anyone know if documentation exists that describes every single OSD element? Wish we could control the gimbal speed.

One thing I noticed on my last flight was yellow border blobs on the top and bottom of the screen as if the app was overlayed onto something. This is on iPhone 10 Xsmax.
Not sure about the red but the yellow border blobs are object sensors.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Electrakill21