DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

DJI Fly crashed

IslandBarnDave

Reactions
So I had a great afternoon flying my MA2, having done the firmware updates to my drone and batteries yesterday. For the first two batteries all went well and as a new flier I practiced various manoeuvres without looking at the screen. I had a little fun too, checking out sport mode for example.

The problem occurred when I changed to the third battery. I was flying at 50m AGL and a distance of 500m. The conditions were perfect for testing my eyesight and I still had VLOS when the app (v1.2.2) crashed.

I tried to relaunch it but it wouldn’t restart. I admit i momentarily panicked before remembering reading that I could still fly the drone anyway. By that point I had completely lost sight of the drone so I hit RTH. It seemed an age before I saw her again at which point I regained control and brought her home safely.

Before I malign DJI’s software I should point out that a little later I discovered that the storage on my iPhone 11 Pro was maxed out (too much music and too many videos). That prevented WhatsApp from loading and may have been the cause of the Fly app crash. It was too late to test that theory and I hope for some decent weather to try again tomorrow.

I wonder whether anyone else has had a similar experience?

Reactions: Captmike
Yup...that is almost certainly what caused it. The app writes to the phone to cache images and other data. Probably corrupted something and that's why it would not restart. Cleaning out some space will help. I'd keep the phone at no more then 80% capacity or get one that will be dedicated to the drone. Does not need service...:)

I seem to have had a different issue this morning that I posted on another thread. Having updated firmware yesterday, my Mini 2 decided to spontaenously switch into Atti mode numerous time while the app showed 23 satellites. I wonder if the broke something in the update?

Yup...that is almost certainly what caused it. The app writes to the phone to cache images and other data. Probably corrupted something and that's why it would not restart. Cleaning out some space will help. I'd keep the phone at no more then 80% capacity or get one that will be dedicated to the drone. Does not need service...:)
The Apple Music has gone since I only use Spotify these days. That cleared 20gb in one go ?

I went with a dedicated iPad mini 5, removed most of the apps on it I don't need to fly.

Reactions: eaglesurfing
I went with a dedicated iPad mini 5, removed most of the apps on it I don't need to fly.
How does that work weight-wise? Is it any more cumbersome than an iPhone 11 Pro Max? Also I wonder about the conflict between having a bigger screen and maintaining VLOS. Is there an argument that you don’t need a bigger screen because you should be looking at your drone... or am I being naive?

So I had a great afternoon flying my MA2, having done the firmware updates to my drone and batteries yesterday. For the first two batteries all went well and as a new flier I practiced various manoeuvres without looking at the screen. I had a little fun too, checking out sport mode for example.

The problem occurred when I changed to the third battery. I was flying at 50m AGL and a distance of 500m. The conditions were perfect for testing my eyesight and I still had VLOS when the app (v1.2.2) crashed.

I tried to relaunch it but it wouldn’t restart. I admit i momentarily panicked before remembering reading that I could still fly the drone anyway. By that point I had completely lost sight of the drone so I hit RTH. It seemed an age before I saw her again at which point I regained control and brought her home safely.

Before I malign DJI’s software I should point out that a little later I discovered that the storage on my iPhone 11 Pro was maxed out (too much music and too many videos). That prevented WhatsApp from loading and may have been the cause of the Fly app crash. It was too late to test that theory and I hope for some decent weather to try again tomorrow.

I don't know what WhatsApp has to do with anything.

Reactions: IslandBarnDave
How does that work weight-wise? Is it any more cumbersome than an iPhone 11 Pro Max? Also I wonder about the conflict between having a bigger screen and maintaining VLOS. Is there an argument that you don’t need a bigger screen because you should be looking at your drone... or am I being naive?
I went from an iPhone 7, the weight was barely noticeable. Lots of talk about VLOS, yes you need to maintain it but you also (at least I do) want that birds eye view , if not get a drone without a camera. Not naive, just learning.. me too! Lots to learn about these things. My eyes aren't as good as they once were hence the bigger screen, at least for me.

Here is what it looks like with the iPad mini.

IMG_4672.JPG

Simply that WhatsApp flagged up that my storage was at 100% so gave a clue as to what had caused DJI Fly to crash.

I went from an iPhone 7, the weight was barely noticeable. Lots of talk about VLOS, yes you need to maintain it but you also (at least I do) want that birds eye view , if not get a drone without a camera. Not naive, just learning.. me too! Lots to learn about these things. My eyes aren't as good as they once were hence the bigger screen, at least for me.

Here is what it looks like with the iPad mini.

View attachment 120453
Thanks, that’s useful input and I’ll look into getting a mini too.

Reactions: A.O.
Thanks, that’s useful input and I’ll look into getting a mini too.

Make sure you get a Ipad Mini 5, the Mini 4 struggles a bit with the increasingly cpu intensive DJI Fly.
Also I've read a new Ipad Mini 6 is on the horizon, which might be worthwhile waiting for.

I'm actually planning to steal the wife's iPad Air 2020 as it has a 10.9 screen and is only 1.5in longer and wider than an Ipad Mini

Last edited:

I would recommend a dedicated phone/tablet for drone flying and keep your regular phone for normal use.

Successful afternoon flying today and no problems with the app now I’ve cleared down storage on my iPhone. My figure 8’s still looking a little wonky but they are getting there slowly.

Fly app keeps crashing for me now after the 1.2.2 update! About 2 or 3 times a battery. It will crach then restart straight away and i have to press the Go Fly to get visuals back.
Does anyone have any ideas?

• Wow
Reactions: koetoe
Fly app keeps crashing for me now after the 1.2.2 update! About 2 or 3 times a battery. It will crach then restart straight away and i have to press the Go Fly to get visuals back.
Does anyone have any ideas?

Is this the android or IOS version ?

Try disabling power optimization for the app. On my HTC M8, I've seen Go for my P3A go nuts when the phone was getting tight on resources. It seemed to improve when I turned off optimization.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tyroe1998