DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

DJI Fly vs Litchi - is it worth it ?

What app are you using at the moment with your drone?

• Total voters
I'm was leaning towards getting Dronelink because it seems you can do a little more with it like combining waypoints with other moves like orbit.
I've been playing with both. Litchi is pretty much drop dead simple to use for waypoint missions. Orbit, cable cam, etc isn't built in to add to a mission but you can simulate using a maybe a dozen waypoints.

Donelink does have more features but has a much larger learning curve. Almost every aspect of the drone can be adjusted but that also leads to complexity.

I'd love to see one of your waypoint missions. I've yet to see a faultless waypoint mission using virtual sticks. I've read where Maven seems to do the best but not faultless.
I use dronelink maven and litchi and the maven app will give you the best smooth flight that you will get with virtual sticks but yes it's not perfect but running stabilizer in premiere or davinci in post will make the maven video look great. Dronelink is the worst with smoothness and the camera jerks all over the place like the camera is trying to find something. Dronelink just had the best backend of the software where you preview the flight add more then 1 comman to a mission and you can use your air 2 for mapping with dronelink. I like litichi the best for manual flight because it talks and let you know what us going on at all times will not let you forget you don't have your sd card inserted let you know the battery level so you can hear it out loud and just concentrate on flying and lining up that perfect shoot and litichi just keeps me more aware. Now for the virtual sticks mission it Flys a little better then dronelink but not as good as the maven app.

This is nonsense.
Using a different app doesn't change the way the drone flies.
What aspect of the DJI flight software do you think is unreliable?

What makes you think the software crashed your drone?
If you post the flight data from your incident, it will probably reveal waht actually happened and I'd be more than surprised if it was due to software.
Actually, DJI Fly has been having connection issues since the last few versions (1.5.x) and Litchi does not present those problems. I have no idea why, but it is not a nonsense. Several YouTubers have already cover this topic.

I use dronelink maven and litchi and the maven app will give you the best smooth flight that you will get with virtual sticks but yes it's not perfect but running stabilizer in premiere or davinci in post will make the maven video look great. Dronelink is the worst with smoothness and the camera jerks all over the place like the camera is trying to find something. Dronelink just had the best backend of the software where you preview the flight add more then 1 comman to a mission and you can use your air 2 for mapping with dronelink. I like litichi the best for manual flight because it talks and let you know what us going on at all times will not let you forget you don't have your sd card inserted let you know the battery level so you can hear it out loud and just concentrate on flying and lining up that perfect shoot and litichi just keeps me more aware. Now for the virtual sticks mission it Flys a little better then dronelink but not as good as the maven app.
I already understand ALL of that. I just wanted to see your faultless video.

I have Litchi on iOS, Android and Crystal Sky. I use it for Photo and Video waypoint missions only.

If I just want to fly and goof around, then I use DJI Go4.

I already understand ALL of that. I just wanted to see your faultless video.
I am not the one that said I had a faultless video I was agreeing with you the maven app is not faultless but is the better video of the 3 apps

Reactions: AZDave
I am not the one that said I had a faultless video I was agreeing with you the maven app is not faultless but is the better video of the 3 apps
I'm sorry but you quoted me asking for a video so my brain automatically went there.
I guess I should have answered "I already understand ALL of that. I just wanted to see a faultless video.

Since Maven is only on iOS do you think the smoother flights might be do to the operating system it is running on? Perhaps faster processors on the phones?

Since Maven is only on iOS do you think the smoother flights might be do to the operating system it is running on? Perhaps faster processors on the phones?
I do not think that is it at all because if I run dronelink on the ios it still not smooth at all.

I am uploading a video now straight out of the maven app with no editing so you can see the difference.

I'd love to see one of your waypoint missions. I've yet to see a faultless waypoint mission using virtual sticks. I've read where Maven seems to do the best but not faultless.
Here is an unedited video from the maven app it is not flawless but it is better then dronelink and litchi unedited. Flown with a Mavic air 2 on the maven app.

All those birds would have made me nervous LOL
Look pretty smooth to me.
Whats in the ponds? Bass?

All those birds would have made me nervous LOL
Look pretty smooth to me.
Whats in the ponds? Bass?
Lol there was no need to really be nervous I was to high up and they was not really caring about me there is nothing in the lakes they treat those lake for nothing to grow in them.

Here is an unedited video from the maven app it is not flawless but it is better then dronelink and litchi unedited. Flown with a Mavic air 2 on the maven app.

I also use (and like) Maven with my Mavic Air 2, but with all due respect, that's not a very good test. I agree that most people who complain about virtual stick being jerky haven't learned how to get the best from their app, but your video was taken from quite a height and was pointing downward almost the entire time. The jerkiness shows up more strongly when turning left or right at closer distances. Panning is generally smooth because that is driven by the gimbal, but turns can be problematic.

Michelle's video referenced by Mitch76 above has some decent tips, but I would also suggest breaking up turns into multiple waypoints, and of course setting the DJI Fly parameters for slow response to stick commands.

I also use (and like) Maven with my Mavic Air 2, but with all due respect, that's not a very good test. I agree that most people who complain about virtual stick being jerky haven't learned how to get the best from their app, but your video was taken from quite a height and was pointing downward almost the entire time. The jerkiness shows up more strongly when turning left or right at closer distances. Panning is generally smooth because that is driven by the gimbal, but turns can be problematic.

Michelle's video referenced by Mitch76 above has some decent tips, but I would also suggest breaking up turns into multiple waypoints, and of course setting the DJI Fly parameters for slow response to stick commands.
Well that is not true at all I have several dronelink and litchi videos with the same height and the same mission flow on the same day with alot of Jerking no matter going left right or camera angle I have run this mission and 3 other mission in all 3 apps.

Last edited:
Well that is not true at all I have several dronelink and litchi videos with the same height and the same mission flow on the same day with alot of Jerking no matter going left right or camera angle I have run this mission and 3 other mission in all 3 apps.

It doesn't change the fact that flying high with the camera pointed down is not the same as flying closer to objects, pointing the camera horizontally, and making turns. That is a tougher test ... and it's the situation most people complain about.

Run a mission around that body of water at 100 feet elevation using waypoint turns. I'm not saying you won't get a smooth video, but the video you did doesn't prove the point.

It doesn't change the fact that flying high with the camera pointed down is not the same as flying closer to objects, pointing the camera horizontally, and making turns. That is a tougher test ... and it's the situation most people complain about.

Run a mission around that body of water at 100 feet elevation using waypoint turns. I'm not saying you won't get a smooth video, but the video you did doesn't prove the point.
Ok I am not going to keep arguing back and forth if it works for you then great but what you are saying is making no sense that if I run dronelink and litchi at the same height and get jerkiness and I run maven at the same height and not as much jerkiness is proving the point about jerkiness period. You can run your mission at 100 feet and prove your point. I know I have run many of the same missions in all 3 apps different heights angles and whatever else you want to name and I know my results always end in more jerkiness in the dronelink app little less jerkiness in the litchi app and even less jerkiness in the maven app........

That's way way better than dronelink and litchi. Not perfect but darn close. I know that Maven wanted to get an Android version but that doesn't look very promising and I'm not buying an IOS device just to get smoothER waypoints.

Reactions: up&overimaging
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Albrecht0803