DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

DJI FPV simulator - manual mode is that hard or is there some setting that is off/reality is better?

merg

Reactions
Experienced enough Mavic flyer but never touched FPV. Expected a steep learning curve for DJI FPV so I expected to be putting quite a bit of time into the simulator.

Despite these expectations, I still find the DJI Virtual Flight simulator to be quite frustrating, at least the training sessions for manual mode. Just trying manual mode via free flight and going very high and flying far and wide I have no issues, but just going through the basic training sessions where the tracks are low and turns are tight seems impossible at times. I have F1 and F2 on the throttle joystick tightened as instructed, but the stick seems way too sensitive to be moving through those turns

Are there some settings that may be off or is it just not a good trainer or is it just me? I was hoping the simulator would be good place to really put some time in but not being able to clear basic training modes really has me thinking about it.

Currently have not had the chance to fly the actual drone yet but I will soon, so am curious - for all the experienced FPV pilots out there - is the DJI Virtual Flight sim training mode worth putting time into? or is it just better to fly non trainer simulator (factory and etc) or to fly the drone in wide spaces and use the safeguards?

I agree with you about the DJI FPV simulator. If the DJI simulation is that difficult to master in manual mode, then I for one won’t be shelling out my “hard earned” to crash a FPV in the real world. I’m staying with my MA2 for sure! Fly in tripod and speed it up to FPV warp speed in post ?

I have no issues doing free flight, not even trying tight turns and aerobatics. However, I have a number of observations:
  1. Flying the FPV both in real life and in the simulator in manual mode is greatly depending on speed. If you tilt the camera up, you are forced to fly at a high speed, making it sometimes more easy, sometimes more difficult. So if things don't work for you, start with the camera in horizontal position and increase the angle every time you mastered a certain speed
  2. Flying in manual mode, the reaction of the drone with the left/right input on both sticks depends also on the speed. If the drone is flying at high speed, making a left banked turn requires the left stick to be counter steered (to the right)! This had me hugely confused in the beginning. At low speed, the drone is oriented more horizontally, and this effect is not there.
  3. I find that my left turns are much easier than my right turns. Apparently increasing throttle in combination with pushing the stick to the right is much easier for me than increasing the throttle and pulling it to the left...
  4. I started in the Stadium level of the simulator. See if you can fly nice corners around light poles on the corners. Goof around a little bit, trying to master the basic movements of the drone with not too many obstacles. Then I went to the factory level, and only then I started to follow the instructions and the time trials. Those have me seriously occupied! I can do the first with 5 stars and the second in the stadium with 3 stars, but that's as far as I have gotten!
All in all, I find that the simulator is an essential step in the transfer from flying mavics to flying the FPV in manual mode. I really feel that it is quite representative of the basic drone behavior. Lastly, when you finally try to fly the drone in manual mode in real life for the first time: DO NOT ATTEMPT TO TAKE-OFF AND LAND IN MANUAL MODE! If you are too cautious or too enthusiastic, you will crash the drone on both occasions. Just put it in Normal or Sport, take off to a safe height, and then switch to manual mode. Same goes for landing; approach your landing spot, hit the emergency brake and land in normal mode. You'll save yourself some tears!

Good luck, and let us know how you went!
-Joost-

I have no issues doing free flight, not even trying tight turns and aerobatics. However, I have a number of observations:
  1. Flying the FPV both in real life and in the simulator in manual mode is greatly depending on speed. If you tilt the camera up, you are forced to fly at a high speed, making it sometimes more easy, sometimes more difficult. So if things don't work for you, start with the camera in horizontal position and increase the angle every time you mastered a certain speed
  2. Flying in manual mode, the reaction of the drone with the left/right input on both sticks depends also on the speed. If the drone is flying at high speed, making a left banked turn requires the left stick to be counter steered (to the right)! This had me hugely confused in the beginning. At low speed, the drone is oriented more horizontally, and this effect is not there.
  3. I find that my left turns are much easier than my right turns. Apparently increasing throttle in combination with pushing the stick to the right is much easier for me than increasing the throttle and pulling it to the left...
  4. I started in the Stadium level of the simulator. See if you can fly nice corners around light poles on the corners. Goof around a little bit, trying to master the basic movements of the drone with not too many obstacles. Then I went to the factory level, and only then I started to follow the instructions and the time trials. Those have me seriously occupied! I can do the first with 5 stars and the second in the stadium with 3 stars, but that's as far as I have gotten!
All in all, I find that the simulator is an essential step in the transfer from flying mavics to flying the FPV in manual mode. I really feel that it is quite representative of the basic drone behavior. Lastly, when you finally try to fly the drone in manual mode in real life for the first time: DO NOT ATTEMPT TO TAKE-OFF AND LAND IN MANUAL MODE! If you are too cautious or too enthusiastic, you will crash the drone on both occasions. Just put it in Normal or Sport, take off to a safe height, and then switch to manual mode. Same goes for landing; approach your landing spot, hit the emergency brake and land in normal mode. You'll save yourself some tears!

-Joost-

As with airplanes, new sim pilots tend to over control. For instance, I fly a small aerobatic bush plane, when in the air flying most of the stick and rudder movements are miniscule, unless you do a max G pull up, a hard turn or an aerobatic maneuver, but if I fly a sim (like MFS) I find I easily over control my stick inputs as I do not feel the plane.

Flying drones, and the DJI sim, I also tend to over control at first since I do not physically feel the input, I have to wait and see what the drone is doing. One over control leads to another to correct the first and soon you have to stop and re orientate the aircraft. I think it only comes with practice, repetitive practice. Like doing the trial runs, it is hard not to go for speed but if one can go slow and work on accuracy then speed will follow. The trial runs (to me) are great teaching aids. Try not to get bored with doing the same one over and over, finesse will come.

It is like learning anything that is slightly complex, you have to train your mind and body, it does not come easy, but once you “get it”, you have got it.

Have fun!

M

Reactions: JoostGT3

-Joost-

Thanks for the response! Yes noted on takeoff and landing I dont plan to do manual versions of these until much much later.

I have been a bit busy so unable to practice lately but will be doing so soon.

Just wondering - it seems above is in response to free flight - I was actually having the most trouble with the weird training modes for manual flight for basic stuff like fly straight and in tight corners in some very restrictive simulator environment where camera angles not even initially allowed - is this anything anyone has played with and found very much not respresentative of true flying fpv manual mode and can be ignored? I spent hours trying to fly on that and failed miserably so I kinda got stuck

Reactions: JoostGT3
Thanks for the response! Yes noted on takeoff and landing I dont plan to do manual versions of these until much much later.

I have been a bit busy so unable to practice lately but will be doing so soon.

Just wondering - it seems above is in response to free flight - I was actually having the most trouble with the weird training modes for manual flight for basic stuff like fly straight and in tight corners in some very restrictive simulator environment where camera angles not even initially allowed - is this anything anyone has played with and found very much not respresentative of true flying fpv manual mode and can be ignored? I spent hours trying to fly on that and failed miserably so I kinda got stuck
Yes, I had the same. Tried free flight first for a couple of times, then when I did the lessons I really struggled.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bbj5143