DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

DJI Go 4 App Crashing on SC: SOLVED

GDadd

Premium Pilot
Reactions
In the event anyone has a similar issue, I am posting the symptoms and resolution to a nagging problem I've had with the SC for months.

The problem I had was a combination of Go 4 app crashes and excessive app freezes during flights, the latter being much more prominent and really annoying.

The equipment included a DJI Smart Controller with a SanDisk 128GB Extreme Pro SD card, (2) Mavic 2 Pro quads and a Mavic 2 Zoom quad. The problems occurred independent of which quad was selected by the SC.

Mostly, I experienced up to three types of problems on virtually every flight:

1) After detecting the Mavic, the app would come up, but then responded to any input with delays of 15-20 seconds. Most of the time, I received the message to wait or close the app.

2) After switching from video to photo mode (mid flight) and making any aperture/shutter adjustments, the app would freeze for periods of 30 seconds or more, prompting the same wait or close app message.

3) When making any app change, the Go 4 app would crash. Restarting was successful and I was able to resume using the app.

A few days ago, per usual routine I started the Go 4 app, which promptly crashed. Nothing I did in any combo or power cycle stopped the app from repeatedly crashing before finishing the startup sequence, so I was essentially unable to do anything.

I had installed several apps awhile back, and proceeded to uninstall them - none of that worked. However, each time I uninstalled an app I was prompted to re-recognize the SD card and restart the controller.

I had never given any troubleshooting thought to the card, and decided to remove the card completely and startup the SC. It worked, and after several successful flights that turned out to be the culprit of all the problems listed above.

Reinserting the same card would reproduce the same crashing/freezing. I inserted a different card (same brand, type, size), formatted it, and have experienced no further problems.

No idea if this problem is an edge case, but figured I would post should it help anyone with these circumstances.

I read a while ago that SanDisk is one of the most counterfeited memory cards out there.
Not sure that is the issue, could have been just a bad card, but good trouble shooting down the problem. Thanks for sharing.

X2 on the counterfeit card.....that’s a real possibility as the SanDisk fakes are amazingly good....visually.....

X2 on the counterfeit card.....that’s a real possibility as the SanDisk fakes are amazingly good....visually.....
Dear Fred, i have had my MA now for 4 months no problems and love it. but now all of the sudden the gimbal start having epileptic type movements and gimbal overload msgs. i see alot of other people have had similar if not exactly the same issue. can you figuer this one out//? PLEASE

Did you try a format from the AC? Just curious.

Did you try a format from the AC? Just curious.
I haven't yet. There are some files I plan to transfer first, and then I will format to see if it recurs. It's entirely possible the delays had to do with how much data had built up on the card. I believe it was slightly more than half full.

In the event anyone has a similar issue, I am posting the symptoms and resolution to a nagging problem I've had with the SC for months.

The problem I had was a combination of Go 4 app crashes and excessive app freezes during flights, the latter being much more prominent and really annoying.

The equipment included a DJI Smart Controller with a SanDisk 128GB Extreme Pro SD card, (2) Mavic 2 Pro quads and a Mavic 2 Zoom quad. The problems occurred independent of which quad was selected by the SC.

Mostly, I experienced up to three types of problems on virtually every flight:

1) After detecting the Mavic, the app would come up, but then responded to any input with delays of 15-20 seconds. Most of the time, I received the message to wait or close the app.

2) After switching from video to photo mode (mid flight) and making any aperture/shutter adjustments, the app would freeze for periods of 30 seconds or more, prompting the same wait or close app message.

3) When making any app change, the Go 4 app would crash. Restarting was successful and I was able to resume using the app.

A few days ago, per usual routine I started the Go 4 app, which promptly crashed. Nothing I did in any combo or power cycle stopped the app from repeatedly crashing before finishing the startup sequence, so I was essentially unable to do anything.

I had installed several apps awhile back, and proceeded to uninstall them - none of that worked. However, each time I uninstalled an app I was prompted to re-recognize the SD card and restart the controller.

I had never given any troubleshooting thought to the card, and decided to remove the card completely and startup the SC. It worked, and after several successful flights that turned out to be the culprit of all the problems listed above.

Reinserting the same card would reproduce the same crashing/freezing. I inserted a different card (same brand, type, size), formatted it, and have experienced no further problems.

No idea if this problem is an edge case, but figured I would post should it help anyone with these circumstances.

Based on my experience it all has to do with the video cashing on the Smart Controller.

When cashing too much content it crashes the app due to a lot more ram memory is in work (I guess).

I went from cashing 16gb on an external SD card in the SC to only cashing 2gb to the built in storage on the SC. And now DJI GO 4 never crashes on me.

Reactions: RogerMav and GDadd
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MaxRichu