DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

DJI Go 4 app crashing regularly - Samsung S7 Edge

Hello! I now use my work cellphone an Iphone, and its really stabile. But, before that I have a bit hard to get a all new Android to work, a Huawei Honor 8. Try USB debugging mode. Did good for me but I return the Huawei anyway because my "free" Iphone worked!

Falcon, I've used the supplied cable plugged into the side port with my S7 and it works. Cable isn't long enough to use with the Tab, so I've tried other cables with varying degrees of success, which makes me suspect that some issues may be due to cable differences. The latest is a straight USB connector plugged into the bottom port on the controller. The tablet side of the cable is a right angle Micro USB.
Others have mentioned power-up sequence and I'm not sure how much difference it makes, but here's mine: Set Mavic on launching rug at take off point and power it up. Turn on tablet that is connected to the RC, or if the tablet is all ready on, plug cable in. In either case, I make sure the tablet or phone is on the Home screen and not needing to be woke up with a swish on the screen. Power up RC and let it auto-launch the DJI GO4 app. By this time, the Mavic will have acquired a good GPS fix, so I set the home point in the app and then take off.

Reactions: Falcon1az
@Falcon1az I'm not a pro. Far from that I'm a newbie in this matter. But I consider myself a researcher on the subjects I like. I go deep or at least I try, so I can gather all the info I need to take my conclusions.
But concerning to Dji products, they run smoothly on iOS devices. Period.
They are not made to run on this fragmented, all-kind-of-version Android.
There are too many pure and customized versions on the market.
Why someone's app works fine and others don't? There are too many variables to deal with. The OS, the app, the Dji's firmwares and its upgrades... That's why the well closed Apple environment wins the game.
Clearly the Go app was made for iOS.
I can tell, my earlier posts here were almost all complaining about my buggy S7 Edge. Why such powerful device end up with so many glitches, screen freezes and crashes? The problem is not the phone itself.
I'm a huge Android fan and user, but what a great experience I had using an iOS device for flying the drone.
I'll dare to say, get rid of Android devices.
All that said, this is only MHO and my personal experience.
Fly safe!

Just put three batteries through. An hour of flight, up to 2km away, using various modes. . DJIGo4 did not miss a beat for me on android 7 using my SOP. So all looks good so far. Will report if any issues arise.

OK I am going to bite the bullet and upgrade to Nougat. 600+ flights without issue with GO and Android Marshmallow..
Be interesting to see how I go. If I can avoid the app crashes simply by doing a proper clean install and USB launching as has always worked for me in the past it may be of use.

EDIT

So up and running now with DJIGo4 clean installed on Nougat 7.0. Connected to DJI servers and my flight history has synced back nicely. Had to re enter a few of my Go setting again others were retained on the aircraft/RC and came back.

Main thing is Internal Storage>DJI folder now contains a mere 800 files instead of the 3500 it did prior to flushing the folders and deleting Go immediately prior to the OS update. Will report back on how it goes for me.

Hey Logger, great news that you had zero issues. Can you please confirm your USB launching process?

I'm going to try a clean re-install tonight.

Cheers

Clean install DJIGo4 - having previously removed all its folders

Process might sound convoluted but is quick and simple

My launch routine -
1. Tap button to left of home button to "Close All" apps on S7E
2. Two finger scroll down from top of screen to reveal settings. Auto Brightness OFF & slide to full bright. (optional as you can achieve same within GO app)
3. Turn S7E screen off with power button to prevent tapping things inadvertently when mounting.
3. Mount S7E in RC cradle connecting phone end of USB only.
4. Power ON RC
5. Power ON Mavic
6. Turn S7E screen back on and onlock if required.
7. Plug other end of USB cable into RC
8. At Auto Launch prompt I chose from DJIGO4 or Litchi. I select DJIGO4 and "Just this once". So DJIGO4 is launched by association to the USB connection, but without setting it as default. This lets me use Litchi when required. But if you only use DJOGO4 you could set it as default & will always launch on USB insert.

Thats it.

I never launch DJIGO4 or Litchi by tapping their icons except if launching for reasons other than flying . I always launch them in association with USB cable insertion into the RC before flight.

BTW another 3 batteries flown later today. So 6 full batteries used with no issues with Nougat.Same stable experience I had on Marshmallow.

Hi Logger,
Which firmware version are you using in your S7 edge? (please tell me the complete firmware version).
Thank you!
Gaston

Bit of a surprise...from the DJI web page under Mavic Pro. Because DJI Go 4 crashes routinely (in flight) on my S7Edge.

Attachments

• 2.JPG
    2.JPG
    42.9 KB · Views: 38
Hello, everyone - brand new user here (haven't even gotten my Mavic yet, it's enroute). I have an HTC 10 and after reading all the DJI GO4 app issues I felt disheartened and was pretty much ready to turn the Mavic back around to return it. Now I'm glad I see that Logger has had some success with a Nougat phone, that's encouraging. I did just get off support chat with DJI and they were clear that they are well aware of the negative Play Store reviews and that their app devs are working on issues with the app and compatibility with the newer devices.
So... does the community here think I should still keep the Mavic? Will these Android issues likely get ironed out eventually for the most part? Thanks.

Hi Logger,
Which firmware version are you using in your S7 edge? (please tell me the complete firmware version).
Thank you!
Gaston
upload_2017-4-28_18-26-26.png

Another 3 batteries used today. So Nine batteries & 10 flights on Nougat in total. No sign of a hiccup - No DJIGO4 app crashes. While I know some will just say I am just Lucky - I think not. More to do with the procedures I use. They have served me well from day 1 with over 500 flights on my S7E with DJIGo to date.

I have an S7 Edge. After the most recent DJI Go 4 update the app crashed instantly whenever I opened it.

I had to uninstall the app and download it again from the Play Store to fix the issue. Seems to be working ok again now.

does the community here think I should still keep the Mavic? Will these Android issues likely get ironed out eventually for the most part? Thanks.
Keep the Mavic? For sure!
Fly it with an Android device? It's a lottery.
Take this advice; set the properly RTH settings and other settings carefuly. For your first flights, don't fly it miles away. Just keep in sight and try to get used to its commands. If something, anything goes wrong, just disconnect the phone and connect it again, while your new toy waits for you hovering somewhere in a safe place and in sight.

Reactions: ayoldguy1
Hello, everyone - brand new user here (haven't even gotten my Mavic yet, it's enroute). I have an HTC 10 and after reading all the DJI GO4 app issues I felt disheartened and was pretty much ready to turn the Mavic back around to return it. Now I'm glad I see that Logger has had some success with a Nougat phone, that's encouraging. I did just get off support chat with DJI and they were clear that they are well aware of the negative Play Store reviews and that their app devs are working on issues with the app and compatibility with the newer devices.
So... does the community here think I should still keep the Mavic? Will these Android issues likely get ironed out eventually for the most part? Thanks.
I think I'm more pragmatic about owning this machine. Having said that, this 'experience' is not for everyone.

My advise - lay 14 - $100 bills in front of you.
List the many things you can buy or do or experience with $1400. Think about the things you won't do as well.
Make sure you really want a 'drone experience' before your spend your $1400.

So... my experience thus far has been overall - ok. Many 'bugs' with DJI Go 4 app.

The machine has worked well, the RC has worked well, the DJI Go 4 app (while very cool) has crashed excessively. It crashes when your flying BTW. This experience leaves a great deal to be desired thus far. Oh - the Galaxy S7 Edge is a "supported device" by DJI. Thats what I fly with.

I consider myself reasonably experienced with drone flying prior to buying the Mavic. I own DJI Naza Lite and its on an airframe, NEO, with a GoPro. Been a reasonable experience. I also FPV with that machine while recording with Fatshark Dominator II goggles.

I've got a DJI 450 frame with a Naze board I'm testing with Dragonlink and 1.3ghz video for long range. I race drones... got 3 of them.

So some experience prior to buying the Mavic. The Mavic is my 8th drone. By far, the most expensive.

Many things to consider after you've "test flown" the machine (Mavic) in your backyard. Any place you take this machine to fly will likely be unfamiliar. That comes with some risk when you fly. For instance, I took my machine to Salt Lake City last weekend. I flew it at Veteran's Park in SLC, my family's home in West Jordan, and up in Park City. Decent experience, all of them, but I was nervous, a bit unsettled flying. Unfamiliar areas, unknowns with the public, and always concerned about the unexpected (you never know what you don't know), and... I knew the app DJI Go 4 was going to crash when flying.

If this is your first machine - its a lot of money for a machine you are going to learn with. Given you may very well have the app shut down, and that is your image of where your going when flying, it may very well unsettle you. Keep in mind, in P-mode, the machine will hover in-place when you release the sticks. You re-start the app and now you have an image back. It is not comfortable... I don't like that experience at all... but I deal with it.

In any case, the question you have to ask yourself -- is this what you want to do with $1400.
Simple question.

Last edited:
Thanks, that is great advice. I really do want the experience, had always wanted an RC aerial machine since I was little and the drone experience which can combine my interests in photography and RC flying is just the ticket. Part of me just couldn't believe that a company as large and dominant in their industry as DJI would release such a crucial piece of the experience that they are selling as a buggy mess. I bought and flew a Syma X5C-1 for a few months prior to the Mavic, and just loved flying that thing around. I'm looking forward to easing my way into the Mavic experience (esp as a newbie, I mean easing) and am glad I've found this great community of fellow enthusiasts. Thanks!

I think I'm more pragmatic about owning this machine. Having said that, this 'experience' is not for everyone.

My advise - lay 14 - $100 bills in front of you.
List the many things you can buy or do or experience with $1400. Think about the things you won't do as well.
Make sure you really want a 'drone experience' before your spend your $1400.

So... my experience thus far has been overall - ok. Many 'bugs' with DJI Go 4 app.

The machine has worked well, the RC has worked well, the DJI Go 4 app (while very cool) has crashed excessively. It crashes when your flying BTW. This experience leaves a great deal to be desired thus far. Oh - the Galaxy S7 Edge is a "supported device" by DJI. Thats what I fly with.

I consider myself reasonably experienced with drone flying prior to buying the Mavic. I own DJI Naza Lite and its on an airframe, NEO, with a GoPro. Been a reasonable experience. I also FPV with that machine while recording with Fatshark Dominator II goggles.

I've got a DJI 450 frame with a Naze board I'm testing with Dragonlink and 1.3ghz video for long range. I race drones... got 3 of them.

So some experience prior to buying the Mavic. The Mavic is my 8th drone. By far, the most expensive.

Many things to consider after you've "test flown" the machine (Mavic) in your backyard. Any place you take this machine to fly will likely be unfamiliar. That comes with some risk when you fly. For instance, I took my machine to Salt Lake City last weekend. I flew it at Veteran's Park in SLC, my family's home in West Jordan, and up in Park City. Decent experience, all of them, but I was nervous, a bit unsettled flying. Unfamiliar areas, unknowns with the public, and always concerned about the unexpected (you never know what you don't know), and... I knew the app DJI Go 4 was going to crash when flying.

If this is your first machine - its a lot of money for a machine you are going to learn with. Given you may very well have the app shut down, and that is your imagine of where your going when flying, it may very well unsettle you. Keep in mind, in P-mode, the machine will hover in-place when you release the sticks. You re-start the app and now you have an image back. It is not comfortable... I don't like that experience at all... but I deal with it.

In any case, the question you have to ask yourself -- is this what you want to do with $1400.
Simple question.

Another 3 batteries used today. So Nine batteries & 10 flights on Nougat in total. No sign of a hiccup - No DJIGO4 app crashes. While I know some will just say I am just Lucky - I think not. More to do with the procedures I use. They have served me well from day 1 with over 500 flights on my S7E with DJIGo to date.
Hi Logger,
Thank you very much for your reply, my version is a little bit older than yours (compiled in february). Now I'm downloading a newer one, because mine keeps freezing while flying.
After this workaround, I will comment again here.
Greetings!
Gaston

View attachment 11760

I'm now thinking its either the cable, or something about Sony phones (Z5 compact). I did the complete re-install, including deleting all files. And then used the USB launching technique and nothing has changed. On average, the app crashes twice per battery. Really, really disappointing. Such a great drone, but an appalling attempt at software development.

I'll attempt using the USB at the bottom of the RC. If that fails, it's litchi, or back to an iPhone...

I'm now thinking its either the cable, or something about Sony phones (Z5 compact). I did the complete re-install, including deleting all files. And then used the USB launching technique and nothing has changed. On average, the app crashes twice per battery. Really, really disappointing. Such a great drone, but an appalling attempt at software development.

I'll attempt using the USB at the bottom of the RC. If that fails, it's litchi, or back to an iPhone...

Are you recording the video to your phone? You may want to to disable recording and see what happens. I've had many less crashes since doing this - although it isn't ideal. I think if I had more free memory on my Pixel XL (32GB) it might work better.

You also might try a different cable (unplug the side mounted cable first).
You also might try disabling auto-screen rotation (especially if you are on Nougat, because I think Android handles screen rotation differently on Nougat).

Performed a clean install of DJI Go 4 app. Performed the current firmware update (my new machine was 2 updates behind).
4 flights (about 1+15 of flying time) and no app crashes. Nice to have everything perform well, helps build confidence.

Reactions: R72-MT

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
henryairsoft1