DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

DJI GO 4 app on Android 7?

The DJI Go4 app crashes constantly on both my Galaxy S7 phone and my new Nvidia shield k1. Hope they get this fixed soon. I was hoping the Nvidia was going to be better, but it's actually a little worse. Even when it's not crashing, I get screen freezes which is awful when you're trying to change camera settings etc.

Another example of poor QC.
Incredible that dji leaves android users in the cold, although the majority of people use android phones and/ or tablets for many reasons, financial ones being the most obvious.
Better not make an Android app than a bad one, especially when it's used for time critical purposes amongst others.

I was also wondering lately about freezes of GO4 on my Sony Xperia XZ running Android 7.0. Usually after some minutes of flight the video stream will become laggy, showing artefacts and then GO4 will finally freeze the whole phone. This happens without actual video recording and video caching is switched off.
Most times I am flying with Litchi in VR mode on this phone and never experienced any crash or total freeze with Litchi.

So I tried GO4 on my old Nexus 6 running Android 7.1, too. There it also runs for some minutes and then, instead of laggy video, GO4 will just crash, showing the usual crash dialog.

When trying GO4 on my Samsung Galaxy Tab S2 9.7" running Android 6.0.1 I had no issues yet.

So, in conclusion, Litchi actually is more reliable than GO4, what also implies that the instability of GO4 is not related to a bug within the DJI SDK as this is used by both apps.

i had never problem with GO4 on my xperia z5. no software crash or freezes on nougat. the xperia ZX is a newest phone of sony?

The DJI Go4 app crashes constantly on both my Galaxy S7 phone and my new Nvidia shield k1. Hope they get this fixed soon. I was hoping the Nvidia was going to be better, but it's actually a little worse. Even when it's not crashing, I get screen freezes which is awful when you're trying to change camera settings etc.

You have to roll your shield back to 6.0.1. Marshmallow or it will continue to crash like crazy with DJI Go 4. A poster over at the DJI forums did a how-to.

See here: Nvida K1 Tablet

I did it and ever since(15+ flights, 2+ hours of flying), I've had exactly ZERO issues whatsoever with my Nvidia K1 shield.

Reactions: Insideout
FYI, I'm on a GS7E running Android 7 Nouget. Everything is working perfectly!
I just updated my Samsung 7 Edge to nougat. 7.0. Not sure why only 7.0. I have no phone carrier as this phone dedicated to Mavic only. Only wifi

S7 Edge on Android 7 nougat I experienced total app crash. Had to RTH. I started using Samsung Tab s2 8 inch on Android 6 marshmallow and it's flawless, now my Tab s2 wants to update to android 7 nougat, of course Ill keep ignoring the update since my Tab s2 is dedicated to my Mavic and P4P and it's performing perfectly. Not a glitch. I just wish I could use my S7 Edge at times, especially with the Mavic,

Reactions: Jimmie Hanson
My Samsung Galaxy 7 Edge works perfect. I am having trouble with my Tab S2 but I have not spent much time trying to resolve the issues. Will try again today

Maybe it is not possible to switch back and forth from the Edge to the S2. Any thoughts. Thanks

I have a Galaxy S7 edge and had nothing but problems. Constant mid flight app crashes. I finally caved in and picked up an iPad mini 4. Works fantastic and allows hardware accelerated video decoding.

Just remember that Samsung is famous for using different CPUs for devices sold in different regions. So your devices don't need to be identical although they have the same name printed on them.

Hi guy's I'm running samsung s7 edge with the latest updates and every time I stop recording with the mavic pro it shuts the go 4 app down , any suggestions

My U.S. Cellular Samsung Galaxy S7 updated to the most recent Android 7.0 OS this past weekend and I took the MP out for a spin for the first time today since the update. As soon as I opened Go4 it crashed, and each time I tried to reopen the GO4 app it would crash immediately. So I uninstalled the app, turned off the phone, restarted the phone, reinstalled the app from Google Play and I didn't have another GO4 app crash during 40 minutes of flying.

Just passing this along to those with similar issues who might want to try to the good ol' delete-reinstall trick.

i had never problem with GO4 on my xperia z5. no software crash or freezes on nougat. the xperia ZX is a newest phone of sony?

XZ is running Android 7.0.
The older Z5 will be on an earlier version...

I have had fairly stable flights now (only pixelates occasional maybe every 1 in 10 flights)
Turning off 'Cache Locally' and running the phone with ALL background apps cleared and in airplane mode has helped me.

I have NOT updated to the latest app version, 4.0.7 as the reviews in the store are worse than the 4.0.6.

DJI - FIX YOUR BASTARD APP!!!!!!

UPDATE -
Through continued watching of what is being used and when the faults, I've noticed a couple of interesting things.

Point 1/ I have turned the Cache Locally function off, and rechecked it several times. The Go-4 app does NOT cache videos to the phone. However, if I take a still photo (or bump the photo button) it WILL still cache to the phone and causes the screen to lock up for up to 30sec.

Point 2/ On start-up, I turn on the drone, wake my phone screen from lock and then start the RC controller
I often get the Android connection check list (do I wish to charge, share files etc) before I get the Go-4 start menu.
If I do not reply to the Android connection menu and tap GoFly, I will get through first go. If I accidentally touch a menu choice, or as has happened a couple of times, the lockscreen relocked, then I have to start again with the Mavic off, RC off and the Go-4 app shut down and cleared.....

I've missed several good shots trying to get into the air now jumping through the DJI app hoops

2443f7d70c03e198b086906a7e4f2b11.jpg

This is my version... fingers crossed no issues. Location Australia. Carrier Virgin / Optus

i got a LeEco x820 android device , working both on 6.01 and 7, on 7 the go4 app crashes on start, wasnt able to work with it on android 7
i use litchi
on android 6.01 go4 works no problem

Upgrading cell phone solved Android 7 issues.

Hi guys,

- I had older Zperia Z5 compact, had all previously described issues including video slowdown/app hang/video pixelization/phone freezing (didnt really require restart dough). Killing all bg apps + video cache helped to fly longer but did not solve it. Phone overheating on direct sunlight made it even worse -> i was loosing trust. Worst part was video lagging because then i had to check on my Mavic constantly if I am not flying into something.
- Tested old Galaxy table which crashed even sooner
- After upgrade to Samsung S8 i had zero crashes/issues and I was able to fly with video cache on, even with music streaming via internet to bluetooth headphones.

my thoughts:
App is constantly more demanding with new features (iPhone 6 without S stopped working btw) + Android 7 is more demanding -> app started to be "too much", especially for memory demands (even kills display background, makes app reloaded etc).

DJI shuts up about it because they have crappy choices:
- they do not want to tell you need to upgrade your cell when they officially promised less demands in the past
- they do not want to kill new feature development
- maintaining more app versions is costly

Hope it helps.

Seems fine to me on my Nexus 5X running 7.1.2 (July 17 security level)

Same issues on my Nexus 6P. Running 7.1.2 and it freezes my entire phone after a few flights.

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kclarke2929