DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

DJI Goggles Finally here, but illegal!

Movario BT300 and Glyph's. Albeit obstructed VLOS. To me, the rule could be interpreted a million ways.

This is why we have judges... judges are the most powerful people in the USA!
I have the BT-300. They are not "goggles". I also have the Glyphs and they are not "see through". You have to flip them up above the eyes for VLOS, which you could do with most goggles

Let's get real here guys. We have a drone that can fly 4 miles away in one direction. I find it hard to see the drone even at 200 yards away, let alone where it is in relation to buildings, trees or whatever. If you're flying towards a building with the drone and building directly in front of you, you can't tell how far away you are from it unless you're really close and can use your eyes directly. In my opinion, these goggles would improve safety and lessen your chances of crashing, not to mention you would have more fun flying. I say they're a win win.

I would not disagree at all, as a matter of fact I think you are correct that FPV would be safer (in your scenario).... until you lose video signal, THIS is what I believe is (one) of the sticking points. If you are dependent on FPV for safe flight and you lose your downlink you have a problem... hence the LOS rule. The other sticking point is that you are looking through a very narrow field of view and would have no idea if something were approaching you... hence the spotter.

Don't get me wrong, I love FPV, but lets get real here ;-)

I don't know about you, but when I fly beyond line of sight, I'm constantly watching three things any way.
1. Video Signal & Controller Signal
2. Battery
3. Speed

If I see the signal drop at all all I immediately change my aim slightly to get it back. It's very rare I have lost feed all together.

If you are dependent on FPV for safe flight and you lose your downlink you have a problem...
But you are dependent on the aircraft control system to work for it to go where you want it to, so...
If FPV is not acceptable becasue the video link can fail then flying the drone in the first place is not acceptable either becasue the RC link and/or control system can (and does) fail, with actually more serious consequences.

Not true. FAA guidelines for recreational fliers speak to flying under a community based set of guidelines. The AMA guidelines specifically allows FPV goggles as long as the aircraft is kept within VLOS and a spotter is present alongside the pilot.

https://www.modelaircraft.org/files/550.pdf
Thanks for this link and great information I pre-ordered the DJI goggles and have Fat Shark goggles as well. I am planning commercial UAS operations after I get my Remote Pilot cert. and I will be required to follow the part 107 regs. They require VLOS operation but I believe that I could get a waiver if I had a spotter working with me.

Does the FAA make “laws” or just rules and guidelines?

I choose Safety and Health over illegal any day. end of story no need to read this useless thread...

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maniac2000