DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

DJI launches the Mavic Mini

OK, so max bitrate is 40 MBps @ 2.7k. Anybody have a clue how that compares to the bitrate of the spark, the mavic pro and that of the mavic2 pro?
I have a spark, and am willing to upgrade if the video/photo quality is better. Also used to have a Mavic Pro (which, in hindsight REALLY lacked in the image quality depratment) and still have a Mavic 2 Pro (with nice image quality). I am not bothered by the lack of 4k, 2.7k is fine for me, as long as the quality is good. Any opinions on that?

Product release today BUT
20-25 days to ship

AND 0% of the accessories are in stock.

*Pre-order at B&H

Last edited:
Doesnt make sense that they release a product that wont be shipping for 25 days.... how is that a product release? It's more like a product preview with a pre order.

Reactions: pmshop
Doesnt make sense that they release a product that wont be shipping for 25 days.... how is that a product release? It's more like a product preview with a pre order.
I do believe they will be shipping sooner for those that ordered first. They are probably anticipating high demand for the holidays. Just a hunch.

Reactions: zeeeegerman
Pretty normal with this being a product release or announcement. Just like Apple and Samsung. Stores and retail won't get them for some time. Many of you have $$$ burning a hole in your pocket it looks like!

Many of you have $$$ burning a hole in your pocket it looks like!
No, no, no, not recommending a buy. Just an FYI.
Clumsy flier like myself needs all the OA he can get;)

I was super excited to add this to my fleet, but let me confirm some things first:

1. Do I understand correctly that you cannot operate this ultraportable ,"flying camera", super compact travel drone with your smartphone alone? I haven't seen anything in the promo materials that suggest you can and, in fact, I believe the FAQ suggests you need the controller. Is this true and, if so, how does that make any sense at all?

2. It also does not appear to support Gesture Control or Smart Capture and has no Follow Me functionality.

3. And it's a beginner-ish drone with absolutely no obstacle avoidance?

If all or any of these are true I don't see how this can be seen as an upgrade to the Spark. The size difference and realistic flight time just do not justify the convenience of traveling with the Spark and your just your phone (or no phone at all for that matter).

Any thoughts would be great.

Thanks

As suspected it's a nice entry level drone with decent photo/video performance that should satisfy a lot of those getting into the hobby. I like that it comes with a controller versus having the controller offered as an upgrade.

That said no obstacle avoidance means the new flyer has got to learn caution from the start and not rely on an OA feature to take care of them.

While I understand DJI wanted to keep the drone's weight below 250 grams to avoid the FAA registration requirement, if every recreational flyer is going to have to deal with the FAA in the form of passing a knowledge test, I'm thinking registration and paying the $5 fee for the drone becomes a minor issue.

As mentioned in another thread, I don't see the Mini as a must have for someone with a Mavic of some kind already but a very good starting place for someone looking to get their feet wet but not really needing or wanting g to pay for a higher level camera system.

Reactions: Mavic 57
I was super excited to add this to my fleet, but let me confirm some things first:

1. Do I understand correctly that you cannot operate this ultraportable ,"flying camera", super compact travel drone with your smartphone alone? I haven't seen anything in the promo materials that suggest you can and, in fact, I believe the FAQ suggests you need the controller. Is this true and, if so, how does that make any sense at all?

2. It also does not appear to support Gesture Control or Smart Capture and has no Follow Me functionality.

3. And it's a beginner-ish drone with absolutely no obstacle avoidance?

If all or any of these are true I don't see how this can be seen as an upgrade to the Spark. The size difference and realistic flight time just do not justify the convenience of traveling with the Spark and your just your phone (or no phone at all for that matter).

Any thoughts would be great.

Thanks

Yep, correct on all points. Add to that no manual camera controls either. Just point and shoot.

Wait a minute . . . are you saying that you cannot adjust the camera tilt from the controller?

Wait, what? No - I’m saying there’s no manual camera controls. So, you can’t change ISO, exposure, frame rate. Neither are their colour profiles, so no D Cinelike etc.

Ah. Ok. Even so. I had trouble sleeping last night trying to think of a way to explain to my wife why I needed this drone in my flight without her wanting to strangle me. Turns out that's not going to be an issue. This drone makes absolutely no sense to me at all. Waaaa Waaaa Waaaa.

Definitely not a Spark or Air killer to be sure.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
O'Ryan