DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

DJI Mavic Air Active Mode Follow Me. How to automatically change altitude?

Vera

Reactions
Hello, I am a novice user of Mavic Air. When using Active Mode - Follow Me mode - the drone follows me at the same altitude. I want the drone to change altitude too as I descend , for example when skiing. How can I set the drone to change altitude automatically while in Active Follow me mode, please? Thanks

Active Mode is Active Mode... Follow Me is something else.

The Air will change altitude up and down while in Active Mode, however it is some using the downward sensors and these only work up to 30 meters. I have tested its ability to change altitude while going downhill but not lower than 0 altitude (the homepoint). I've also only tested it at around 10' from the ground. I've not looked in a while but altitude change might only be effective up to 8 meters.

What you want the Air to do in this situation is not very practical. IMHO, the software is just not very robust when it comes to changing altitude.

Reactions: Air_Joe
The Mavic Air won't change altitude with you.

Yes it will. It _WILL_ lower it's altitude (even below the home point) as long as the downward sensors are working.
What sub mode of ActiveTrack are you using? Mine just flies straight while I'm on a decline.

Reactions: Vera
Hi tcope, I’m interested in your settings also, I’ve found with APAS enabled active track will ascend while following, when decending the Air remains at the same altitude. There are a lot of YouTube videos that also seem to indicate the same behaviour. Please advise as I’m looking to use this while snowboarding.

Yes it will. It _WILL_ lower it's altitude (even below the home point) as long as the downward sensors are working.

Do I need to change settings? As Mavic Air (active mode) didn’t change altitude lower when I skied downhill ... very confusing.

Do I need to change settings? As Mavic Air (active mode) didn’t change altitude lower when I skied downhill ... very confusing.
I'll post more. I'm out of town right now but made a quick video of it as confirmation.

One option is to use SmartCapture as it enables "Dynamic Home Point" (not available otherwise on the Air) and will follow you up and down, likely using the bottom sensors since it can't be further away than 7 meters in SmartCapture mode.

Reactions: JoeBWan
One option is to use SmartCapture as it enables "Dynamic Home Point" (not available otherwise on the Air) and will follow you up and down, likely using the bottom sensors since it can't be further away than 7 meters in SmartCapture mode.
SmatchCapture uses Active Track in that mode. So we are simply right back to using Active Track but with a means of control that no one should ever use... SmartCapture. SmartCapture is _terrible_ and can easily result in the loss of control of the Air.

Not really, it doesn't sound like you've used it or know much about it ? I have and have nothing bad to say about it.

Not really, it doesn't sound like you've used it or know much about it ? I have and have nothing bad to say about it.
SmartCapture does not use Active Track to follow? It does.

It is also the worse way to maintain control of the Air as it is iffy at best and requires that the controller no longer be connected to the drone. The OP would then need to hope control can be maintained with hand controls while skiing.

But again, this is about following a subject and yes, SmartCapture using Active Track to follow.

My comment was about this sweeping statement "SmartCapture is _terrible_ and can easily result in the loss of control of the Air." that applies to any autonomous flying mode.

As mentioned previously what makes SmartCapture useful for skiing and that you're apparently unaware of :
- SmartCapture follows terrain up and down, the only way to have that on the Air
- Enables Dynamic Home Point, only way to do it on the Air, so no need to jump on the RC to cancel RTH in case it loses you
- Will hover if it loses you so if it does just turn on the RC and bring it back

Obviously you don't want to be doing this on a crowded run between trees but again that applies to any autonomous flying mode.

As mentioned previously what makes SmartCapture useful for skiing and that you're apparently unaware of :
- SmartCapture follows terrain up and down, the only way to have that on the Air
- Enables Dynamic Home Point, only way to do it on the Air, so no need to jump on the RC to cancel RTH in case it loses you
- Will hover if it loses you so if it does just turn on the RC and bring it back
SmartCapture used this way is Active Track... but with no use of the controller. Using Active Track is Active Track with the ability to control the Air via remote control. So you are not gaining anything by using SmartControl… only loosing the ability to control the Air via RC signal and having to _hope_ that it can recognize your hand gestures wherever it is. SmartControl does not add any altitude adjustments that Active Control does not.

Seriously ? Instead of quoting a message, how about reading it ? I can't do it for you so I'll stop wasting my time. Hopefully more astute and open-minded readers will have learnt something about the usefulness of tracking with SmartCapture and will give it a try, conditions permitting of course.

Seriously ? Instead of quoting a message, how about reading it ? I can't do it for you so I'll stop wasting my time. Hopefully more astute and open-minded readers will have learnt something about the usefulness of tracking with SmartCapture and will give it a try, conditions permitting of course.
I did read what you posted. For example:
SmartCapture follows terrain up and down, the only way to have that on the Air

This is simply 100% incorrect. First, both Active Track and Terrain Follow follow the terrain up and down (so long as the downward sensors can sense the ground). Second, SmartCapture only follows the terrain when using Active Track to track an object. Following an object is not unique to SmartCapture. So , as mentioned, your information is incorrect.

So what you suggested was simply removing the controller from the equation and having the OP rely on hand gestures to control the Air.

I did read what you posted. For example:
SmartCapture follows terrain up and down, the only way to have that on the Air

This is simply 100% incorrect. First, both Active Track and Terrain Follow follow the terrain up and down (so long as the downward sensors can sense the ground). Second, SmartCapture only follows the terrain when using Active Track to track an object. Following an object is not unique to SmartCapture. So , as mentioned, your information is incorrect.

So what you suggested was simply removing the controller from the equation and having the OP rely on hand gestures to control the Air.

"Terrain Follow" is not available on the Mavic Air so it seems like you don't even own one or if you do are "confused" ? But hey don't let that stop you from arguing endlessly with people who speak from experience and who are actually trying to provide meaningful help to others on the forum based on that very experience. Mine has been excellent with SmartCapture (as described in detail above) so when you get a chance give it a try and then get back to us with some meaningful thoughts.

Last edited:
"Terrain Follow" is not available on the Mavic Air so it seems like you don't even own one or if you do are "confused" ? But hey don't let that stop you from arguing endlessly with people who speak from experience and who are actually trying to provide meaningful help to others on the forum based on that very experience. Mine has been excellent with SmartCapture (as described in detail above) so when you get a chance give it a try and then get back to us with some meaningful thoughts.
I bought the Air shortly after it was released. I currently own a Phantom 4, Mavic Pro and Mavic Air.

Sorry that I was expanding the statement outside of the Air. I know that can be confusing. But again, you are incorrect that SmartControl is the only way to get the Air to change Altitude when following, SmartControl uses Active Track for tracking so what you propose is only to give up use of the controller and instead attempt to fly the Air via hand gestures.

Ah so that's it you were confused and now you're sorry but you're still making sweeping statements...how about finding a few YouTube videos where Active Track follows down on a Pro or Air (or Spark) for a start ?

Obviously SmartCapture uses Active Track, no one's ever said it didn't, the fact is that it SYSTEMATICALLY follows up and down, likely because it has to stay close by design. Point is it does and you don't have to worry about it.
Also it adds UNIQUE options that you can't seem to get your head around :
- Dynamic Home Point which is crucial for skiing, if it loses you, it hovers. There is no other way to have that feature on the AIR.
- You can activate it without needing to have a phone on and connected to the RC, very impractical when skiing even more so when running or bike riding. All you need to do is carry the RC and fire it up if it stops following (and hovering) for some reason.

Reactions: JoeBWan
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bsplum