DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Follow Me Drone Recommendations

MtnFlyer

Reactions
Looking for a drone to use around the farm to record some farming activities.

Nothing fancy…

Just want the drone to follow me around, maybe circling as it does, walking, running a tractor, etc.

Any particular DJI drone you would recommend?

What mode would I use? Active track or POI?
Thanks!

Reactions: Cafguy
Most of the DJI drones would do a perfect job.- Just remember you need to be watching the drone while flying it not running the tractor ...Just sayin.
Anyways All of the modes provided by DJI would be useful in one way or another as you "document" your Activities.
Don't forget to post the vids here!

Last edited:
Im thinking farm country means open space and windy so my direction would be towards the Air 2S , which is just is a drone a little more robust than the mini series drones and you can get the Rescue Jacket for it so you can land that drone anywhere on the farm , mud, water, high grass , ect.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly in the Rain. Land on the Water, an never underestimate the Air 2S

Reactions: Cafguy
My nephew-in-law prefers Autel drones for following him when he goes dirt-biking, because they follow a transponder you carry. I'm guessing your tractor doesn't go as fast as a dirt bike, so DJI drones should be able to track you without issue, but Autel might be worth looking at.

I would go for a cheaper drone, because it sounds like you don't really need any fancy features beyond Active Track. Maybe a Mini 3, or an Air 2.

Reactions: Phantomrain.org
Looking for a drone to use around the farm to record some farming activities.

Nothing fancy…

Just want the drone to follow me around, maybe circling as it does, walking, running a tractor, etc.

Any particular DJI drone you would recommend?

What mode would I use? Active track or POI?
Thanks!
The only drone I am aware of that is 85-95% reliable as a free flying selfie stick is the Skydio 2 because that was what it was specifically designed to do. Beats DJI drones Hands down for autonomous flight and has far better O/A into the bargain. You can still buy a reliable 2nd hand unit and you'll spend considerably less.

Reactions: 4006448 and okw
The only drone I am aware of that is 85-95% reliable as a free flying selfie stick is the Skydio 2 because that was what it was specifically designed to do. Beats DJI drones Hands down for autonomous flight and has far better O/A into the bargain. You can still buy a reliable 2nd hand unit and you'll spend considerably less.
Totally agree with this. I got my Mini 3 Pro after reading Active track did a great job with follow-me, wrong! My M3P can't even follow a One-wheel rider going less than 10mph. It'll lock on and follow for a bit and when the One-wheel makes a turn more than about 45°, the drone looses subject lock and stops. Trying it for my originally intended use of following my dirtbike was a complete failure. Realizing it wouldn't do a very good job over about 20-25mph, I had still read it did a decent job, but no dice. I should've got the Skydio. Ymmv.

DJI improved the tracking on the Mini 4 Pro and the Air 3 - they both work way better than past DJI drones. You can see lots of videos on YouTube testing them. But like Felix Le Chat and JDubyaM stated, it is hard to beat the Skydio2 (starting at $1099). I'm not sure that the DJI will follow something as big as a tractor. It will automatically "see" and track objects like humans, bicycles and cars, but not sure about big vehicles. Try it and let us know.

Reactions: NoBozos and 4006448
Why has nobody mentioned Litchi in this thread ? As far as I understand it, Litchi can follow an Android device. I have not tested this yet but I plan to test it, maybe next summer.
The Litchi follow-me features are naturally available only for those DJI drones that have the SDK available.

Reactions: tribar
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
volidas