DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

DJI Mavic Mini used to catch contractor polluting protected wetlands.

mikebest66

Reactions
I have been periodically checking into a construction site in my neighborhood and taking drone footage. I have been posting the updates to the neighborhood Facebook. I got a tip on Friday evening that a large amount of turbid water from the construction site was entering the creek from a neighbor who lives across the creek. I jumped into my truck and captured these images. It made the news 3 days in a row. This news report done by a local news channel is using some of my drone footage.This news report done by a local news channel is using some of my drone footage . DJI_0111.JPGDJI_0107.JPG

Great job. Clean water is what pays my bills so we use drones to document what folks are doing with it and to it in my area as well. So far nothing so obvious as your footage. Unfortunately in my area it is the government that does most of the damage hiding behind the shield of progress.

Hey, great capture.
That's a pretty well made containment dam, all plastic up surrounding the area.
What sort of containment is it ? Looks like tailings or something fairly commercial.

So it's pretty obvious, they are just using the pump to empty out the water through that yellow hose, straight the the outside of the area.
From there it goes into the wetlands ?

I think whoever set the regulations for the bunding is going to be giving them a call sometime very soon.

Do people need 107 certification to give footage to the news? The news makes money. Or if the original footage was taken for recreational reasons does it matter?

Someone needs to get a good water sample of that before it hits the creek and get it to the EPA.

Reactions: tlswift58
I had a similar issue near my house. We didn't know what the effluent was so my neighbor and I called the EPA. However, they never came out to sample it. I even asked them, if I should take a sample of it before it dissipates. But, the EPA individual I spoke with said it's an algae bloom and their is nothing they will do further to investigate it. It doesn't look like algae to me. It almost looks like a leaking septic system. But what do I know.efluent2.JPGefluent.JPGDJI_0160.JPGDJI_0163.JPG

Awesome, thanks for sharing!

That looks like the same algae that we have on our lake. Keep all water dogs out of the lake until it goes away. If you fish, do not eat the fish. This stuff usually goes away as the seasons progress.

That looks like the same algae that we have on our lake. Keep all water dogs out of the lake until it goes away. If you fish, do not eat the fish. This stuff usually goes away as the seasons progress.
It's been gone since the rainy season started here in Florida. Now the Canals are filled to maximum capacity. Here is a picture of some of the fish we have. We even have 3-4 foot long tarpon in these canals. They are a thrill to catch. I think the fish in the pics are Tilapia, but not sure. They are about 12 inches long.DJI_0147.JPGDJI_0148.JPG

It's been gone since the rainy season started here in Florida. Now the Canals are filled to maximum capacity. Here is a picture of some of the fish we have. We even have 3-4 foot long tarpon in these canals. They are a thrill to catch. I think the fish in the pics are Tilapia, but not sure. They are about 12 inches long.View attachment 132214View attachment 132215
Mullet. In every ocean on earth. Everything eats them at some time in their lifecycle from spawn to adult. So now you know. ?

It's been gone since the rainy season started here in Florida. Now the Canals are filled to maximum capacity. Here is a picture of some of the fish we have. We even have 3-4 foot long tarpon in these canals. They are a thrill to catch. I think the fish in the pics are Tilapia, but not sure. They are about 12 inches long.View attachment 132214View attachment 132215

Those LOOK like Tilapia, hard to be sure form an overhead shot . . . just wanted to ask, you don't eat those there do you ?
They are supposed to be very bad for your health.

Do people need 107 certification to give footage to the news? The news makes money. Or if the original footage was taken for recreational reasons does it matter?
You do not need a 107 to donate footage from a recreational flight. The issue is that if you fly to capture footage with the intent of sending it in, your flight is piercing the bubble of the exception for recreational flight and it automatically becomes a 14 CFR §107 flight.

You do not need a 107 to donate footage from a recreational flight. The issue is that if you fly to capture footage with the intent of sending it in, your flight is piercing the bubble of the exception for recreational flight and it automatically becomes a 14 CFR §107 flight.
Ok that being said..I take pictures of sunsets/sunrises to send to our local weather stations which some get aired most don’t with my name mentioned. Now I’m just doing it for fun but do have the intention of sending one in if any good. They even ask for them on
their site .
9C26E801-E1D4-44E3-B32F-A484E15203F7.png I’m not 107 so am I wrong ?‍♂️

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Albrecht0803