DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

DJI Mavic pilots - Australia

I have just been checking out that website you posted. There is a section that says the following, and I quote...

"Commercial uses include: when you upload your footage or images to YouTube, - websites or - social media channels - any other online video platform."

Does this mean that if I put a video on Facebook or YouTube I cross the line into commercial use???

I think the rule writers need to understand the real world.
Imagine the millions of photos about to be published by the exploding use of 'flying cameras'
What if I give a photo to a friend or someone who puts it on social media etc. Does the photographer become a 'commercial pilot'?

I think we should visit our local politicians about this..

The normal definition of Commerce is buying and selling goods especially on a large scale.
(But WOW, I just learned something- check the dictionary for more!)

Reactions: BeeDrone
Imagine the millions of photos about to be published by the exploding use of 'flying cameras'
What if I give a photo to a friend or someone who puts it on social media etc. Does the photographer become a 'commercial pilot'?

The normal definition of Commerce is buying and selling goods especially on a large scale.

I know right

I've got an ARN with CASA and also applied through them with an intention to fly in certain states. Have paperwork and reg numbers from them which hopefully I can wave in front of people to get permission in other areas.
I could be wrong but I would think that you would still need the paperwork signed by the minister for WA

I have just been checking out that website you posted. There is a section that says the following, and I quote... "Commercial uses include: when you upload your footage or images to YouTube, - websites or - social media channels - any other online video platform." Does this mean that if I put a video on Facebook or YouTube I cross the line into commercial use???
I assume they would use CASA's definition for Commercial use, and since I had to get this clarified by CASA recently for an article I was writing I'll put their definition here "The sport or recreational set of rules is not “non-commercial”. The purpose of the flight must be for fun and enjoyment only, if there is a purpose then that falls under Commercial Use. However if you fly for fun, then upload to YouTube and put advertisements on your video then that still falls under the recreational use."

Reactions: enohp15

Couldn't agree more.

I felt like we should have one central location for Australian Mavic Flyers, so that we don't feel so isolated.

So, Aussie flyers, introduce yourself, state where you are from and feel free to ask or comment on anything DJI Mavic.

I'm from Adelaide by the way.
Hi Mate ! I am from North Richmond, NSW, Australia. Had my Mavic for a week and it is awesome, tried all Intelligent modes and they are awesome, I use the DJI go 4 app & Litchi, Litchi is great for waypoint mode, and you can use any VR goggle with Litchi also. As I live at the base of the Blue mountains just outside the restricted area of Richmond Air force Base its a great spot to learn to fly my Mavic, I also attached a GPS Trackr device on to my Mavic so can always track it down.

welcome AussieMac, what sort of GPS tracker device are you using ?

Thanks AM, I'll go take a look at them

Hi Mate ! I am from North Richmond, NSW, Australia. Had my Mavic for a week and it is awesome, tried all Intelligent modes and they are awesome, I use the DJI go 4 app & Litchi, Litchi is great for waypoint mode, and you can use any VR goggle with Litchi also. As I live at the base of the Blue mountains just outside the restricted area of Richmond Air force Base its a great spot to learn to fly my Mavic, I also attached a GPS Trackr device on to my Mavic so can always track it down.

Hi AussieMac, we are almost neighbours. If your at North Richmond then your still in RAAF restricted air space R469 so be careful you don't have a close encounter with a C130.

Their airspace covers the whole NW quadrant right out to beyond Lithgow.

Reactions: AussieMac
Hi AussieMac, we are almost neighbours. If your at North Richmond then your still in RAAF restricted air space R469 so be careful you don't have a close encounter with a C130.

Their airspace covers the whole NW quadrant right out to beyond Lithgow.
Hi mate! thanks for your message, My Casa app shows I am just on the fringe of the restricted ZoneThumbswayup

well today casa was happily announcing that has fined a couple of drone users for more than 3k in fines.
And typically drone haters starting to like and re-tweet CASA tweet.

I dont mind following the rules, but its very annoying the feel that our hobby feel like a criminal activity. Its a bit sad, as many of us want to capture only nice scenery and produce videos for ourselves only.

Reactions: Auspete and EJay
Hi I'm from Sawtell just south of Coffs Harbour in NSW. I purchased a Mavic combo several days ago and I'm just working through all the manuals before I fly

All the best with your new hobby - I'm sure you will be blown away with the photography and technical capabilities of your new baby.
Glad to see you are doing the theory stuff first. If I could make one suggestion and that is if something appears to go wrong when you're flying just take your fingers off the sticks and the Mavic will just hover whilst you slowly work thru what you need to do (ie don't panick)
And remember if you lose perception of which way you are flying then just press the return to home.
Happy flying
(I've been flying DJI gear for 3 1/2 and never had a problem) - I'm in Adelaide by the way

Reactions: Sawtybt
All the best with your new hobby - I'm sure you will be blown away with the photography and technical capabilities of your new baby.
Glad to see you are doing the theory stuff first. If I could make one suggestion and that is if something appears to go wrong when you're flying just take your fingers off the sticks and the Mavic will just hover whilst you slowly work thru what you need to do (ie don't panick)
And remember if you lose perception of which way you are flying then just press the return to home.
Happy flying
(I've been flying DJI gear for 3 1/2 and never had a problem) - I'm in Adelaide by the way
Thanks Auspete

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
testtest