DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

DJI Mavic pilots - Australia

From the Sydney metro area, with a 1-week old mavic pro.

Have flown around work at La Perouse and Phillip Bay a couple of times.

This area is a huge No Fly Zone. Due to the proximity of Sydney airport and two nearby helipads you will most definitely get a very large fine if you're found to be flying there.

You can see what airspace you're allowed to fly in by using CASA's "Can I Fly There?" app/website.
Can I Fly There?

This area is a huge No Fly Zone. Due to the proximity of Sydney airport and two nearby helipads you will most definitely get a very large fine if you're found to be flying there.

You can see what airspace you're allowed to fly in by using CASA's "Can I Fly There?" app/website.
Can I Fly There?

Oh, thanks for that. I had been using another app (UAV forecast) with 5.5km exclusion zones around airports and 1.6km around heliports. While the app may have calculated this accurately, I think it failed to take into account the extended no fly zones for approach and departure paths!

From the CASA app it looks like there are small slivers of land where flight is permitted (45m max) at La Perouse (one is near Cruwee cove, one of my favourite locations!), and in Malabar, but these are very small and wouldn't really satisfy my urge to drone.

What are your favourite places to fly, BlakPhoenix, and others?

Last edited:
Oh, thanks for that. I had been using another app (UAV forecast) with 5.5km exclusion zones around airports and 1.6km around heliports. While the app may have calculated this accurately, I think it failed to take into account the extended no fly zones for approach and departure paths!

From the CASA app it looks like there are small slivers of land where flight is permitted (45m max) at La Perouse (one is near Cruwee cove, one of my favourite locations!), and in Malabar, but these are very small and wouldn't really satisfy my urge to drone.

It's a shame too as there's some beautiful area's around there (looking at you Bare Island Fort).

If I'm staying in Sydney I usually head East or North. There's a lot of lovely areas between North Bondi and Watsons Bay that allow you to get to 120m over the water/cliffs. If you want something closer to your work you can hit up Maroubra Beach/Jack Canny Memorial Park, just be careful of the aircraft that fly along the Bondi 5 route. The North Shore is much easier to fly around (aside from a few helipads here and there), so you can get lots of beach shots, etc. :)

i am from melbourne. north east. intending getting mavic pro in a couple of months. have phantom 3 standard, which is currently out of action; hoping i can get it repaired.
Any tips when getting a mavic? any must haves?

i am from melbourne. north east. intending getting mavic pro in a couple of months. have phantom 3 standard, which is currently out of action; hoping i can get it repaired.
Any tips when getting a mavic? any must haves?

I am pleased with the fly more combo. Glad I got it.
(Extra 2 batteries, car charger, carry bag etc - full details in the product description)

New Sydney flyer here! got my drone in february this year, really started getting into aerial photography and cinematography just recently. Still very new to it all, learning as i go but man is the mavic a great little thing for a beginner!

Would be cool to meet up and see more pilots though in the near future.

Another Sydney newbie here mainly flying around the Northern beaches. Nice clear skies up here :)

There are also restricted fly zones for all of Sydney Harbour. See CASA app.

Gents, I am new to the forum. I am in Perth and looking to get the Mavic Pro. Any good deals locally?

I dont need flymore package - have purchased everything already...

There is some good deals as grey imports but I dont want the hassle of warranty returns.

Also, for the Perth guys, I see two Mavic's most weekends between Trigg and Hillarys. I guess as long as your 30m away from people, your okay to fly?

Gents, I am new to the forum. I am in Perth and looking to get the Mavic Pro. Any good deals locally?

I dont need flymore package - have purchased everything already...

There is some good deals as grey imports but I dont want the hassle of warranty returns.

Also, for the Perth guys, I see two Mavic's most weekends between Trigg and Hillarys. I guess as long as your 30m away from people, your okay to fly?

Perth has a lot of NFZ's due to military use. A good start is to look at CASA's Can I Fly There? app. This will show you the basics of the airspace. Once you know the airspace you plan to fly in is ok, then you need to check to see if you are able to takeoff/pilot/land lawfully. This means checking with parks, etc to make sure they don't have no-drone laws (eg. NSW Parks say you cannot takeoff/control/land a drone in their parks, even though you can fly in the airspace over them). Finally you need to make sure to stay 30m away from people, buildings, and make sure you don't fly as a hazard.

Hi just a quick intro. I'm in Melbourne, got mine 2 weeks ago. Business travel been keeping me frustratingly away from flying.
This weekend down at Philip Island 40-50kph winds and about 6deg - so still not flying :( Keeping busy with YouTube tutorials though.

Thanks. Sounds like it may be a city location along the Yarra. Nice scenery, watch out for flight regulations bylaws etc.
I was down at Phillip Island this weekend, impressed with how the Mavic handled some pretty heavy wind conditions.

Thanks. Sounds like it may be a city location along the Yarra. Nice scenery, watch out for flight regulations bylaws etc.
I was down at Phillip Island this weekend, impressed with how the Mavic handled some pretty heavy wind conditions.
Hiya Bigozpete,
I'm heading over to Phillip Island in a couple of weeks so wondering where you flew. I'm a bit anxious of falling foul of all the reserves/parks restrictions.

Thanks. Sounds like it may be a city location along the Yarra. Nice scenery, watch out for flight regulations bylaws etc..

All good it was Abbottsford way, dead end area and nice little linear park with open areas.
Must say the spark is quiet !
A rather aggressive magpie ended the session when it got close five bombing the drone, 'tis the season.

Add another Perth New Mavic User to the list! Been flying other drones up to now and decided to pull the trigger on the Mavic Pro Fly More.
Definitely not new to RC been involved with for the last 30 odd! Now into drones ans well as my club West Coast Remote Control Trucks which is based around 1/14 scale prime movers and trailers!
Got it all set up and charged and mother nature decided to play hardball and roll a couple of storms through Perth.
Oh well, as they say ....... There is always tomorrow!

Reactions: grantallan
Hi all had my mavic since March been a blast flying it based in Sydney getting ready for more flying around summers coming.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maniac2000