DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

DJI Mavic pilots - Australia

This area is a huge No Fly Zone. Due to the proximity of Sydney airport and two nearby helipads you will most definitely get a very large fine if you're found to be flying there.

You can see what airspace you're allowed to fly in by using CASA's "Can I Fly There?" app/website.
Can I Fly There?

Can I Fly There App is no longer working properly.Areas are all mixed up , CASA did it again, they screw things up badly.

Can I Fly There App is no longer working properly.Areas are all mixed up , CASA did it again, they screw things up badly.

It was a bit erratic the other day, I literally saw no zones on it.
But a new update in the last week, all appears normal with all NFZs appearing, apparently all up to date.

Not CASA's fault I think it is outsourced to Drone Compiler, but I did the recent update and no problems from the app for me that I can see.

Hiya Bigozpete,
I'm heading over to Phillip Island in a couple of weeks so wondering where you flew. I'm a bit anxious of falling foul of all the reserves/parks restrictions.
Head out to Pyramid Rock. Great location. There’s also a path off to the right that runs along the cliffs.

Not CASA's fault I think it is outsourced to Drone Compiler, but I did the recent update and no problems from the app for me that I can see.

I had an issue with Drone Complier the other day (their app, also free from app store, and CASA links to it), it just didn't want to work for some reason.
It's my preferred app because overlapping zones are easier to see detail like streets etc on DC, it's much darker on the Can I fly There ? app.

Anyway, CIFT worked fine so I'll keep both on the phone for a while yet to have a back up.

Reactions: ccar
Hi everybody.

I am a newbie to drones and the Mavic in particular. I live in Western Sydney. Enjoying discovering what this thing can do.

Graham

Reactions: MAvic_South_Oz
Welcome Graham, you will enjoy yourself here, do you have the "Can I fly here" app from CASA, very useful especially flying in Sydney, I live in WA.

This site is the best for drone info

Hi there

Got the app, and have been using it to check if I am allowed to fly in certain areas. So far have been lucky. Last weekend was in Port Macquarie but was at very low altitude so to hit any other aircraft they would have to fly almost at ground level. It was a motorcycle meet where we had all the bikes parked together and I went over the top of them in tripod mode.

Sounds like you had a great weekend, I think there are not many places you can fly in Sydney but outside of the city should be ok, would be interested in seeing the bike footage

HI there All. From Brisbane Australia and had mavic since September. No problems at all up to now, only a loose battery which JB HiFi swapped out without problems. Glad I discovered it ( I have 5 Batteries) before the Mavic became a free fall brick as with some posts I have seen. Just wondering how I can update this battery without updating the FW on the Mavic or RC. I've heard some horrible stories about the latest FW update Released just this month. Since this latest FW does not include a battery update it must be possible to update the new battery to what my present batteries are and that was the last firmware update before the November 2017 release. Thanks in advance anyone. Cheers for now

Hi all.

From Melbourne (North Suburbs). Ordered my MPP. Still waiting for delivery hopefully next week.

I was in Broome, WA last Xmas and am going back again next month. Was looking at taking some nice shots of teh scenery, beaches, cliffs etc. But looking on the "Can I fly there app", the whole place is a no fly zone. Looks like I will be using my normal DSLR camera then.

HI there All. From Brisbane Australia and had mavic since September. No problems at all up to now, only a loose battery which JB HiFi swapped out without problems. Glad I discovered it ( I have 5 Batteries) before the Mavic became a free fall brick as with some posts I have seen. Just wondering how I can update this battery without updating the FW on the Mavic or RC. I've heard some horrible stories about the latest FW update Released just this month. Since this latest FW does not include a battery update it must be possible to update the new battery to what my present batteries are and that was the last firmware update before the November 2017 release. Thanks in advance anyone. Cheers for now

Hey Alan, mate to my knowledge the firmware update this month, (/100) is fine, its the go4 (.18) update that gives grief to Android.
As you rightly say, even though DJI said there was, it seems there wasn't a battery upgrade with this update. I would imagine that you could simply plug your new battery in and it will upgrade itself? Or inform you of the need to do so?

Hi all.

From Melbourne (North Suburbs). Ordered my MPP. Still waiting for delivery hopefully next week.

I was in Broome, WA last Xmas and am going back again next month. Was looking at taking some nice shots of teh scenery, beaches, cliffs etc. But looking on the "Can I fly there app", the whole place is a no fly zone. Looks like I will be using my normal DSLR camera then.

Friends of ours just had a week up there, loved it too.

Yeah that airport is pretty much in town (!!) and would be pretty busy too with mining and tourists . . .
It might be worth talking to the airport, if they have no flights coming in or out early one morning, they might say ok to fly dawn down at Cable Bch or something ?
Technically though, it is only CASA that normally grants approvals for such, usually only to RePL holders, and under loads of rules / applications etc.

There is the end of the peninsula south of town that is ok to fly, but just a couple of km of coastline, the wharf might be interesting to video.

Cable Beach would have been nice to get, but that is right in the NFZ :/

Suppose if you have a vehicle you can go north or south into the less restricted area, or further right out of all the zones.

Have fun anyway, I reckon if ou get some DSLR and at least a little Mavic footage, you should be able to put together a decent little trip video.

I felt like we should have one central location for Australian Mavic Flyers, so that we don't feel so isolated.

So, Aussie flyers, introduce yourself, state where you are from and feel free to ask or comment on anything DJI Mavic.

Hi All... This is my first post!
I have been watching this fabulous site and I am very impressed with the quality and the helpfulness of all the members and commend you all for your enthusiasm.
I live on the Gold Coast in Australia and am eagerly waiting for my MPP Fly More Combo to arrive (Have been told any day now for 6 weeks by the suppliers)
I don't have a lot of questions as I have been reading and watching anything that I can lay my hands on regarding my first flight.
BUT, I have 2 questions.
Has anyone ever put together an acronym dictionary for flying DJI products?
When my Mavic arrives, will it have all the connections to the new IPhone 8 Plus?
FYI.. I am 67 and soon retiring and my main interest with the MPP is taking and editing videos during my travels for personal use.
Cheers
Gyroman222

Yes
My package (all would) had a connector for both Android and iPhone.

All the best with your purchase Gyroman222, you won’t regret it [emoji3]
There is lots of information on this site to help you.
My suggestion is to checkout a lot of info and YouTube, and make progress steadily at your own pace. Be extra cautious for first few flights.
Good luck

Friends of ours just had a week up there, loved it too.

Yeah that airport is pretty much in town (!!) and would be pretty busy too with mining and tourists . . .
It might be worth talking to the airport, if they have no flights coming in or out early one morning, they might say ok to fly dawn down at Cable Bch or something ?
Technically though, it is only CASA that normally grants approvals for such, usually only to RePL holders, and under loads of rules / applications etc.

There is the end of the peninsula south of town that is ok to fly, but just a couple of km of coastline, the wharf might be interesting to video.

Cable Beach would have been nice to get, but that is right in the NFZ :/

Suppose if you have a vehicle you can go north or south into the less restricted area, or further right out of all the zones.

Have fun anyway, I reckon if ou get some DSLR and at least a little Mavic footage, you should be able to put together a decent little trip video.

Thanks. Might give that a try. Such a nice coastline up there.

Hey Alan, mate to my knowledge the firmware update this month, (/100) is fine, its the go4 (.18) update that gives grief to Android.
As you rightly say, even though DJI said there was, it seems there wasn't a battery upgrade with this update. I would imagine that you could simply plug your new battery in and it will upgrade itself? Or inform you of the need to do so?
Hi Simmo
Thanks for that. I did connect the mavic to the PC using DJI Assistant and it brought up the expected Current Vs Upgrade option but also added that there was an incompatibility with some components and the option to upgrade that. I chose 'Confirm' to that particular upgrade and it took not even 3 minutes and said the upgrade was complete. I could see after that upgrade ( ie the battery) that the Main Mavic firmware was still the one I had and the optioin to upgrade was still there. At least we know that one can upgrade the battery in this case without loading the new firmware. Thanks for the heads up that it's the Go4 App that's the problem with Android and not the firmware. Does this mean that I can update the firmware on the mavic and RC now but without updating the Go 4 app on my android ( using latest Galaxy note 8 at moment without any problems at all ). Without seeming to be a conspiracy theorist, it makes one wonder if the problem with the latest Go4 app update and android is not on purpose, ie to push Drone geeks that are using android to migrate to Apple. Remember, More sinister things have been done by big companies to date in the quest for market share.
Cheers Alan

Yes
My package (all would) had a connector for both Android and iPhone.

All the best with your purchase Gyroman222, you won’t regret it [emoji3]
There is lots of information on this site to help you.
My suggestion is to checkout a lot of info and YouTube, and make progress steadily at your own pace. Be extra cautious for first few flights.
Good luck
Thanks EJay.. I will post again when it arrives.

Reactions: EJay
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maniac2000