DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

DJI Mavic pilots - Australia

while they continue to make silly decisions like blanket VLOS requirements, then I have very little faith that their thinking in any way represents the casual enthusiast hobby.

Most of the problems I have are with ultra low flying aircraft from Lilydale airport. They crest a rise behind my property at under 100 feet AGL (they are supposed to over 500 feet because I am not on the approach path and over 5km from the airport).

I get much the same thing with illegally low aircraft approaching Moorabbin airport. I've got video of the top surfaces of wings, while I was well sub-400ft, and well outside the radius of the airport. and if there was an incident, guess who would be blamed?

while they continue to make silly decisions like blanket VLOS requirements, then I have very little faith that their thinking in any way represents the casual enthusiast hobby.
i guess your faith is what it is, however im telling you they are not a bunch of uninformed suit wearing dudes. They are working on this. What makes their job harder is the literaly 1000s of complaints people send in via the casa website that have to be followed up on. This sucks so many resources and man hours.

Last edited:
i guess your faith is what it is, however im telling you they are not a bunch of uninformed suit wearing dudes. They are working on this. What makes their job harder is the literaly 1000s of complaints people send in via the casa website that have to be followed up on. This sucks so many resources and man hours.

if it diverts them from making additional dumb decisions then I am all for it.

Hi from Stoneville, WA.

Built my first three drones from scratch being a tricopter, a quad and a 12 motor multicopter. Had great fun doing it but flight time of all of them sucked. These latest DJI drone products are just so **** amazing! Finally decided to join the dark side and purchased a Mavic Pro.

Also used to fly weight shift microlights but since my kids came along and after losing several flying acquaintances through accidents, have become more risk adverse. With drones I get to enjoy my flying from the safety of the ground.

Stoneville. Where is that. Im from WA (although left home 35 years ago) and I haven't heard of it

Hi, complete newb from Perth WA Haven't even received by Mavic Air yet! Just wondering where to fly the drone. Have already downloaded the official Govn app about where is safe to fly.

There are heaps of places to fly. "Can i fly there" shows most of the details you need. Air map will show national parks where you are not allowed to fly but dont take notice of airspace restrictions as it is very inaccurate.

Also many local councils ban flying in parks but the legality of these bans is questionable. Mandurah city had legal advice is that hithey did not have such powers.

I am about to head of to the mid west to film wildflowers. Thousand of miles of open space to fly.

Reactions: born2drone
Thanks Bushie
Looking forward to this new hobby.
Does the limited battery life cause many issues?

Hello All,

One week old magic pro pilot from Kurrajong Heights, NSW. Bought mine duty free on the way to Fiji last week and have been having a ball ever since.

I’ve got an old phantom 3S as well but the mavic is chalk and cheese. Looking forward to chatting with you all.........

Is there a thread where we can share our Aussie photos etc?

Keith

Hello All,

One week old magic pro pilot from Kurrajong Heights, NSW. Bought mine duty free on the way to Fiji last week and have been having a ball ever since.

I’ve got an old phantom 3S as well but the mavic is chalk and cheese. Looking forward to chatting with you all.........

Keith

yes you can post anything here

Reactions: ssvdh66
Does the limited battery life cause many issues?

I don't think so because I have three batteries. You're legally required to keep the drone within VLOS which the battery is easily able to handle. I've taken it far and done some nice timelapse photography on traffic on bridges.

Reactions: clogger
I'm glad daylight saving is coming to an end in NSW soon. I have barely flown my drone since it began because on weekends, I often am in the gym until 5 pm.

Um ... daylight savings hasn’t started yet, do you mean you are glad it will be starting soon (in NSW, we don’t get it in Queensland as it fades the curtains )

Hello All,

Keith

There are also a few Facebook sites where members post their pics and videos.

eg - https://www.facebook.com/search/top/?q=new drone owners australia

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kmikebennett