DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

DJI Mavic pilots - Australia

Greetings from Bris Vegas. I've had my Mavic Pro for a couple of months and am loving it. Like @CloudWarrior I used to fly hang gliders but am liking the "remote" aspect of flying drones due to the greatly reduced risk to life and limb :)

As fishing is my main recreational passion I am keen to talk to anyone who has had experience using their drones to drop baits off surf beaches.

Thanks Bushie
Looking forward to this new hobby.
Does the limited battery life cause many issues?

By more batteries...loads more fun...bought combo pack for MP so after draining my 3 batteries that will be close to 1 1/2 hours of flying if not in sports mode...plenty time and fun to take videos or photos

Reactions: clogger
Greetings from Bris Vegas. I've had my Mavic Pro for a couple of months and am loving it. Like @CloudWarrior I used to fly hang gliders but am liking the "remote" aspect of flying drones due to the greatly reduced risk to life and limb :)

As fishing is my main recreational passion I am keen to talk to anyone who has had experience using their drones to drop baits off surf beaches.

I use mine for fishing.
Just attach a hook to the underside to hold the line , fly out , turn around and reverse and the line slips off.
Just make sure you have your rod laying down so the line doesn't go near the props and loosen off the drag rather than releasing the bale and getting tangles.

Reactions: deleted member 877
I use mine for fishing.
Just attach a hook to the underside to hold the line , fly out , turn around and reverse and the line slips off.
Just make sure you have your rod laying down so the line doesn't go near the props and loosen off the drag rather than releasing the bale and getting tangles.

That's great advice - many thanks Phill !!

Reactions: Phill
I felt like we should have one central location for Australian Mavic Flyers, so that we don't feel so isolated.

So, Aussie flyers, introduce yourself, state where you are from and feel free to ask or comment on anything DJI Mavic.

I'm from Adelaide by the way.
Located in Home Hill North Queensland small country town

Hello All,

One week old magic pro pilot from Kurrajong Heights, NSW. Bought mine duty free on the way to Fiji last week and have been having a ball ever since.

I’ve got an old phantom 3S as well but the mavic is chalk and cheese. Looking forward to chatting with you all.........

Is there a thread where we can share our Aussie photos etc?

Keith
Hi Keith,
How much did it cost duty free. I'm going overseas at Xmas and wish to purchase one as well. Hope you're enjoying it.

Depends on where you are going but you will prob get a better deal buying it overseas

Hello from Shellharbour
needed a new hobby after giving up enduro riding, wife says I'm to reckless and old to keep riding, and after breaking a few ribs last year and getting a angle grinder disc stuck in my head a few months ago, I think she might be right. so I went out today a bought myself a mavic 2 zoom. looking forward to all the good advice on this forum to keep my expensive toy safe.

Hello from Shellharbour
needed a new hobby after giving up enduro riding, wife says I'm to reckless and old to keep riding, and after breaking a few ribs last year and getting a angle grinder disc stuck in my head a few months ago, I think she might be right. so I went out today a bought myself a mavic 2 zoom. looking forward to all the good advice on this forum to keep my expensive toy safe.

G'day Mate
Sounds like it was time for a change. Thumbswayup
I'm 65 and sold my ZZR1100 for similar reasons.

Last edited:
Hello from Shellharbour

Hi, I’m from Towradgi. Same boat. Was into Long distance m’bike rides. Now unable to ride due to a number of factors latest one having epileptic seizure recently. Fortunate to have a friend into photography so still able to get out with camera gear and drone on regular basis.
Probably see you around locally. Just look for two old codgers either on the beaches or in the bush.

has anyone taken out insurance on there drone with there home insurance, I rang my insurer and they will cover me for theft, loss, accidental damage outside the home if I change my policy to top cover, it will cost me a extra $20 a month. do u guys know a better way to cover it?

Reactions: noosaguy
has anyone taken out insurance on there drone with there home insurance, I rang my insurer and they will cover me for theft, loss, accidental damage outside the home if I change my policy to top cover, it will cost me a extra $20 a month. do u guys know a better way to cover it?

I have all of my home insurance with Shannons and they cover it for all of the above as part of my contents insurance at no extra cost.
They won't cover it for personal liability though.

can someone help me with the no fly zones, I live in a NFZ according to the app i cant I fly here, does this mean the mavic 2 will not work in my home? I have attached photos of the zones.Screenshot_20181110-074227_Can I Fly There.jpg

Attachments

• Screenshot_20181110-074250_Can I Fly There.jpg
    Screenshot_20181110-074250_Can I Fly There.jpg
    493.2 KB · Views: 13
looks like you are in the flight path of the airport, so to answer your question I would not attempt to fly there

Hi, I’m from Towradgi. Same boat. Was into Long distance m’bike rides. Now unable to ride due to a number of factors latest one having epileptic seizure recently. Fortunate to have a friend into photography so still able to get out with camera gear and drone on regular basis.
Probably see you around locally. Just look for two old codgers either on the beaches or in the bush.
hey buddy do u know anything about the no fly zones in the area, I am in a red zone because of albion pk airport, does that mean my drone wont fly even in my back yard, and what happens if I accidently fly into a no go zone, will it force land it, or just stop? have been asking dji and others on the forum, but need locals advice.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20181110-074227_Can I Fly There.jpg
    Screenshot_20181110-074227_Can I Fly There.jpg
    812.6 KB · Views: 8
  • Screenshot_20181110-074250_Can I Fly There.jpg
    Screenshot_20181110-074250_Can I Fly There.jpg
    493.2 KB · Views: 10
It will fly and you can do as you please, however you will be breaking the law and ‘could’ be fined. Also not a good look for other pilots who do the right thing.

Not sure if / when the data for NFZ will apply directly to the drone to prevent taking off in that area if at all in Australia. Apparently it works that way in some foreign locations

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada